Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Taking Apart a Slot Load imac (Little Insight)

Taking Apart a Slot Load imac (Little Insight)
Dex13
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 01:39 AM

So I took apart my imac to put in a new hard drive.
A Lil Background on the HDD.
  • Was In a Gateway
    Got a new HD and installed it replacing the old one (By A repair guy at Gateway)
    It was a 20gb Hd so I decided that I would replace my original 10gb in my imac.
    Turns out the damn repair guys gave us back a 4gb HD ..... I only noticed this after having taken apart and putting back the imac twice.

On the HD/CD compartment are 4 screws. According to the Macworld How To online these are standard screws and can be taken out w/ a screwdriver. Not True. After stripping one completely I noticed that they were actually torque screws. So I ended up using the pliers to unscrew them.

maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 07:00 AM

If I remember correctly the tray-loading iMac used phillips screws, so maybe that's what the Macworld article was referring to.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 12:54 PM

I replaced the optical drive in my slot loading iMac. They were ordinary Phillips screws. I don't even know what "torque screws" are. Do you mean TorX?

Chris

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I replaced the optical drive in my slot loading iMac. They were ordinary Phillips screws. I don't even know what "torque screws" are. Do you mean TorX?

Chris
probably Torx.

It looked like a regular 4 point screw but in the exact middle was a tiny point coming up.

Maybe the optical drives screws were phillips...

And btw can u replace the optical drive from the bottom as well?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 01:45 PM

It looked like a regular 4 point screw but in the exact middle was a tiny point coming up.
Interesting. Those aren't TorX. TorX are shaped like a six pointed star.

You could be onto something, though. Since I didn't replace the hard drive, I wasn't looking closely at the screws holding it in place. I just know the optical drive screws were regular screws.

I disassembled the whole iMac to the point where I removed the entire HD/CD carrier. If you've got it that far apart, the hard drive and the optical drive are both very easy to replace.

Chris

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 25, 2004, 03:29 PM

I have replaced hard drives on many, many, many, many slot-load iMacs, and I've never, ever seen a slot-load iMac use anything but Phillips #1 and #2 screws (well, and some jeweller's Phillips for the optical drive).

Has your iMac ever been worked on before? It's possible it had non-factory screws.

Or perhaps you were looking at screws on the drive itself -- not the screws that hold it into the computer. Hard drives sometimes use security screws as a method to keep people from tinkering with the insides of a drive (thus ruining it).

Although it's not the "official" way, it's easy to replace the hard drive without removing the whole drive bracket assembly. To replace the optical drive, however, you must indeed remove said assembly. Then you can unscrew the optical drive bracket, to which the optical drive is connected with some VERY tiny screws. Also, you have to remember to swap the IDE adapter board at the end of the optical drive.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules