Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple's new 'white pixel' policy?

Apple's new 'white pixel' policy?
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 11:50 AM

Having just moved to a new BTO 12" iBook from my trusy flawless G3 Powerbook, I was surprised to find in my first two weeks:

1. a very annoying white pixel
2. that the supplied Apple extension cord caused a buzzying/cycling sound
3. that Apple Care could care less about my issues

When I called 2 mornings ago, I was told a one pixel is 'acceptable' - funny do car makers allow for chips on the windshields when you've paid for a brand new car and call that 'acceptable'?

I also mentioned I have three thumbsized smudges/pixel? that are darker than the rest of the screen in my 5, 7 and 8 oclock positions along the edges of the screen.

So the Apple Care person overnighted me the replacement AC cord but...

I'm told they will not look at my screen problems.
I'm to take it to the Apple Genius bar and have it assessed (by someone who's not trained in technical issues?)

Is this stupid? Or is it just a continuation of Apple's continuing bad quality issues and indifferent attention to its customers?

Anyone else been forced by Apple Care to take your problematic Apple product to the Apple Genius Bar at a store for technical assessment?

Thanks.
I'm NOT a happy Apple customer these days.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2004, 12:06 PM

NO laptop manufacturers care much about a few dead pixels, especially if they're around the edge of the display. I believe Apple wants about 4 or 5 before they'll look at it. Comparing dead pixels to chips in a windshield isn't accurate. A more accurate comparision would be to inconsistancies in the the fit of body parts of the car, which you will find in almost any car, especially North American models. Also, you're iBook isn't a $15,000+ product. I've heard that lightly massaging the pixel can unstick it.

As for the extension buzzing, that's a bit strange and could be a fire hazard if it's being caused by loose wires. I would deffinitely have this checked out.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 12:07 PM

I doubt there is a computer company anywhere that would replace your product because the screen has one bad pixel. The analogy to cars doesn't work because LCDs are expected to have bad pixels every now and then. Also, I really don't think you could have your car replaced because it had a pit in the windshield.

But...have you tried to fix the pixel? Sometimes they can be fixed by gently massaging the area of the screen on and around the pixel.

As for the smudges, they may only show up when the screen is off. When the screen is on, I'd guess the backlight makes them invisible.

But...the Genius bar people will look at it. In my experience they are very very good. And if you're nice, they may be able to do something for you to make you happy.

On a final note. All companies make us mad sometimes. I don't think Apple is any different. But they do make high quality products (compared to their Windows counterparts). I sometimes think Apple owners are more critical than Wintel owners simply because we expect so much more. We pay attention to the details that others overlook. If Windows users had high expectations, they would not be using Windows. See my point?

Mr. Bob
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 01:39 PM

I actually have to say that both power users in any category "wintel or apple" are equally annoyed about small flaws, however I do agree that Apple has done a horrible job taking care of their cliental. Between having bad LCDs, bad cover clips, bad form in the laptop covers that make the note book uneven, play between the LCD and lap top body, bad keyboards, problems and more problems, I think Apple has done a damn poor job at making sure their computers get made right.

I am a slight bit of a perfectionist "damn military seems to do such a thing to you" and currently my Dell 8100 "which I really want to change over from, but see many things to wait on" only has 2 bad pixels. Besides those two pixels, over the 2 year I have had it I have not seen any problems. I like how Apple has there systems, �UNIX, less viruses, lighter then my 8100, and overall just something new� however checking out the apple note books at Tachikawa, the 15 inch power book on display has the lid problem. The pixel thing is not a thing for me because it keeps cost down. I understand when I buy a laptop for less than $5000, that I play a lottery for dead pixels. But I don�t play the lottery for manufacture defects like a bad clip closing my lap top, or having play between the LCD and note book body. All of these things are not what I want to deal with when buying a $3000 15" power book, because I do not have to deal with them when I look at a $1200 gateway or Compac.

I have probably digressed a bit from the main topic here, and I apologize, but I do think bohdanz has a small right to be pizzed. Although the LCD thing like I said earlier is understandable � which Apple should say such a thing while purchasing, and so should all LCD and laptop companies � if I bought a new Apple computer and found there was one small problem with it from the start, Apple better have a perfect model of the press waiting for me when I send it back.

StuartB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 05:59 PM

I must say...I'm not at all impressed about the build quality of my first mac, an iBook G4. Our older Dell laptop is put together great, the LCD is like 1400 by something resolution and the screens flawless...

It just seems like everything needs to be tightened on my iBook. Its got too much play. Stuff needs to be squared, like the battery that sticks out. Luckily I only got one dead pixel but I can't seem to rub it out. I probably won't buy another iBook unless they improve the quality...

radarbob
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 10:54 PM

I've heard that lightly massaging the pixel can unstick it.
Been there, done that. It can work.

As for machine quality, nothing's perfect. My experience has been the opposite from StewartB. The Dell laptop we ordered was DOA right out of the box. "Needs a new screen, new logic board, and complete reinstall of the software" the Dell tech said. We insisted on returning it for a refund.

After all's said and done, after 23 years of using Apple compters, all I can say is my next computer will be a(nother) Macintosh.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2004, 11:38 AM

I've had lots of computers over the years at both work and home. 6 out of my 7 Dells died in less than a year. I've had better luck with Compaq and Toshiba, but best luck with Apple.

But remember, each of us is a small sample size by ourselves. And people that post here are posting problems, not "gee, my computer is working great this week." If 6 out of 7 Dells died, Dell would be out of business. I obviously had bad luck. However, I think Apple is one of the stronger companies in terms of build quality. Most reviewers rate Apple as higher in quality than other companies.

I agree that the new iBook G4 case isn't as strong as the old one. It doesn't feel firm enough. I worry about the plastic cracking in a year or two. We'll have to see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules