Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" latch not retracting

12" latch not retracting
jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 11:16 PM

My 12" 867 PB's latch doesn't retract anymore when I open it. It's not too big of a deal, I just push it closed with my finger, but I definately thought it was one of the cooler little features my computer had when I got it.

Is there any way to fix this? A drop of oil on it, or something similar that will return it to like-new condition?

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 11:48 AM

I've got the same problem. I don't have a solution. I'm just sympathizing.

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 21, 2003, 01:17 PM

My 12 inch Powerbook, although never had this problem when I first got it in February, has also developed this problem.

With a little patienence I found a solution:

Close the lid slowly... as you close the lid of the Powerbook - just about an inch away before it shuts gently close the lid the rest of that distance over a period of about 1-3 seconds.

I find that it works always that way, and I don't need to force the lid shut or push it down, the little hook needs just a little bit more time to drop down properly/far enough to catch.

jld  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 08:49 PM

The latch closes fine. No issues there.

The problem is when I'm opening the lid, the hook does not go back into the lid when it is open. Then I push it closed with my finger.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2004, 08:05 PM

i'm having the opposite problem:

my latch never comes out. i have to use a pen or knife to pry it out before closing just to get the lid to stay closed on my 12".

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by jld:
The latch closes fine. No issues there.

The problem is when I'm opening the lid, the hook does not go back into the lid when it is open. Then I push it closed with my finger.
daymn

Forum Links
Forum Rules