Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > BW G3 and DVD-burner

BW G3 and DVD-burner
peter_cph
Jan 23, 2004, 04:55 PM

Hello folks.

Long time ago I swapped the built-in CD-ROM drive with a burner. Now I plan to swap that with a DVD-burner. Having 6 times the data a CD can hold on a DVD spinds very appealing to me - great way to make back-ups.

I have my eyes on 2 drives:

Pioneer 106A and NEC ND-2500A

Both are DVD+ AND DVD- and well, either should do ... but the NEC burns a 8x while the Pioneed only burns at 4x so I am partial to the NEC devise since the price is the same except for peanuts.

So - can I use one of those drives, and does anybody have eperience with one of them?

Thanks in advance

Peter

BW G3 450 MHz, 1GB RAM, 10+10+8+80 GH Harddrives, OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.2.8
( Last edited by peter_cph; Jan 23, 2004 at 05:25 PM. )

Evilrock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 01:15 AM

well i have the pioneer DVR-105 and its been good to me so far with no problems whatsoever.
Powermac G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD
2Gb of Ram
Pioneer DVR-105 and 109
240 GB of HD space
17" Apple Studio Display
12" Powerbook 1 GHz

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 11:18 AM

DVR-106D here. Ive got almost the exact same setup as Evilrock.

Performs flawlessly under 10.2.8 and 10.3. Burns both + and minus DVD under 10.3.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

TC
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 12:08 PM

I have a Rev A with the 106 and suffered some kernel panics since installing it which I never saw before.
I can't blame it just on the drive as I have made a lot of changes to the B&W around the same time.
Since 10.3.2 it has been behaving really well and haven't had any further problems.
I went for the Pioneer over any other since it is the drive which Apple ships with it's own computers so you have a better chance of compatibility. The only other choice for me would have been the other Sony drive which Apple uses.

If you aren't in rush for the drive I would wait a while as Pioneer have just introduced the 107 which burns twice as fast as the 106. So you can choose to either get the faster burner or get a great discount on the 106 since it has been replaced.
Nothing to see, move along.

Forum Links
Forum Rules