Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Why is the political lounge not properly moderated?

Why is the political lounge not properly moderated?
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 01:45 PM

Ok. I don't post much in the political lounge anymore. I can't see the point. But I read it, ever now and then.

Going through some of the threads today I was genuinely shocked how some members get away with character assassination, insults, name calling and generally behaving in a way that I wouldn't tolerate coming from a four year old.

The main culprit appears to be Zimphire. He is the reason I've stopped frequenting the political lounge in the first place and his behaviour has deteriorated to such a degree that I could easily report 50% of his posts for abuse. He insults people. He post derogatory images as a substitute for arguments. He is patronising to a degree I never thought possible.

Why on earth is there nothing done to tell this member of the macnn community that his behaviour is totally unacceptable? Are the moderators afraid of him? Have people gotten used to him spewing abuse? What is going on?

Somebody please tell me. Because I would really, really love to understand.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 02:05 PM

The intellectual content of the political forum always declines once Zimphire gets back in there. It's a recurring trend.

I too would like to know why he's always given another chance to behave appropriately even though he consistently demonstrates his inability to do so. Another interesting observation I've made is the great swiftness at which the user 'raskol' has been banned several times lately whilst Zimphire is left to degrade the forum further.

Yesterday tooki said he would have taken action had the evidence not been removed (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...75#post1810375) What action would that have been? and don't the mods communicate with each other?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jan 28, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Yesterday tooki said he would have taken action had the evidence not been removed (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...75#post1810375) What action would that have been? and don't the mods communicate with each other?
clearly, tooki operates under his own "special" set of rules. i wouldn't hold your breath for him to act in an unbiased way any time soon.

MacNN: where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 02:18 PM

I agree wholly with Mastrap's assertion that the political lounge is not properly moderated. There is no penalty for ad hominem attacks nor for post-whoring, which is fine, except that MacNN pretends otherwise.

Lame.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 03:32 PM

Please mods, what are you going to do about this? This can't be allowed forever, again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again..........................................

It's time to take action and ban a certain member.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 03:58 PM

I just got a pm from perryp who said that he was now banned from the pol forum.

My question is what did he do to get banned and has anyone else gotten banned from the pol forum?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 28, 2004, 03:59 PM

perryp
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 04:01 PM

Now I have been banned..... For what reason? Apparently because Zimphire called ME a "big faggot" and got away with it (despite personal attacks being against the rules). And I dared to complain.

HOW MANY CHANCES HAS HE BEEN GIVEN? He constantly insults people and never gets banned.

Since Zimphire has called me a "big faggot" in a thread and got away with it, could one of the moderators tell me whether personal attacks are now acceptable? Has Zimphire got some special dispensation? People have been banned before for far less. it's gone too far.

perryp
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
action taken
Well, I've been banned from that forum so I can't read what action has been taken, so I can't defend my position.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by perryp:
Now I have been banned..... For what reason? Apparently because Zimphire called ME a "big faggot" and got away with it (despite personal attacks being against the rules). And I dared to complain.

Actually you called yourself that. And it was fag0rt. Not faggot. Difference.

HOW MANY CHANCES HAS HE BEEN GIVEN? He constantly insults people and never gets banned.

I never get banned? Seriously?

Since Zimphire has called me a "big faggot" in a thread and got away with it, could one of the moderators tell me whether personal attacks are now acceptable? Has Zimphire got some special dispensation? People have been banned before for far less. it's gone too far.
Come on Perry, stop playing the victim.

There are plenty of people who abuse others and don't get banned. Lerk is a prime example.

The squeaky wheels get oiled.

Seems there was a lot of complaints about both of us.

The mods ban to silence the squeaky wheels.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 28, 2004, 04:13 PM

Since no one has been paying attention to the rules of this forum, I find it necessary to remind you fine folks again.

If you violate these rules, you will be barred from participating in any further discussions in here. I have already banned 2 people today. That number will likely increase if attitudes around here don't change.

This is supposed to be a place for discussion, for an exchange of ideas, for heated yet controlled debate. This is not the place to be a zealot. This is not the place to pick a fight. This is not the place to cheer on your team. This is not the place to call your political opponents names you would never dream of saying to their face. This is not your personal dumping ground. This is not a free speech zone. This is not supposed to be personal.

This is also not the place to add "I don't like so-and-so!!! Ban em!".
This is also not the place to ask who I banned. Those who were banned were given warnings. In the future, people will be given one warning, and then action will be taken. I hate that I have to take this whole thing so seriously (this is a mac forum after all), but this is just getting too out of control to ignore.

So yeah, play nice and you'll get to come back.

perryp
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Since no one has been paying attention to the rules of this forum, I find it necessary to remind you fine folks again.

If you violate these rules, you will be barred from participating in any further discussions in here. I have already banned 2 people today. That number will likely increase if attitudes around here don't change.

This is supposed to be a place for discussion, for an exchange of ideas, for heated yet controlled debate. This is not the place to be a zealot. This is not the place to pick a fight. This is not the place to cheer on your team. This is not the place to call your political opponents names you would never dream of saying to their face. This is not your personal dumping ground. This is not a free speech zone. This is not supposed to be personal.

This is also not the place to ask who I banned. Those who were banned were given warnings. In the future, people will be given one warning, and then action will be taken. I hate that I have to take this whole thing so seriously (this is a mac forum after all), but this is just getting too out of control to ignore.

So yeah, play nice and you'll get to come back.
There are plenty of reasons to ban Zimphire (see people's views above). There is no reason to ban me (unless complaining about a personal attack is a "reason")

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 04:21 PM

There are plenty of reasons to ban Zimphire (see people's views above).

Heh yes those who agree with you politically want me gone too! How about that.

There is no reason to ban me (unless complaining about a personal attack is a "reason")
Reason #1

You were told to drop it and you kept it going.

Just take the lumps perry. I am biting my pillow as we speak.

perryp
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Heh yes those who agree with you politically want me gone too! How about that. [/B]
I don't even know what their politcal views are, or care. All I know is they haven't, like you, called me a "big faggot". Neither have I, and yet I'm banned.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 04:26 PM

This is not the place to be a zealot. This is not the place to pick a fight. This is not the place to cheer on your team. This is not the place to call your political opponents names you would never dream of saying to their face. This is not your personal dumping ground. This is not a free speech zone. This is not supposed to be personal.

I agree with the banninator here.

perryp
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 04:33 PM

tooki, in his wisdom, has accused me in a PM of
1) Personal attacks
2) Posting political topics in the "regular" lounge.

He hasn't provided any evidence of this, and has said if I discuss it any further I will be completely banned. So this might be my last post....

Apparently, that constitutes fairness and justice on MacNN

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 04:35 PM

I don't even know what their politcal views are,

When did I say YOU did?

All I know is they haven't, like you, called me a "big faggot". Neither have I, and yet I'm banned.
Lets explain something to you.

1. You rummaged through my server looking for a image to use against me. Therefore using my bandwidth.

This is a big no no. Ask tooki.

2. Said picture was a fall back from a Jeffk parody that went on over at ihateapple,com

3. I did not call you a faggot. Stop being dishonest.

Fag0rt has a new meaning entirely.

http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 04:37 PM

BTW this is the last time I will be using the word fag0rt. I don't want to offend the easily offend-able.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 04:45 PM

He hasn't provided any evidence of this, and has said if I discuss it any further I will be completely banned. So this might be my last post....
Just make a new account as usual.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 06:10 PM

Above we have a prime example of what I mean when talking about lack of proper modination. Zimphire accusing people at will of all sorts of things without any action being taken.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 06:43 PM

So now Zimphire's been banned from the Politics lounge. Good job folks. You should all feel like you've accomplished something.

Personally, I feel that pretty much evertime I post my opinions, views, and positions, I get a plethora of rude replies. Have I filed an abuse report or tried to rally others to band together and get a certain member banned? Nope...not once.

It's a friggin message board, and one with an ignore feature to boot. If Zimphire was 'offending' you so much, why not just put him on ignore? That seems to me to be the easiest and most hassle-free way to deal with the problem. Or, of course, 'offended' persons could simply let his statement stand - moving on and not replying to his posts.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 08:18 PM

There is no reason to ban me (unless complaining about a personal attack is a "reason")
I beg to differ. You have insulted my religion in far too many threads to count.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Jan 28, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
I just got a pm from perryp who said that he was now banned from the pol forum.

My question is what did he do to get banned and has anyone else gotten banned from the pol forum?
you're joking, right? Or blind. perryp was a nasty twit who never stopped to culture a few neurons, lest he see the idiocy of his posts and the rampant offensive, antisemic, and utterly foul stench provided by his 'insights'.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by The Ayatollah:
you're joking, right? Or blind. perryp was a nasty twit who never stopped to culture a few neurons, lest he see the idiocy of his posts and the rampant offensive, antisemic, and utterly foul stench provided by his 'insights'.
Point me to one of the anti-semitic comments he has made.

ps. and you do know that personal attacks are forbidden don't you?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 29, 2004, 06:30 AM

Personally attacking board members right? perry isn't a board member anymore.

I'd just drop it Logic.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 06:38 AM

And I'm still wondering why perryp was banned completely while another member seems to have been allowed to continue............

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jan 29, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
And I'm still wondering why perryp was banned completely while another member seems to have been allowed to continue............
Zim must be one of tooki's "special" friends, hence the free reign he's allowed.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
Zim must be one of tooki's "special" friends, hence the free reign he's allowed.
That could be the reason. If it isn't I would like to hear what the real reason is.

But I'm probably just wasting my time......

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 29, 2004, 07:08 AM

Heh I don't think I am one of tooki's friends.

perry got banned completely because tookie told him to drop it, or be banned. Perry didn't drop it. (tooki told me the SAME thing)

The very reason that got him banned in the first place.

He posted above and said just as much

and has said if I discuss it any further I will be completely banned. So this might be my last post....

He knew what he was doing, and did it anyhow.

Look, Demon told us if we didn't STOP it we'd be banned. I stopped it, perry didn't. I still got banned. You don't see me on here hissing and honking.

Perry should have taken his lumps and in a few weeks, would have been back in the PL. But instead he decided to act out.

I've been banned from the PL before with reasons like "You did nothing wrong, it's just getting nasty in there and we need to calm it down"

I really can't understand how you guys think he was innocent though. He is far from it
( Last edited by Zimphire; Jan 29, 2004 at 07:14 AM. )

OreoCookie
Jan 29, 2004, 09:26 PM

Heh I don't think I am one of tooki's friends.

perry got banned completely because tookie told him to drop it, or be banned. Perry didn't drop it. (tooki told me the SAME thing)

The very reason that got him banned in the first place.

He posted above and said just as much

He knew what he was doing, and did it anyhow.

Look, Demon told us if we didn't STOP it we'd be banned. I stopped it, perry didn't. I still got banned. You don't see me on here hissing and honking.

Perry should have taken his lumps and in a few weeks, would have been back in the PL. But instead he decided to act out.

I've been banned from the PL before with reasons like "You did nothing wrong, it's just getting nasty in there and we need to calm it down"

I really can't understand how you guys think he was innocent though. He is far from it [/B]
Don't try to be the strong guy that falls victim to some unfair MacNN policies.

Your track record is responsible for this, and you know it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 30, 2004, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Don't try to be the strong guy that falls victim to some unfair MacNN policies.

Who's trying to do that?

Your track record is responsible for this, and you know it.
My track record is responsible for this?

What is that supposed to mean?

OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2004, 01:49 AM

Who's trying to do that?

My track record is responsible for this?

What is that supposed to mean? [/B]
I think you understand what I am saying.

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Jan 30, 2004, 02:19 AM

I think I understand you're just throwing your 2 pence into this whine-a-thon, and nothing more.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 04:46 AM

i don't understand what you are trying to say.

-r.

OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by The Ayatollah:
I think I understand you're just throwing your 2 pence into this whine-a-thon, and nothing more.
I don't whine. I have just reduced the amount of posts in the politics forum, because many threads that started as useful threads are derailed.

But instead of getting personal or bitch about it, I just don't post. So I am not whining about anything, I just appreciate efforts to keep discussions on topic.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 30, 2004, 09:39 AM

No I didn't, or I wouldn't have asked.

So what are you saying?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 30, 2004, 03:19 PM

no one is saying anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules