Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how do you clean your ibook G4 also keyboard seams to be lifting on right hand side

how do you clean your ibook G4 also keyboard seams to be lifting on right hand side
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 02:04 PM

Hi guys,
Interesting one this.
I don't particularly have sweaty hands, and i always wash and dry my hands before i use the laptop keyboard but i have noticed a darkish grey colour appearing on the right hand side of the mouse pad on my ibook G4 933.
For an other wise very attrative machine i would to clean this up to good as new! How do you guys here go about doing it.
I followed apple's advice , unplug, remove battery and with a very light and ever so slightly damp cloth rub lightly.
But it didn't seam to work for me properly.
What do you guys here do??
Also another question, do any of you notice that the keyboard seams to be lifting on the right hand side just near the shift key. In fact the plastic dummy key between the right arrow and the **** key seams to be what apple uses to hold the keyboard down. Im wondering if i should open the ibook and try and glue it down??
Any help on either issue would be great
Cheers
i_wolf

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2004, 08:24 PM

I have yet to get my G4 iBook, but I'm dreading this staining problem...

I went to the Apple Discussions and someone suggested this:

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclea...r_useage.shtml

Apparently it gets into the little grooves where the ibook traps all the dirt and stuff. People say it works, I will definitely try.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 10:12 PM

yes i guess thats the only downside to the appearance of the machine.. it really seams to show up any type of usage stains like the slightest amount of sweat from usage especially around the mouse pad.
I tried using a tiny bit of Jif /Cif or whatever its called now and that seamed to do the trick! nice and white again!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 08:40 AM

My friends will vouce for the eraser trick. They got a bunch of Staedlar (art) erasers, fine white, and the dark marks on the wrist rest area of the iBook was removed.

If you want to prevent it from happening again, I'd recommend getting one of the wrist rest protector. Or, you can always just not rest your wrists on the wrist rest when typing.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 08:51 PM

thanks guys, that eraser trick worked a treat. this should be a sticky tip or something. its great!
again thanks a mill on that one.
Now can any of you tell me what to do about my keyboard. it seams to be slightly raised on the right hand side of the keyboard. i notice that this seams to cause the right arrow key to click when depressed. However if i were to push down on the blank dummy spacer above the right arrow key and then press the arrow key, its fine!
I suspect that there must be a screw somewhere that i coudl tighten. Anyone have any ideas or issues with this???

Forum Links
Forum Rules