Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Windows NT 4 and Proxy 2 Blocking Our Macs

Windows NT 4 and Proxy 2 Blocking Our Macs
Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2004, 10:22 PM

Hey All,

We just moved into a Windows NT 4 based network, and they use Proxy 2. We're running Panther on all of our Macs. They gave us a Proxy server address, a port number, and a user name and password for the Proxy server. We entered all of that information into the Proxies Network Pane of the System Preferences. Unfortunately, none of our Applications can access the internet, with the exception of Microsoft Applications (Internet Explorer & Entourage). We're stumped, and simply cannot work with just Internet Explorer and Entourage. We've got no Software Update, no Safari, Sherlock, nothing! Safari and the iTunes Music Store give an "error 407" message. Our Windows System Administrator is as stumped as we are. Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

One more thing - when we plug our gigabit switch into their network to attempt getting on their network, we can no longer see our own Macs through File Sharing! It seems their NT Server & Proxies prevent us from even accessing eachother.
( Last edited by Cory Bauer; Jan 6, 2004 at 11:25 PM. )
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 02:20 AM

Bump. Anyone got any ideas?
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 09:41 AM

I work in a setup similar to yours.

Here, it's "Everybody" that as access to the Internet and such, we don't use authentication. I believe the problem you are experiencing is that you need the application to be authentified using NTLM so the proxy allows the connection to go trough. Maybe if you tried installed the NTLM module on your Macs so you could access network shares on the server it would work, but I'm not shure..

I hate Proxy 2, it's such a crap.. long life Squid!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Drizzt:

I hate Proxy 2, it's such a crap.. long life Squid!
Do as he ^^^ said and get yourself a linux box with RedHat 9 and put Squid on it, you will be glad you did. I dumped M$ Proxy years ago. While you are at it, install Snort on the same box.

Is your GB switch on a different subnet? Ensure that you turn off Tree Spanning. Most switches have this off by default. What kind of switch is it?
( Last edited by SMacTech; Jan 16, 2004 at 10:33 AM. )

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 10:02 AM

Does Proxy 2 support SOCKS? I believe it does, and Panther has limited support for it.

Terri
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 10:31 AM

I would also like to know how to do this since I am finding the same problem. Nothing but IE can be used to surf the web and forget about trying to use Software Update.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by quadgrande:
Does Proxy 2 support SOCKS? I believe it does, and Panther has limited support for it.
Yes, it does SOCKS 5. There is some helpful information here and at M$ site

Terri
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 10:59 AM

The new Mozilla just came out this morning and i see this in its new features, "Mozilla 1.6 includes a new cross-platform NTLM authentication mechanism. This feature brings NTLM authentication to the non-Windows Mozilla users for the first time and also delivers more robust and featureful NTLM support to users of older Windows versions."

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2004, 12:50 PM

Make sure you've enabled 'basic' authentification on the proxy.

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by laxthxdude:
Make sure you've enabled 'basic' authentification on the proxy.
Thanks everyone. laxthxdude, where would we find the basic authentication option? I mentioned this to the Server administrator, and he wasn't sure if this is an option in Proxy 2, but he's going to look.

To everyone who recommended getting something other than Proxy 2, that's probably the best solution, but unfortunately not an option for us. We can't expect them to tear up their entire server setup and disrupt everyone's workflow just because we brought a couple of Macs into the office.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 05:35 PM

Bit out of my depth here but when our few Mac;s had the same problem at work (IE can connect but nothing else), I installed Authoxy and it worked fine.

Why don't you give that a try....

Regards,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Cory Bauer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Jordan:
Bit out of my depth here but when our few Mac;s had the same problem at work (IE can connect but nothing else), I installed Authoxy and it worked fine.

Why don't you give that a try....

Regards,

Jordan
Tried that. Didn't work. But thanks. We actually bypassed their Proxy server today and have a direct line running from the DSL modem. Works great
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules