Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need help from anyone: Netgear 814v2 router on my PB15

Need help from anyone: Netgear 814v2 router on my PB15
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 12:31 PM

I have airport installed on my Alum15" powerbook. I have a cable modem with a netgear 814v2

When I got the powerbook, it seemed to work fine on the Netgear. One day I check my wireless connection, and it says "Linksys" clearly I was on a neighbors unsecure network. When I try to switch back to the netgear through "Internet Connection" it picks up the signal, but no internet action comes through it.

When i switch back to the Linksys, I have no problems and can suft through a neighbors network. The only security I have on my network is Mac address filtering. I made sure the Netgear has the apple Mac address listed.

Is this a common problem with Netgear and Macs?

Thanks for any help.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 12:55 PM

Try turning both the modem and router off. Then turn the modem on and wait for it to get an IP and initialize (watch the lights). Now turn the MR814 on. Try connecting.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 07:09 AM

Damn� wish I had that kind of neighbor before I got my 814.

Ok, I don't remember where this is, but there's a setting in Airport to "Connect to last used network".

You may have to manually type your own network name and pass to connect and it should remember that afterwards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules