Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wobble and rattle

wobble and rattle
egg
Dec 2, 2003, 07:53 AM

I've a week old 12" Powerbook (im a new switcher) which as the wobble problem. However, the wobble goes away when I place the book on a sheet of glass. So, I guess this is by design :-)

But now I have a new problem. If I pick the powerbook up and tip it back and forth in my hands, I can hear a rattle on the left side. Sounds like a screw inside is rolling back and forth inside the case.

Anyone else had this problem?

egg  (op)
Dec 2, 2003, 03:37 PM

does no ones unit make this sound?? :-(

bovie
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 03:45 PM

Go to a apple store if you can. Or Call Apple. I would tell them this is unaccepctable, when you buy a new laptop it should sit Flat.

Seqiro
Dec 20, 2003, 03:25 AM

I just noticed my new 17" making this rattling noise in the very same area tonight.

Is this normal? Anyone?

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by Seqiro:
I just noticed my new 17" making this rattling noise in the very same area tonight.

Is this normal? Anyone?
My new 17" does not rattle. Get it checked out at Apple Store.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2003, 10:03 AM

My PB 17" has also developed a rattle on the left hand side after I started using a Kensington lock. It's the micro-saver one, which is approved for the 17".

Are you guys using a Kensington lock?

The rattle for me is coming from behind the Kensington lock hole, it looks like some kind of reinforcement ring, or something, has come off (it is not the silver colored plastic lining the hole).

Seqiro
Dec 20, 2003, 10:11 AM

Yes, I am using a Kensington lock. And it DOES sound like it's coming from there.. interesting.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 10:50 AM

When I first got my 12" PB it seemed to sit on all surfaces nice and flat. I had read about the wobble before buying it so I was very careful to check. I recently had the display replaced and now it has a wobble on most surfaces, and needless to say I am very bothered by this. I am going back to the shop yet again on Monday to discuss with the service guy.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 11:07 AM

ive got the wobble too after getting my screen replaced. Im not going to bother with this PB anymore, I was already well disappointed before the wobble.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by s4iscool:
ive got the wobble too after getting my screen replaced. Im not going to bother with this PB anymore, I was already well disappointed before the wobble.
I wonder what it is about getting the display replaced that creates the wobble?? Argh, so frustrating!

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 04:11 PM

It's how the top case was installed caused the wobble. They probably didn't install it on a flat surface.

Mine had wobble when I first bought it. But after installing a new hard drive, which requires me to open the top case up, the wobble is now gone.

When replacing your LCD, they too have to open up the top case.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 04:12 PM

they have to mess with the casing and i think just tiny bits of over torque on these tiny screws can cause the case to warp. I had my keyboard replaced as well, which means pretty much full disassembly of the base case to remove the keyboar. Im sure when the case is put back together, it gets twisted and torqued in ways that warp the laptop. Sad quality
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 06:23 PM

Very sad. Well at the shop I am told they have a "special" flat table to test such things. I'll show him the warping and make sure that they restore it to perfectly flat. The last thing I need is my bloody laptop wobbling around while I'm typing on it.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 04:11 PM

I just got back from my local shop and no more wobble. It took maybe 3 minutes for him to make the adjustment and now it sits perfectly flat. I'm very relieved as I thought I was going nutso.

So, so far so good. Hopefully this ends my saga of problems *knocking on wood*.

Seqiro
Feb 1, 2004, 12:35 AM

Yes, I am using a Kensington lock. And it DOES sound like it's coming from there.. interesting.
As an update:

I..um...a friend of mine noticed that the rattle was getting worse. This friend could see the offending piece of metal through the Kensington lock hole and tried to get it out with needlenose pliers but it was too big and decidedly inflexible.

So, this friend armed with the 17" PowerBook service manual decided to do some very careful surgery. He removed the top case and found the broken piece inside and removed it.

As it turns out, it is a piece of VERY tough metal surrounding the microsaver lock hole that has broken off. The metal is unbelievably strong (likely so the lock can serve its purpose), but it's only held on to the side of the case by 4 very small pins made of weak plastic, which of course broke.

Theoretically my friend could have sent his very expensive PowerBook in for repair, but as it is currently his only mobile computer and he needs it more than he needs a perfectly functioning microsaver lock (he never lets it out of his sight anyway) and is a computer tech by trade, he decided to go this route. Everything is fine now and at least he doesn't have to worry about the piece of metal bouncing its way to the logic board to really muck things up.

So if you are experiencing this rattle like my friend was, don't want to be without your 'Book, and are confident about taking apart your laptop, it might be a worth it to you. You should be able to see the piece inside the hole with a flashlight to determine if its the problem. Otherwise, send it to Apple.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 03:00 AM

As an update:

I..um...a friend of mine noticed that the rattle was getting worse. This friend could see the offending piece of metal through the Kensington lock hole and tried to get it out with needlenose pliers but it was too big and decidedly inflexible.

So, this friend armed with the 17" PowerBook service manual decided to do some very careful surgery. He removed the top case and found the broken piece inside and removed it.

As it turns out, it is a piece of VERY tough metal surrounding the microsaver lock hole that has broken off. The metal is unbelievably strong (likely so the lock can serve its purpose), but it's only held on to the side of the case by 4 very small pins made of weak plastic, which of course broke.

Theoretically my friend could have sent his very expensive PowerBook in for repair, but as it is currently his only mobile computer and he needs it more than he needs a perfectly functioning microsaver lock (he never lets it out of his sight anyway) and is a computer tech by trade, he decided to go this route. Everything is fine now and at least he doesn't have to worry about the piece of metal bouncing its way to the logic board to really muck things up.

So if you are experiencing this rattle like my friend was, don't want to be without your 'Book, and are confident about taking apart your laptop, it might be a worth it to you. You should be able to see the piece inside the hole with a flashlight to determine if its the problem. Otherwise, send it to Apple.

My PB 17" (REV A) has the exact same problem. Amazing. I was starting to think it was a one off thing.

I will most likely return it to Apple to be serviced at some stage though.

Any chance of getting a photo of the offending piece of metal? There is only so much you can see through the Kensington lock hole.

Forum Links
Forum Rules