Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Computer REALLY Apple MP3 Player Company?

Apple Computer REALLY Apple MP3 Player Company?
SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 10:47 PM

Maybe it's just me, but ever since having an iPod became an amazingly "cool" thing to have, it seems Apple has shifted nearly ALL their care and promotion, etc. to the iPod/iPod mini/iTunes and have done absolutely nothing in support of every other product on their website. Now, if they're selling, they're selling, and I can't blame a company for promoting what's hot, but it's almost sickening to see Apple Computer turning into Apple the mp3-player-company that does computers on the side.

Maybe gaining marketshare is a positive thing, but it easily strays "thinking different" into "doing whatever sells to the mass market *coughmicrosoftcough*"

Anyone else notice how much attention Apple is giving to the music side of things and how little they're giving to their own computers? I mean, the only SuperBowl ad from them on their own 20th anniversary is just another iPod/iTunes plug...geez.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2004, 10:50 PM

I am growing weary of all the music business as well; however, each dog gets their day...it'll pass along eventually...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 10:50 PM

whatever it takes to lure the people in so you can sell them g5s later.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 10:59 PM

Considering Apple is leading in a lot of areas related to mp3s, I think they should keep that as their flagship. At the same time, they need to diversify their draw with something else that everyone will drool over. Hmmm... about time for a really good "one more thing"

Matt Fahrenbacher

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 11:10 PM

remember about 5 years ago when apple was pushing DVD?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 08:28 AM

The truth is that I TOTALLY agree 100%.

I mentioned this about two weeks ago and everyone jumped on the bandwagon to flame me about it...so go right ahead again.

Apple HAS become a music company -- so much so that they're being sued by Apple Records for infringement. It's not just people that are starting to think that, it's the TRUTH.

Apple's entire focus has shifted away from everything else except music.

Remember the days when Apple made graphics their focus? Then it was iMovie and Final Cut Pro?

Well, the truth is that Apple can't compete any longer in those markets. Even Pixar, Jobs's own movie biz, cannot utilize Macs and OS X. Rendering on a Mac? HA! What a concept, eh?

This is the thing: Apple has run out of innovation. Yes, yes, they can still make a groovy looking box for a notebook or a case for a G5, but in terms of software and app innovation, everything is merely eye candy -- tweaked.

No, Windows isn't that much better, but you know what? It gets the job done -- and done well enough. I hate Windows GUI, prefer Mac OS X, but the fact is that the programs available for Mac are still limited.

I have a friend who writes and illustrates children's novels (editing out name and personal info here -- but he's very successful and recipient of a Caldecottt Award) and I had to say apologetically about our lack of 10 Macs in the house, "I know, I know, I'm sure you have the latest and greatest G5 setup with huge screens and an iMac in every corner -- we're not that connected in this house." He said, "Actually, no. I moved over to Windows because the programs that I'm using are actually much less expensive and in some instances work better than anything I can do now on a Mac. It's sad, but true." I swear, you could have knocked me over with a feather at that point because Chris was one THE most diehard Mac persons I've ever known.

That was when HE brought up the topic, "Besides, Apple has reinvented itself as a music company. I'm not sure where that will get them in the long run, because people need computers for work and design more than they need them for downloading music, but that's clearly the way things are going: Apple has lost tremendous strides in every other market and this is the last market that they can grab and make their own, I suppose."

Well, it's true: Think of Apple now and you think of music and iTunes. Music is great, but reality isn't a freaking musical, you know? Reality is needing a tool that will help you get your work done, help you with design, etc.

Even at the company I worked for (I'm on leave) has now moved away from Macs -- a large media conglomerate for online and print edition news.

Don't get me wrong: I think it's sad because I love Mac OS.

But the truth is that it's reality and I'm not living in delusion.

Now, you can all come out to play -- flame me if you want, but at least I'm not deluding myself with visions of grandeur and comments like, "Apple's marketshare is increasing!" It's not. It's staying the same -- MAYBE rising slightly. But take away iPod and iTunes and what do you have? A company that is treading water by marketing high-priced, limited-apps, computers to the world where you can buy a comparable system running a different OS but the SAME APPS...for much less.

This isn't the 90s and Apple can't expect people to shell out $3K for a notebook when you can buy one that gets the job done for 50% to 66% less.

Rant over, so flame me if you want, but I'm disappointed in Apple.

Apple =
( Last edited by iWrite; Jan 28, 2004 at 08:33 AM. )

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 08:37 AM

i have enough faith in apple to know that there is still a ton of innovation left in them and whatever music kick theyre on currently, is most likely to get up the cash (which they certianly have been doing) to really do some serious R&D. i dunno, but i know that the music phase is probably going to be a fad of sorts and after its all said and done, something huge will come out as a result of a healthy (read- well funded) company.

i can suffer through the music revolution.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 08:52 AM

Maybe you're right about that, but it seems to me that Apple has retreated behind the MP3 and iTunes facade.

Can you IMAGINE if Microsoft all of a sudden turned itself into a downloadable music and MP3 player company?

ALL credibility would be lost. Seriously, REALLY think about that.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 09:03 AM

Solution? Apple buying Adobe and dumping all their Windows products in much the same way that they did with Emagic.

Either that or filling out the rest of the "i" range with Adobe product replacements.

Oh. And coming out with a half-good accounts app for OS X. Only thing available here is MYOB and it just doesn't cut it - a five-year-old QuickBooks for Winblows creams it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
whatever it takes to lure the people in so you can sell them g5s later.
I agree with this. this is the Apple Trojan horse imo. It�s merely a taste of the quality and craftsmanship Apple has to offer. Once they taste it, they WILL want more.

iWrite:
Don�t base your opinions on an award winning children's books author/illustrator. In fact don�t base your opinions on anyone else�s.

You make it sound like Apple has been cornered into this market of music. That really hasn�t been the case.

Technology trends push the industry and community forward.
A brief history:
-Back in the day it was have a GUI to organize your work. That wasn�t an invented just cause it seemed cool (although it did). But rather of the push of technology into homes.
-Then came the whole multimedia thing... QuickTime in 1991(correct me if I�m wrong). I was like 10 and had a PC back then. Apple was pouring a lot of it's resources into the QuickTime technology..... But it wasn�t called the 'multimedia' company, was it ? That was the focus for the industry at that time, and Apple was responding to consumer demand/wants/needs (like any good business). Maybe during this period they didn�t concentrate on their core competencies (making computers for the rest of us, which is why they almost died.)
-Then the Internet. iMac ... nuff said.
-With the Internet came music/file sharing.... and they have accommodated this trend perfectly.

Remember, it's not just computers anymore.... it's what you can do with them that counts; regardless of what Mhz-junkies and peeecee users have to say about that.

Since Jobs returned in 97. it�s my opinion that they have strengthened their core competencies immensely.... I mean they have literally REINVENTED the entire corporation...from:
-Product lines: streamlined. the best distinction in the tech landscape imo
-software: OSX... this might now seem much to you. but this was a monumental effort developing and deploying...no music company could create such a beast, trust me.
-hardware: processors ... G4, G5 computers ..iMac, XServe. Devices... iPod, iSight...not to mention support for almost any digi-camera/camcorder.
-strategy: dynamic introduction of products...continual updates of offerings both hardware and software when they become available.
-Technologies: PDF, QuickTime, MP3/MPEG4, USB, FireWire, 802.11b/g (airport), UNIX,etc,etc...This list is endless...from file management, file system support, CD formats, DVD,etc,etc...

The hierarchy of needs for a technology company and something like this(level 0 being the lowest and most basic):

3:Innovation
2:Applications
1:Ship a product
0:define a hardware & software strategy

In my opinion, iTunes, iTunes Music store and iPod belong to "innovation". they were only possible because every need below it were satisfied. The iPod is like over 2 years old now !! it was because we(Mac users) had the software support, the appropriate hardware (FireWire, etc), and the Application(drivers, and GUI) that Apple could show us what we could actually do with the boxes they ship. (They might have just gotten tired of waiting for third parties to realize the potential) heck you could hook up an iPod to a B&W G3...try doing that with a bagillion-bigahertz computer with a million apps on it that came out around the same time as a B&W.

Now back to the present. Apple is firing on all cylinders.... software, hardware, technologies (RandezVous,etc), GUI, Movies (iMovie, iChat AV, fireWire800, Quicktime, etc), Music (iPod, iTunes,etc)...basically on every front.

And as Jobs said... they are a 'vertical company', so they can get things done faster and better.

On which computer could home users hook up to the Internet faster and far more easily (with support for nextgen terrestrial networks) first? On which platform and home computer could you hook up a digital camcorder and edit movies first? Which platform/home computer was the first to make it breathtakingly easy to burn a professional-looking/polished DVD using the movies you imported on the same hardware? All for no extra cost�..apart from the hardware ?

Forgive me if I�m wrong but... I still see none of that in the windows worlds. What they got is a lot of stuff... Microsoft's basic Human interface Guidelines (with exception of the start button) change with every 'major release' of the OS...and the Apps are still archaic and painfully difficult to navigate and use. I�m not even gonna talk about hardware and drivers...viruses and errors.

My point is... Apple is a tech company. The ipod and iTunes, which are to this day (2 years old) still better than any other offering from a software company, electronic maker or hardware company. The synergy (all working together) at Apple is to be applauded for their recent success.

If Apple seems to be concentrating on Music now, I�m all for it. I love music... and what�s more, I love what Apple is doing for music and with, which enhances my experience.

If you're not a music lover, don�t expect Apple to shift it's strategy and business agenda for you. They are making profit on iPods.... kudos to them for making it available on windows as well.

As far as the super bowl ad goes...I�m glad they didn�t stick to nostalgia and dogma of the 80s. This is 2004...and they are looking forward.... I think it's cool. Yes the original Mac was cool and 1984 was awesome..... But that was then...this is now. Needs/wants of people have changed....Apple better reflect that if they intend on expanding. And that�s just what they have done. This may not appeal to the everyday-run-of-the-mill-basement-dwelling-over clocking-geek.... but when did Apple ever appeal to them?

Apple is doing just fine..... On all fronts. Even in retail...of which i was skeptical. They stand to make a lot of money and lot of converts in the very near future.

Hope that helped put things into perspective for you. I�m gonna go take a nap now....
Cheers.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 28, 2004 at 09:58 AM. )

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Apple =
iWrite =
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 09:19 AM

Disagree, its the most successful and most easily introducible part of the digital hub concept. Everyone understands MP3s and almost everyone likes music. The idea of the iPod is something everyone can wrap thier minds around. As such it will be pushed until they can fabricate (or sell consumers on) the technology to tie the other parts in.
The iPod will allow apple to introduce their player and management program to consumers. Once they become accustomed to it they can branch out to use the other capabilities of the iPod and iLife programs.
The iPod can now upload pictures via a card reader and I am sure a viewable thumbnail capability will follow. iSync will probably also add more features to the iPod with every new generation. And so on.... The iPod is the most highly recognizable product Apple has and they need to milk that notoriety for all they can to sell the company and possibly bring over converts to the real hardware. Will is result in huge jumps in market share, probably not. But even a percentage point or more will be an improvement. In the interim I doubt the profit from the iPods will be criticized by the shareholders.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jyvin563
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 09:30 AM

Well said iWrite, for the most part. However, I have a little different spin on things. In my opinion Apple is focusing on music because they have to! They created a business monster and they have no choice but to continue with it. People are calling the iTunes Music Store, and its' competitors, the new music sales medium. This is a tremendous market to be in. The potential sales and sales growth are enormous; and Apple really started it all. It just happens to be that the iPod took off as well. For the first time in decades Apple has the market share lead in a product line and Mr. Jobs would like to keep it that way. I also think Mr. Jobs is betting a lot on the trojan horse concept with the iPod. I have seen it with my own two eyes with some people I work with. Overall, I think it is smart the direction they are moving in.

Having said all that, if they don't continue to push the G5 and beyond, they are in trouble. If I were running the company, don't everyone laugh too hard, I would do everything I could to put the G5 in my entire computer line up. They turned a lot of heads with the move to that processor, and all of a sudden the G4 looks really old.

Regardless, here's to Apple and their success in music.
"While modern technology has given people powerful new communication tools, it apparently can do nothing to alter the fact that many people have nothing useful to say."

Leo Gomes

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 09:31 AM

I don't totally agree (this is not a flame, just my point of view).

Apple is simply trying to stay profitable while luring people over to their hardware (may that hardware be the iPod or a Mac computer)

It's VERY difficult (if not at times impossible) to get someone to even consider purchasing a Macintosh computer after they have been on the Winblows platfor for a year or two. I've converted two people in my lifetime, and one of them went back to Windows when it was time to buy another computer.

Gaining market-share is VERY difficult in this area. Apple could double their Mac ads and they still wouldn't see all that much of an improvement. The iPod on the other hand is very popular and making a considerable amount of money for the company. Naturally they are going to promote it more so then the Mac.

What I'm more upset about is that the iApps have essentially faded away. I want more iApps!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 09:59 AM

wow thats probably the longest post ive ever made

so sleepy....

John C. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
I agree with this. this is the Apple Trojan horse imo. It�s merely a taste of the quality and craftsmanship Apple has to offer. Once they taste it, they WILL want more.

iWrite:
Don�t base your opinions on an award winning children's books author/illustrator. In fact don�t base your opinions on anyone else�s.

You make it sound like Apple has been cornered into this market of music. That really hasn�t been the case.

Technology trends push the industry and community forward.
A brief history:
-Back in the day it was have a GUI to organize your work. That wasn�t an invented just cause it seemed cool (although it did). But rather of the push of technology into homes.
-Then came the wA series of picture-book gulfs scoops into the western part of the French Mediterranean coastline, less famous and exotic than its other half to the east. Between the watercolor port of St-Tropez and the rugged red rock of the Est�rel, this captivating stretch of the Riviera has drawn sun lovers and socialites since the days of the Grand Tour. Blue-green waters lap at the foot of thriving resort towns -- St-Tropez, Fr�jus, and St-Rapha�l. In winter these port towns are low-key, but in high summer masses flood the beaches, feast on the fish, fill up the marinas, luxuriate in the spa treatments, and crowd the hotels and caf�s.

The eastern slice of the C�te d'Azur is pampered by a nearly tropical climate that sets it apart from the rest of France's southern coast. This region is the heart and soul of the C�te d'Azur. Its waterfront resorts -- Cannes, Antibes, and Menton -- draw energy from the thriving city of Nice, while jutting tropical peninsulas -- Cap Ferrat, Cap Martin -- frame the tiny principality of Monaco. It is here that the real glamour begins: the dreamland of azure waters and indigo sky; white villas with balustrades edging the blue horizon; evening air perfumed with jasmine and mimosa; palm trees and parasol pines silhouetted against sunsets of aprices.hole multimedia thing... QuickTime in 1991(correct me if I�m wrong). I was like 10 and had a PC back then. Apple was pouring a lot of it's resources into the QuickTime technology..... But it wasn�t called the 'multimedia' company, was it ? That was the focus for the industry at that time, and Apple was responding to consumer demand/wants/needs (like any good business). Maybe during this period they didn�t concentrate on their core competencies (making computers for the rest of us, which is why they almost died.)
-Then the Internet. iMac ... nuff said.
-With the Internet came music/file sharing.... and they have accommodated this trend perfectly.

Remember, it's not just computers anymore.... it's what you can do with them that counts; regardless of what Mhz-junkies and peeecee users have to say about that.

Since Jobs returned in 97. it�s my opinion that they have strengthened their core competencies immensely.... I mean they have literally REINVENTED the entire corporation...from:
-Product lines: streamlined. the best distinction in the tech landscape If London contained only its landmarks -- Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Tower of London -- it would still rank as one of the world's top destinations. But England's capital is much more. It's a bevy of British bobbies, an ocean of black umbrellas, and an unconquered continuance of more than 2,000 years of history. A city that loves to be explored, London beckons with great museums, royal pageantry, and quirky historical hideaways.

London is an ancient city whose history greets you at every turn. To gain a sense of its continuity, stand on Waterloo Bridge at the hour of sunset. To the east, the great globe of St. Paul's Cathedral glows golden in the fading sunlight as it has since the 17th century, still majestic amid the towers of glass and steel that hem it in. To the west stand the mock-medieval ramparts of Westminster -- here you'll find the "Mother of Parliaments," which has met here or hereabouts since the 1250s. Past them both snakes the swift, dark Thames, as it flowed past the first Roman settlement here, circa AD 50.

pared to be taken by surprise as well. The best that a great city has to offer often comes in unexpected ways.imo-strategy: dynamic introduction of products...continual updates of offerings both hardware and software when they become available.
-Technologies: PDF, QuickTime, MP3/MPEG4, USB, FireWire, 802.11b/g (airport), UNIX,etc,etc...This list is endless...from file management, file system support, CD formats, DVD,etc,etc...

The hierarchy of needs for a technology company and something like this(level 0 being the lowest and most basic):

3:Innovation
2:Applications
1:Ship a product
0:define a hardware & software strategy

In my opinion, iTunes, iTunes Music store and iPod belong to "innovation". they were only possible because every need below it were satisfied. The iPod is like over 2 years old now !! it was because we(Mac users) had the software support, the appropriate hardware (FireWire, etc), and the Application(drivers, and GUI) that Apple could show us what we could actually do with the boxes they ship. (They might have just gotten tired of waiting for third parties to realize the potential) heck you could hook up an iPod to a B&W G3...try doing that with a bagillion-bigahertz computer with a million apps on it that came out around the same time as a B&W.

Now back to the present. Apple is firing on all cylinders.... software, hardware, technologies (RandezVous,etc), GUI, Movies (iMovie, iChat AV, fireWire800, Quicktime, etc), Music (iPod, iTunes,etc)...basically on every front.

And as Jobs said... they are a 'vertical company', so they can get things done faster and better.

On which computer could home users hook up to the Internet faster and far more easily (with support for nextgen terrestrial networks) first? On which platform and home computer could you hook up a digital camcorder and edit movies first? Which platform/home computer was the first to make it breathtakingly easy to burn a professional-looking/polished DVD using the movies you imported on the same hardware? All for no extra cost�..apart from the hardware ?

Forgive me if I�m wrong but... I still see none of that in the windows worlds. What they got is a lot of stuff... Microsoft's basic Human interface Guidelines (with exception of the start button) change with every 'major release' of the OS...and the Apps are still archaic and painfully difficult to navigate and use. I�m not even gonna talk about hardware and drivers...viruses and errors.

My point is... Apple is a tech company. The ipod and iTunes, which are to this day (2 years old) still better than any other offering from a software company, electronic maker or hardware company. The synergy (all working together) at Apple is to be applauded for their recent success.

If Apple seems to be concentrating on Music now, I�m all for it. I love music... and what�s more, I love what Apple is doing for music and with, which enhances my experience.

If you're not a music lover, don�t expect Apple to shift it's strategy and business agenda for you. They are making profit on iPods.... kudos to them for making it available on windows as well.

As far as the super bowl ad goes...I�m glad they didn�t stick to nostalgia and dogma of the 80s. This is 2004...and they are looking forward.... I think it's cool. Yes the original Mac was cool and 1984 was awesome..... But that was then...this is now. Needs/wants of people have changed....ApNaples is extraordinary, and it is the Neapolitans who make it so. Is it a sense of doom from living in the shadow of Vesuvius that makes many Neapolitans so volatile, perhaps so seemingly blind to everything but the pain or pleasure of the moment? Pov

The area surrounding Naples has a Greco-Roman history that makes the city look like the new kid on the block. The Greeks set out to Hellenize Italy's boot in the 6th and 7th centuries BC by settling here at Cumae. Later, the Romans used the area as one giant playground. Both groups left ruins for modern-day explorers to peruse. The area west of Naples is the Campi Flegrei -- the fields of fire -- alternatively condemned by the ancient Greeks as the entrance to Hades and immortalized as the Elysian Fields, a paradise for the righteous dead. Italy's two major seismic faults intersect here, and the whole area floats freely on a mass of molten lava very close to the surface.

To the east of Naples around the bay lie Pompeii and Herculaneum (Ercolano), the most completely preserved cities of classical antiquity, along with their nemesis, Il Vesuvio. Ash and mud from Vesuvius preserved these towns almost exactly as they were on the day it erupted in AD 79. The ominous, towering profile of the volcano is inseparable from the Bay of Naples area, and the ferocious power it can unleash is so vivid that you may be overwhelmed by the urge to explore the crater itself.ple better reflect that if they intend on expanding. And that�s just what they have done. This may not appeal to the everyday-run-of-the-mill-basement-dwelling-over clocking-geek.... but when did Apple ever appeal to them?

Apple is doing just fine..... On all fronts. Even in retail...of which i was skeptical. They stand to make a lot of money and lot of converts in the very near future.

Hope that helped put things into perspective for you. I�m gonna go take a nap now....
Cheers.
teh post

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by John C. Smith:
teh post
wazzat mean ? are u threatening me ?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:20 AM

Yeah, what's a "teh post?"

jyvin said
In my opinion Apple is focusing on music because they have to! They created a business monster and they have no choice but to continue with it.

Having said all that, if they don't continue to push the G5 and beyond, they are in trouble. If I were running the company, don't everyone laugh too hard, I would do everything I could to put the G5 in my entire computer line up. They turned a lot of heads with the move to that processor, and all of a sudden the G4 looks really old.

Regardless, here's to Apple and their success in music.
VERY TRUE.

I hope that Apple succeeds, yes.

The world would be a MUCH better place if at least 50% of the world was on a Mac.

But, while we're talking about how "great" the G5 lineup is, can we TALK about the OLD Motorola processor, please?

WHAT is Apple going to do about that?

Move over to Pentium?

The chipset is dated and it's an old technology. Still gets the job done, but for how long? How long is Apple going to continue to "innovate" on old Motorola technology?

???

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:20 AM

iWrite, I hate to resort to personal attacks but I have to be harsh but fair here:

You are a moron!

Apple is cooler than ever. The shift towards a positive attitude to Apple among the general public is BECAUSE of Apple's music focus.

I'm in graphic design myself and I have never been happier with Apple's status in the market.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

SouthPaW1227  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 10:21 AM

Wow, how absolutely ironic...Apple themselves backs me up. Anyone checked apple.com today?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:27 AM

I agree, SouthPaW.

- - e r i k - -: Whatever, guy. You think I'm a -- how did you say it -- "moron?"

Whatever. At least I don't have rebuttals that are oh-so-eloquent like this:

Apple is cooler than ever.

Why don't you ever say something INTELLIGENT instead of your one-liner attacks on people and commentaries on how something is "cool" or "not cool."

Guess you come from the "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" school of articulation?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 10:27 AM

I think I see Apple's chess here: they're playing drug-dealer.

Seriously. The iTMS and the iPod are their 'gateway drug', complete with the iTMS essentially being the typical 'first one is free'-style bargain. From there, they hope to move people up to the harder stuff, such as iMacs or PMG5s.

It's an interesting tactic, to be sure. Question is, will it work?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:32 AM

Well, I hope so Millenium.

I think it's a great marketing tactic, BTW, along with the Apple Stores. People will actually take a second look at any Apple product, see it, touch it, use it, BUY IT.

But, I think they're walking the razor's edge on this. They are endangering themselves by becoming synonymous with a music-only company.

Time will tell, won't it?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 10:36 AM

But, while we're talking about how "great" the G5 lineup is, can we TALK about the OLD Motorola processor, please?

WHAT is Apple going to do about that?

Move over to Pentium?
No, move to a superior architecture. Which they did. It's called the G5.

What people don't seem to remember anymore is that the AIM alliance is anything but harmonious. After the 604, every architecture has come about as a result of some rather vicious fighting between Motorola and IBM over who had the better architectures. Motorola won the G3 round, with its 603-based architecture (IBM wanted to base it around the 604; their 'Mach 5' processor actually made it into one Mac model: the 9600). Motorola won the next round with the G4 architecture, which was something of a shame; IBM's competing architecture had 1-GHz prototypes before even Intel did.

It seems, however, as though Apple finally realized that the problem with their machines wasn't the core architecture; it was the company making it. Motorola has never really been focused on the desktop market; they are bigger in embedded chips, and their architectures reflect this. Good for PDA's, but they hurt Apple's desktops really badly.

So Apple finally ditched Motorola for their desktops, and went with IBM's model for the G5. At this point they're almost caught up in terms of clockrate, and that's just the beginning of the advantages.
The chipset is dated and it's an old technology. Still gets the job done, but for how long? How long is Apple going to continue to "innovate" on old Motorola technology?
Until they drop the G4 from the rest of their lines. Hopefully that will not be too much longer.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:36 AM

BTW, just saw the "www.pepsi-apple.com" webpage (please note the sarcasm.)

I look at that and feel sad and think to myself, "Apple has sold out to Pepsi." I am (seriously) shaking my head.

Imagine going over to www.microsoft.com and seeing THAT? You WOULD seriously believe that the site had been hacked.

Pepsi wins. Apple loses.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:38 AM

[BGuess you come from the "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" school of articulation?

[/B]
Man, the only way you can be any funnier is with a ferret in your pants. I'm rolling over here. Seriously.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:39 AM

Millenium:

Well, who is making their current chips? Motorola? Motorola is on the way out -- practically bankrupt -- from everything I've read. I may be wrong, but I thought Motorola was still producing their chips? Here where I live is where one of the last big manufacturing plants is/was and they've just announced that they're closing shop.

Also, what is your take on the Pepsi campaign? Have you seen the Apple site today? Seriously, it makes me shake my head and other diehard Mac folks actually believe the site was hacked.

Thoughts?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

No no no no no... Non-computer people buy whatever they use at work/school. If they have to use Winblows at work because of a lack of good business software on the Mac, they'll buy a Winblows machine for use at home.

Remember, we're a bunch of geeks but the majority of the market knows jack about computers.

We've got the digital hub more or less sorted. Now we need some hardcore good business software to make use of the work-to-home trickle effect. Get business using Mac, the home users will follow.
We can dick Winblows with TCO. Now we just need the software. It really it that easy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 10:41 AM

Maybe you're right about that, but it seems to me that Apple has retreated behind the MP3 and iTunes facade.
On the contrary: They've CREATED the mp3 and iTunes facade to innocuously infect Windows users with the Apple virus, infiltrating their homes via something that everybody loves and agrees upon.

They're not making any money off iTunes. This is not because they couldn't, but because they're not out to.

Can you IMAGINE if Microsoft all of a sudden turned itself into a downloadable music and MP3 player company?

ALL credibility would be lost. Seriously, REALLY think about that.
I can not only imagine that; Microsoft has already announced that their own download service is in the works. Why the hell do you think they're railing against iTunes as "limiting choice" (of all things)?

I'm "REALLY thinking" about this, and there really is no change in my perception of Microsoft's "credibility" (just pretending that such a thing exists).

-s*

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:41 AM

Glad to hear that you think I wear the pants around here, Ted -- er, - - e r i k - -

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:43 AM

Seriously, have you guys SEEN the Apple site today?

???

It's truly --->

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:45 AM

I look at that and feel sad and think to myself, "Apple has sold out to Pepsi." I am (seriously) shaking my head.

Imagine going over to www.microsoft.com and seeing THAT? You WOULD seriously believe that the site had been hacked.
Wow! Sarcasm dude! What a totally gnarly observation. That's like - um - satire man! Yeah. Awesome.

Pepsi wins. Apple loses.
You really know nothing of marketing, do you?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 10:52 AM

Apple was featuring Adobe, Microsoft, Quark and other companies' products on their front page. Sold out to neither of these companies.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:53 AM

Wow! Sarcasm dude!

Yes, erik, playing ball with you is amusing, if not fun, but now I'm bored and going home -- and I'm taking my ball with me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 10:54 AM

Millenium:

Well, who is making their current chips? Motorola? Motorola is on the way out -- practically bankrupt -- from everything I've read. I may be wrong, but I thought Motorola was still producing their chips? Here where I live is where one of the last big manufacturing plants is/was and they've just announced that they're closing shop.
You're partly correct, partly outdated.

Motorola makes the G4.

The G5 is solely IBM, and their development/manufacturing is perfectly on schedule and looks VERY promising for the upcoming months/years.

So Motorola and your point are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

-s*

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:56 AM

Developer:

Then is their site hacked? The site that I go to has Pepsi bottles all over it.

Or maybe Apple realized that people think their Pepsi campaign is tacky?

Who knows. I have to get back to other things (work.)

Have a good one!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:56 AM

now I'm bored and going home -- and I'm taking my ball with me.
Too bad I already punctured it

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 11:04 AM

You are apparently some Windows fan boy. Go register at the Winsupersite forum and post there. But stop annoying people here with your nonsense.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 11:11 AM

Then is their site hacked? The site that I go to has Pepsi bottles all over it.

Or maybe Apple realized that people think their Pepsi campaign is tacky?
I completely and utterly fail to see your point.

They advertise Pepsi, Pepsi advertises them.

Far more people buy Pepsi than use Macs.

Would you prefer no advertising or the tried-and-failed "Think Different" poster ad campaign to 300 MILLION yellow-capped iTunes-labeled Pepsi bottles?

I thought the point of advertising was a) to familiarize people with a brand, and
b) to get people to buy said brand's products,

often in the order a) ---> b).

Your problem with this campaign is what?

-s*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I completely and utterly fail to see your point.

They advertise Pepsi, Pepsi advertises them.

Far more people buy Pepsi than use Macs.

Would you prefer no advertising or the tried-and-failed "Think Different" poster ad campaign to 300 MILLION yellow-capped iTunes-labeled Pepsi bottles?

I thought the point of advertising was a) to familiarize people with a brand, and
b) to get people to buy said brand's products,

often in the order a) ---> b).

Your problem with this campaign is what?

One fatal flaw. Pepsi isn't advertising Apple - it's advertising iTunes. Which you can get for free on a Windows machine without paying Apple a cent.

The idea that people will switch to Mac because they've used iTunes on Windows is a no-go. Just not going to happen.

So, in effect, iWrite is correct. This promotion will do nothing for Mac sales. iPods, yes. iTMS, yes. Macs, no.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
The idea that people will switch to Mac because they've used iTunes on Windows is a no-go. Just not going to happen.

So, in effect, iWrite is correct. This promotion will do nothing for Mac sales. iPods, yes. iTMS, yes. Macs, no.
"Trojan Horse".

We shall see.

-s*

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 12:07 PM

Just to fight anecdote with anecdote, I know tons of people who have switched or are thinking of switching to Macs because of OS X's *NIXness. You can't forget the *NIX factor.

piot
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2004, 12:31 PM

SouthPaW & iWrite, I really fail to see what your point is.

Can you not see what is really happening here?

Apple is not particularly interested in selling more Pepsi (except for the next two months!) they want to sell more of everything!

Initially that means iPods but the real tool here is getting iTunes on as many PCs as possible. That's the catch. You don't get your free song till you've got iTunes up and running on your computer.
The strength of this promotion is that it's not ten thousand songs, or a million.....but 100 million!!

Real guesswork here....but bear with me.....
100 million songs @ 10 per person = 10 million people
50% (could easily be more) own a PC= 5 million people
I million of them already have iTunes that leaves......

4,000,000 Windows users.....

who now have downloaded Apple software to their PCs. How many of those will find the simplicity and ease of use of iTunes and iTMS a breath of fresh air....and start paying for some songs? How many will graduate to buying an iPod? (Maybe even more when HP starts selling them)

In a little over two years since the iPod was introduced Apple is going to end up with at least one, maybe two million PC owners with Apple hardware in their hands and with approx five million PCers with Apple software on their systems !!

Apart from the fact of the nice fat profits (good that the PC world is helping fund Apple's R&D isn't it?) there are some people that are going to give Apple and the Mac a lot more consideration the next time they buy a computer. Most of these people have never even touched anything Apple before.

The music download business is in it's infancy just now but it WILL grow and grow. Apple may have a 70% share now but I think that figure might flatten out in the years to come. Microsoft have stated that they will have their own service and they are backing manufacturers of Media Centre PCs and their portable equivalents.

With new eqipment and higher bandwith the distribution and consumption of digital media (in all it's forms) is going to be very big. Apple has a nice headstart but you guys sound like you would be more content with their usual 2 or 3 % of the pie!

Apple is not ignoring the computer side of things...they just aren't promoting it much at the moment. By summer of this year the G5s should be at 3GHZ, probably be a G5 in the iMac and maybe the Powerbooks, and an even larger pool of potential switchers.
Piot

Back-to-Mac
Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 PM

Yes indeed. Even the Apple .Mac web page is out of date as you can still tour Jaguar. How long has Panther been out now Apple.
More so, the number of typos that appear on the UK web site is just plain sloppy.

Back-to-Mac
Jan 28, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Back-to-Mac:
Yes indeed. Even the Apple .Mac web page is out of date as you can still tour Jaguar. How long has Panther been out now Apple???
More so, the number of typos that appear on the UK web site is just plain sloppy.

SouthPaW1227  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 01:15 PM

First off, I never sided w/ iWrite anywhere in this post, I merely started the post to see if anyone else saw the obvious moves Apple is making into music and away from computing.

With that said, I do agree with some of what everyone has said up here, however this one takes the cake:

"The idea that people will switch to Mac because they've used iTunes on Windows is a no-go. Just not going to happen.

So, in effect, iWrite is correct. This promotion will do nothing for Mac sales. iPods, yes. iTMS, yes. Macs, no."

Totally agree, well said.

EDIT: Also, I don't believe Apple is selling out to Pepsi or whatever, I just wish they'd refocus on computers instead of just music...even a nice 50/50 split of promotion would be nicer than what they're doing now. The G5 has been stuck w/ a top end of 2.0Ghz since summer of last year, while Intel is proudly announcing Prescott is just around the corner. It seems Steve said "3Ghz next summer!" just so he wouldn't hafta mention the computing side of things (aside from the V.Tech stuff which gets Apple lots of press) at all while he focuses totally on reaping profit from Apple as a music company.
( Last edited by SouthPaW1227; Jan 28, 2004 at 01:21 PM. )

hayesk
Jan 28, 2004, 01:33 PM

Remember before the digital hub concept? Everyone complained that Apple's marketing was pathetic. They would say "why doesn't Apple show the public the cool things you can do with their products."

Now that they're doing that, people are complaining that they've forgotten they are a computer company.

Hello people? Computers allow us to do things. Music is one of those things - and that is getting the Apple name in more households? How can this be anything but a bad thing?

hayesk
Jan 28, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:

"The idea that people will switch to Mac because they've used iTunes on Windows is a no-go. Just not going to happen.

So, in effect, iWrite is correct. This promotion will do nothing for Mac sales. iPods, yes. iTMS, yes. Macs, no."

Totally agree, well said.
Except that iWrite merely saying it doesn't make it true. Marketing your name instead of a product is a powerful thing.

Take for example, Nike. Nike makes great shoes. Lots of people buy Nike shoes. But Nike is now making golf equipment. People are buying Nike golf equipment. Why would they? The market already has Taylor Made, Spalding, Wilson, etc. So why are people buying Nike stuff? Because they know the name and trust the name.

PC users are enjoying their iPods thinking, "I wonder if their computers are this nice too?" PC users may be thinking "I thought Apple was going out of business? Now with this iPod, Apple is doing well." Next time they get a new computer they may consider a Mac. Of course it won't work for everyone, but even if it helps sell a few more, Apple is doing the right thing.

John C. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 01:46 PM

the Mac's market share is 1.9%

the Mac is dead, long live iPod

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by John C. Smith:
the Mac's market share is 1.9%

the Mac is dead, long live iPod
Yet you keep posting here?!