Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A Power Mac G5 (dual) gets defiled.

A Power Mac G5 (dual) gets defiled. (Page 2)
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
He probably didn't know about that option.

He's got a link to his hotmail address on the page. I wonder how many nasty emails he's gotten as a result of this travesty.
I'm sure that MyDoom has taken care of things for him.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
Personally, I think it's fake.
Yeah, me too - just because it's so unbelievable.

He should throw it the box and storm into an Apple store shouting "WTF is this crap...here I was, all psyched for my new G5, and then I boot it up and Windows XP loads? Get your manager over ASAP."

Then he could make a movie of himself spray painting G5 billboards with the quote "Apple's G5 is really last year's Dell Dimension in a metal case".

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:

Maybe for graduation they'll buy him a $60,000 Lexus so he can put a rebuilt chevy small block V8 in it.
actually i think that would be a kick ass mod, put an LT1 in that sucker and I will drive it

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 08:24 PM

He probably didn't know about that option.

He's got a link to his hotmail address on the page. I wonder how many nasty emails he's gotten as a result of this travesty.
5 from me so far.
iGeek

Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 08:47 PM

What a ****ing moron.

He wanted a Dell.

So, he ripped out all the parts from a G5 and built himself a custom PC. That, my friend is not a Dell.

This kid is a dumbass.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 27, 2004, 08:51 PM

How hard would it be to get an empty case? That's the only other way I could see him faking this page.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 08:57 PM

OMG I found a picture of him:
iGeek

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
It's a G5. No Virtual PC yet.
Too bad I wasn't the kid that got handed two G5 processors and a G5 mobo. God, i could've built such a nice Tuppermac for next to nothing!

Why can't the G5 run Virtual PC?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by UR-20:
Why can't the G5 run Virtual PC?
The software doesn't work on the G5.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
The software doesn't work on the G5.
Why?

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 09:14 PM

Why?
As I had it explained to me, it's a combination of the G5 CPU and Panther.
iGeek

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2004, 09:14 PM

Why?
Something 64bit related.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 09:22 PM

The PPC 970 (G5) chip does not have the ability to switch endianness on the fly, (endianness is the order in which data is read/written, x86 uses little endian, PPC uses big endian) only at boot time.

G4's, G3's etc all the way back to the PPC 601 could switch dynamically whenever they wanted. (the endianness would be switched termporarily whenever VPC was executing any code)

I expect MS will have to reengineer the code translation engine of VPC to reorder the data in software. Who knows how much of a hit (if any) it will take.

Re: PC in G5 case. I reckon this guy just temporarily pulled the innards out and took some pics with a PC motherboard double sided taped inside there just for the shock effect. (which has worked very well it seems)

Yes, I like to use parenthesis' a lot.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Beewee
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
It's a G5. No Virtual PC yet.
Too bad I wasn't the kid that got handed two G5 processors and a G5 mobo. God, i could've built such a nice Tuppermac for next to nothing!
Oops, my bad. Any idea when its supposed to be out though?
I wish I could be there with a camera when his parents find out what he did. "He just put his hands on his head and was in shock."
While his father kicked his ass!

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 09:40 PM

This creature is an insult to the entire macintosh community. His parents should be cursing the day they met!

Grrr... if I can get my hands on him its going to be rather damaging.

Steve jobs should apply foot to ass for a few hours... I'll help

Creatures this stupid shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
actually i think that would be a kick ass mod, put an LT1 in that sucker and I will drive it
LS1 if you're going to bother.

The Lexus gs300 is RWD, so you're already halfway there.

http://www.speedscenewiring.com

Course, you'd need to either adapt the Lexus trans, or mount a LS1 compatible trans in it, but those aren't insurmountable.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 10:00 PM

Hello as if the GS300 isn't ballsy enough as it is. I mean really, for a stock machine they are pretty damn decent. But if you really want to turn a $90,000 car into a riced out hyundai excel, go right ahead.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2004, 10:11 PM

Hello as if the GS300 isn't ballsy enough as it is. I mean really, for a stock machine they are pretty damn decent. But if you really want to turn a $90,000 car into a riced out hyundai excel, go right ahead.
That's 90k AUS, I hope. And it's not my bright idea, it's G4ME's.

Although, I seem to remember Lexus prepping a vehicle for speed testing at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Can't seem to find a thing on it.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 27, 2004, 10:24 PM

Re: PC in G5 case. I reckon this guy just temporarily pulled the innards out and took some pics with a PC motherboard double sided taped inside there just for the shock effect. (which has worked very well it seems)
Except that he cut a hole in the back.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 10:37 PM

yeah the guys a moron, but bah who cares more money for apple, oh i bet the next thing he does is install an osx wannabe theme for xp and run osx ripoff apps on it haha

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 11:55 PM

I hope this isn't real, anyway. It sure does seem like it is, though.

I think Comic Book Guy is appropriate here:

There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 11:58 PM

Yeah, I bet the first application he installs is WinExpos�.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 12:06 AM

what kind of parents are they that they had no idea of what kind of computer their kid wanted

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 12:22 AM

A message from a PC using fag friend of mine:

"i hate apples and am a huge pc fan, but i still feel sick and want to vomit all over myself then rape the kid who did this with a scimitar. a rusty one. with lye on it. and then i'd leave his mangled body for the thelmaphant god"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 12:29 AM

why would you waste all that money?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 12:35 AM

Athlons are THAT good, folks.

Obviously none of you have used one else you wouldn't be here at a Mac forum.

That being said, he prolly doubled his framerates in Quake Timedemo.

carry on.
the hillbilly threat is real, y'all.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 12:39 AM

that little son of a bitch.
im physically angry with him 'cause i was just sitting here thinking about how i could possibly get one.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:
A message from a PC using fag friend of mine:

"i hate apples and am a huge pc fan, but i still feel sick and want to vomit all over myself then rape the kid who did this with a scimitar. a rusty one. with lye on it. and then i'd leave his mangled body for the thelmaphant god"
Yeah, a "friend" of yours hmmm? riiiiiiiiight.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by kindbud:
nice zinger... but really, with on-board graphics and shared VRAM?

C'mon, man.. the board didn't even have an AGP slot. It's probably some shitty SiS video chipset too. If it was anything good, he'd of probably said. (I'm guessing he used a board like this one, the one on NewEgg that most closely matches his description.)

If he actually used good parts, I wouldn't mind so much. Sure, I'd still think that he's being indignant by trying to hide this from his parents and basically being non-appreciative of their very expensive gift, but at least it'd be a worthy hack.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 01:27 AM

carry on.
So...he should use an expensive Mac for the case? He could have returned it for $3k and had a lot left over after getting a new PC. Obviously you think too much about mac-pc rivalry and not enough about wasted money.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
So...he should use an expensive Mac for the case? He could have returned it for $3k and had a lot left over after getting a new PC. Obviously you think too much about mac-pc rivalry and not enough about wasted money.
He could have bought just the CASE.
You can acquire them through proper channels with a little research. I did this when I was developing security products for Apples.

I still have a few old shells. Only cost me about $20 each at the time. I could probably get a G5 Shell for a buck fifty.

Hell, he could have gone to a welding shop and had some cool case fabricated for him! and then had a one-of-a-kind, had it dipped and coated with his choice of covering, or even anodized black, or something cooler.

I think I just gave myself an idea for a product to make and sell to idiots like this.

What do you all think they'd pay for a cool G5-ish case?

I''m thinking $250.00

Industrio (TM) Cases

hmmmmmmmmmm.

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Yeah, a "friend" of yours hmmm? riiiiiiiiight.
Yes. A friend of mine, smart ass.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 01:42 AM

anyone save these pictures so those of us late to the game can see them?

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:
Yes. A friend of mine, smart ass.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2004, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by sworthy:
anyone save these pictures so those of us late to the game can see them?
The pictures are there, the image server is getting slammed. Just keep trying to load them, to help keep the image server busy. In fact, a small php script to reload page and pictures all night might be just the thing.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 03:04 AM

hmm I feel anger, disappointment, envy .. dammit, that son a bitch inspires the worst human feelings ...
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 03:10 AM

Someone should email a link to this thread

Ken Masters
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 04:08 AM

Being a geek, "which is what he is" i would assume pc games is a biggi, so trading mother boards is a must. I did the same thing with my sawtooth G4.

I hate to say it, but i put a PC motherboard/killer Graphics Card in replace of the original G4 board. (I have a 500Mhz Dual anyway)

I personally think its his parents fault.

If i was a PC user and someone tried to shove a MAC down my throat i would burn it too (so to say).

It didn't matter what the cost was, if you don't want something, you don't want something!!!. If someone gave me a Gamecube for Christmas, i would trade it in for a $2 pocket knife.

I think the person posted this just to teas Mac users. "I know its a good comp, but i don't want one, and you can't make me use it"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2004, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
Being a geek, "which is what he is" i would assume pc games is a biggi, so trading mother boards is a must. I did the same thing with my sawtooth G4.

I hate to say it, but i put a PC motherboard/killer Graphics Card in replace of the original G4 board. (I have a 500Mhz Dual anyway)

I personally think its his parents fault.

If i was a PC user and someone tried to shove a MAC down my throat i would burn it too (so to say).

It didn't matter what the cost was, if you don't want something, you don't want something!!!. If someone gave me a Gamecube for Christmas, i would trade it in for a $2 pocket knife.

I think the person posted this just to teas Mac users. "I know its a good comp, but i don't want one, and you can't make me use it"
That post is as dumb as the kid who ripped up that G5. If I got something I didn't want, and it was of value, I'd 1) return it for the full price, or 2) sell it. Then use the money to get something I want.

I have an idea. Next time you get something that retails over $50 that you don't like, I'll take it off your hands for $5 so you don't have to look at it. Any time it happens, just call me. I'll be your bad-gift-goto-guy. K?

Man, if I was a PC user and didn't want a dual-G5, I'd have replaced it with the most kick ass PC setup possible. Either that, or I'd keep it around so I know what the Mac world is about. If someone bought me an expensive Dell, I'd sell it off in a second. Then I'd use the money to build a PC and put the other $1000 in my pocket.

BTW, what you did to your Sawtooth isn't that bad, and isn't what I was referring to as "dumb." They are relatively cheap, and the cases are cheaper and readily available via eBay. I'd consider that option if I built a PC, too, if I was interested in the hack challenge. However, personally I'd just get the parts that fit together 'cause I'm not into modding.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2004, 05:00 AM

but I wanted a Dell for Christmas
Install an Athlon motherboard
use it mostly for Internet, ripping music/DVDs
Someone check me on this. Isn't Dell an all-Intel shop, no AMD hardware for sale?

So we are supposed to believe that he:
  • was too short on money to buy an SATA controller after giving away $2000 worth of ebay parts
  • wanted a Dell P4, so he spent a bunch of work installing a non-AGP Athlon board
  • doesn't want his parents to find out but photographed the whole thing and webposted it
  • wanted to keep the fans but could not be bothered to visit Apple's developer pages for pinout data on them
  • uses his boxes for surfing and pirating music/movies, but didn't boot the G5 up first to find most of the stuff he wanted either preinstalled or freely downloadable
  • changed out the original optical drive as part of the mod. Tossed a fully PC-compatible superdrive that would have been very useful for his burning habits (it looks to me from the pictures like the optical drive is different before/after - but he kept the case's optical drive door. From what I've read, making a new drive work with that door is rather tricky)
The more I look at this story, the fishier it sounds. Like the website wanted more ad traffic, so they bought a G5 case, borrowed a full G5, and wrote up a story complete with a likely-sounding email address. Mac users have a habit of visiting negative stories in large numbers, an easy way to drive up your traffic figures.

I have no use for either a PC or an Xbox, but if someone gave me either or both, they would get sold or traded for whatever I could get for them. You don't burn 3K for kicks, to 'rub it in' to your Mac friends and parents. If gaming is the issue, putting in a non-AGP motherboard wouldn't be too swift either.

This story is starting to sound contrived and really, really stupid.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 28, 2004, 05:08 AM

The PPC 970 (G5) chip does not have the ability to switch endianness on the fly, (endianness is the order in which data is read/written, x86 uses little endian, PPC uses big endian) only at boot time.

G4's, G3's etc all the way back to the PPC 601 could switch dynamically whenever they wanted. (the endianness would be switched termporarily whenever VPC was executing any code)

I expect MS will have to reengineer the code translation engine of VPC to reorder the data in software. Who knows how much of a hit (if any) it will take.

Yes, I like to use parenthesis' a lot.
Only the G3 and G4 can switch endianness on the fly -- that's why, at one point (I think it was version 4), VPC became G3/G4-only so it could use that function, with a resultant significant speed boost. For older PPC CPUs, VPC 3 remained available for a while.

Presumably, to make VPC run on the G5, they'll just re-integrate some old PPC 601/603/604-series code that doesn't rely on endianness-switching.

The plural of parenthesis is parentheses, not parenthesises.

tooki

P.S. Just a little factoid: a lot of Wintel people balk that Macs are big-endian, but the fact is that the Intel x86-series architecture is the only one I (or anyone I know) am aware of that ISN'T big-endian. Note that normal decimal mathematics are big-endian.

version
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 07:46 AM

carry on.

Very true.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
The more I look at this story, the fishier it sounds. Like the website wanted more ad traffic, so they bought a G5 case, borrowed a full G5, and wrote up a story complete with a likely-sounding email address. Mac users have a habit of visiting negative stories in large numbers, an easy way to drive up your traffic figures.

I have no use for either a PC or an Xbox, but if someone gave me either or both, they would get sold or traded for whatever I could get for them. You don't burn 3K for kicks, to 'rub it in' to your Mac friends and parents. If gaming is the issue, putting in a non-AGP motherboard wouldn't be too swift either.

This story is starting to sound contrived and really, really stupid.
His parents don't know, according to the story.

And the PC guys think he's an idiot too (if this true).

I don't think the pix are faked. Still, it's possible he got the case somewhere. (He didn't show pix of the disassembled G5 parts.)

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 09:37 AM

Did anyone get an email back from him?

I sent him an email saying how foolish and naive he is, but I didn't threaten to kill him..

He replied "You don't know my parents. This was the best choice" Or something similar, I already deleted it.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 09:44 AM

What? You mean:

[email protected]

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 10:02 AM

Thats got to be one stupid rich kid if there was ever one... Besides, does anyone else think that apple will make a bundle selling those cases for a premium?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
Besides, does anyone else think that apple will make a bundle selling those cases for a premium?
They would; however, it's whats inside that Apple wants to sell...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
Thats got to be one stupid rich kid if there was ever one... Besides, does anyone else think that apple will make a bundle selling those cases for a premium?
No considering they're not built for PCs. The layout is completely wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules