Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How Is the Bluetooth Keyboard?

How Is the Bluetooth Keyboard?
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 02:00 AM

What do you think about the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard. How is the feel of the keyboard. I currently own a Powerbook 17" and purchased the Macally USB IceKey and the RF Jr mouse.
I really like the feel and response of the wireless mouse. The keyboard is also good.
It has a scissor like action very similar to a laptop keyboard. I was expecting a wireless version of the keyboard which was announced a while back but it never made it to production. It would be nice to have a wireless keyboard and maybe the Apple Bluetooth keyboard will be a good option. At least it will match the white RF Mouse. Let me know what you think. Thanks

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by PJ G4:
What do you think about the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard. How is the feel of the keyboard. I currently own a Powerbook 17" and purchased the Macally USB IceKey and the RF Jr mouse.
I really like the feel and response of the wireless mouse. The keyboard is also good.
It has a scissor like action very similar to a laptop keyboard. I was expecting a wireless version of the keyboard which was announced a while back but it never made it to production. It would be nice to have a wireless keyboard and maybe the Apple Bluetooth keyboard will be a good option. At least it will match the white RF Mouse. Let me know what you think. Thanks
The BT keyboard blows the pro keyboard out of the water and i'm guessing its on par w/ the eMac/G5 keyboard since they're the same design. It feels VERY good, the keys are much better then the Pro-Keyboard and it just has a nice feel to it.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
The BT keyboard blows the pro keyboard out of the water and i'm guessing its on par w/ the eMac/G5 keyboard since they're the same design. It feels VERY good, the keys are much better then the Pro-Keyboard and it just has a nice feel to it.
I dunno about the BT keyboard but if its like the eMac/G5 keyboard *it* blows. The pro keyboards were very nice and the new ones are so cheap and crappy. I'm really disappointed and have been refusing to buy the BT one because I've been told its EXACTLY like the eMac/G5 keyboard.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

unimaxium
Jan 11, 2004, 05:37 PM

I got a bluetooth keyboard for my G5 and yeah the BT one is just like the one that comes with the G5/emac. I think the feel of the new design is great, and it feels so much better than the pro keyboard. It has a smaller footprint so it is great for typing in your lap and the keys have a great feel to them. I'm really happy with the bluetooth keyboard and really glad I spent the $70.

PeterKG
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
I dunno about the BT keyboard but if its like the eMac/G5 keyboard *it* blows. The pro keyboards were very nice and the new ones are so cheap and crappy. I'm really disappointed and have been refusing to buy the BT one because I've been told its EXACTLY like the eMac/G5 keyboard.
It's obvious you haven't compared the two in terms of typing. The new BT keyboard and wired version, sound and feel better to the touch then the Pro keyboard. It is actually built better and has a better seal so dirt and other stuff doesn't end up underneath. The battery life is also very good. The BT version has no USB ports on the back. The footprint is great for a BT model. Nice and small. It's easy to use on your lap or anywhere near your computer. But back to the typing feel and sound it is GREAT compared to the Pro keyboard.
( Last edited by PeterKG; Jan 12, 2004 at 12:01 AM. )
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2004, 08:11 PM

I love my Apple Wireless Keyboard. Feels very comfortable to type on, and hasn't gotten very dirty in the 3 months I've had it. I strongly recommend it.

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 11:18 PM

Another vote for the BT keyboard here. I have mine set up with a 17" PB on an iCurve, along with the BT mouse, and I absolutely love it. Very good for typing, and no more stupid function key!

OreoCookie
Jan 11, 2004, 11:58 PM

The Wireless Keyboard is (apart from the missing cables, of course) virtually identical to that of the eMac, G5, etc.

It `feels' a lot better than the previous generation of Pro Keyboards.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

nate_02
Senior User
Jan 12, 2004, 12:17 AM

I have to have a full size keyboard to edit video on my Powerbook. The BT one is perfect.

I only wish someone had some sort of traveling case or sleeve for it.
-nate

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 02:28 AM

I just got one and I have to agree, it's better than the pro keyboard. The mouse on the other hand is incredibly laggy especially when compared to my fast and smooth logitech. Is this normal?

PeterKG
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
I just got one and I have to agree, it's better than the pro keyboard. The mouse on the other hand is incredibly laggy especially when compared to my fast and smooth logitech. Is this normal?
Go to Versiontracter.com and download MouseZoom. This program will give you extra speed.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 07:22 AM

The mouse is far better than the MX900 BT mouse. I had both.
Have you updated both your BT firmware and software.
The firmware comes with the mouse or is downloadable, and the software downloads via software update.

You would know if you have the firmware update because it allows you to wake the powerbook / mac using the BT mouse?

Let me know if this is the case.

I find that mice are generally slower / laggy on a mac in comparison to windows?

Cheers

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by capetown:
Have you updated both your BT firmware and software.
The firmware comes with the mouse or is downloadable, and the software downloads via software update.

You would know if you have the firmware update because it allows you to wake the powerbook / mac using the BT mouse?

Let me know if this is the case.

I find that mice are generally slower / laggy on a mac in comparison to windows?

Cheers
Errr, what he said. Updating the firmware is a MUST. But, there are two versions ofthe firmware. Download the newest one. Afterwards, mouse is silky smooth and fast. I am very happy with both the keyboard and the mouse. Excellent combo. Though I hope Apple releases a two button mouse with scrollwheel soon!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by PJ G4:
What do you think about the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard?
I absolutely love it. It's full-sized but no larger than necessary. Excellent feel and responsiveness, just like a USB keyboard. Long battery life. A pleasure to use, especially if you are fond of using a PowerBook in closed-lid (clamshell) mode!

( Last edited by selowitch; Jan 13, 2004 at 02:24 PM. )

billybob128
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 02:00 PM

i have no idea on earth how you can say that i have used both and find my mx900 (apart from the missing firmware which should get sorted) a ton better than my brothers apple mouse and i used to prefer the one button to two.

however the keyboard from apple is awesome
( Last edited by billybob128; Jan 15, 2004 at 07:44 PM. )

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
Whatever, the keyboard is great. Feedback from the keys is really good and it's weighted and feels as solid and sturdy as a brick.

Maybe you just lack the money to buy one so you need to hate on it.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
It's obvious you haven't compared the two in terms of typing. The new BT keyboard and wired version, sound and feel better to the touch then the Pro keyboard. It is actually built better and has a better seal so dirt and other stuff doesn't end up underneath. The battery life is also very good. The BT version has no USB ports on the back. The footprint is great for a BT model. Nice and small. It's easy to use on your lap or anywhere near your computer. But back to the typing feel and sound it is GREAT compared to the Pro keyboard.
Actually I have if you will reread my previous statement. If it's just like the eMac/G5 keyboard... which it is... I can't stand it. We have several of them here and its the worst keyboard I've ever used. The pro keyboard wasn't bad but then again mac keyboards just feel too weak to me. There isn't enough resistance in the keys for good tactile feedback.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Whatever, the keyboard is great. Feedback from the keys is really good and it's weighted and feels as solid and sturdy as a brick.

Maybe you just lack the money to buy one so you need to hate on it.
I dont think it feels good at all. It feels cheap to me when I'm typing. Maybe it's just the years of PC kbs but I did have the black pro kb and I have used the eMac/G5 keyboard. My fav kb of all time as far as the feel while typing was the ones with low profile keys that came with the old IBM EduQuest computers. The keys had great feedback without the annoying clicking that was common to kbs then.

lol doubtful on the money thing... just purchased a new powerbook and was wanting an external bt kb and mouse (which I also get discounted from Apple.. gotta love the developer and student discounts). I just haven't found one I like yet. Right now I'm considering the logitech duo kb and mouse package that is also being discussed in the forums and its nearly twice that of the apple ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules