Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Way to Remote control XP Home from Mac?

Way to Remote control XP Home from Mac?
JeremyS
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

Hi I am wondering if there is a program or someway to get Windows XP Home edition to allow remote logging in and control via my Mac so when she needs help I can just remotely login and show her instead of having to drive across the city.

Anyway to do this?

I guess I would have to use Microsoft's remote program for the Mac, but is there something to install in XP Home to allow this because I think it doesn't support this feature out the box.

thanks!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2004, 08:53 PM

You could use VNC if both of you have a somewhat fast internet connection. If not, not much is going to work well.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2004, 09:00 PM

Get XP pro. Remote Desktop is one of the few reasons to even bother with XP at all. Might as well use win2k if you aren't going to use XP Pro.

Or use VNC.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

galarneau
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 09:36 PM

I don't think vanilla Win2k has this capability. You need to have Win2k Terminal Server.

Personally, I'm trying to aquire WinNT 4 Terminal Server so I can have a remote Win Box for doing my evil bidding, and not have to deal with WinXP Pro.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 10:52 PM

thanks, after looking at VNC it looks as if you can only view the other desktop, and not actually take control is that right?

As for connection speed, one user has 5 times faster than dialup and the other ADSL.

If so is Microsoft's remote desktop client and WIN XP the only option for me?

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 12:12 AM

You can have full control over the desktop using VNC - and it's free.

You need to install the VNC server client on the remote machine (install as a 'service' so it runs all the time - the option is in the server client setup).
Then set a password.

You need the IP address of the remote machine in order to login. The IP will change on dial-up accounts and some broadband accounts.
You simply launch VNC from your internet-connected machine, type-in the IP address of the remote machine, and it'll prompt you for the password.

Extremely simple to use. probably the most fascinating piece of freeware in existence.
( Last edited by kindbud; Jan 20, 2004 at 12:21 AM. )
the hillbilly threat is real, y'all.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by kindbud:
You can have full control over the desktop using VNC - and it's free.

You need to install the VNC server client on the remote machine (install as a 'service' so it runs all the time - the option is in the server client setup).
Then set a password.

You need the IP address of the remote machine in order to login. The IP will change on dial-up accounts and some broadband accounts.
You simply launch VNC from your internet-connected machine, type-in the IP address of the remote machine, and it'll prompt you for the password.

Extremely simple to use. probably the most fascinating piece of freeware in existence.
Kindbud aka Spliff, has spoken. However, there is, apparently, a way to give WinXP Home the Networking features of XPPro. I remember reading an article on it a while back and if I could find that article now I would post it.
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules