Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Shameful Experience in School

Shameful Experience in School
hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 01:32 AM

Well, I'm a student in an Art School. Last Monday I finished my assignment to create few jpg graphic posters, by using my iMac superdrive.

I burned the jpg files into a CD with Toast Titanium 5.2.
Fine, I brought to school, odd, the PC just couldn't run the CD and pop-up "UNKNOWN FORMAT"!!

I feel bad and all my classmates laughed at me and scolded me "dumb ass using dumbie Mac"!! and my lecturer was angry, my mark is being deducted....

I was hell mad... thinking of switching back to PC. Any advise??

17" widescreen LCD, 1GHz PowerPC G4,
1GB DDR266 SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA HD,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 64MB DDR video memory

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 01:43 AM

Yes. Read about different disc formats before trying to burn important things.

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 02:08 AM

May I know what do you mean different disc format?
You mean choosing PC or Mac version before writing the disc? Yes i tried but there is no option pop-up...

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 02:43 AM

In Toast, hold down "Other..." and choose ISO 9660. This is a PC format.

Macs can read PC discs, but not vice versa. That's saying something for the Mac, if you think about it.

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 02:45 AM

When I want to burn a data cd that will work on both PCs and Macs, I always choose the ISO 9660 format. In Toast 5.2, click on the "Other" tab and hold the button down until a menu pops up and choose "ISO 9660". Now click the "Select..." button, then click the "Settings tab" and make sure Naming is set to Joliet (MS-DOS + Windows)

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 02:53 AM

OHHHHHHH....... how stupid i am...
i never know this setting before... i finally learn new things...

OK, I choose Joliet MS+Windows now
so what about the format ??
CD ROM or CDROM XA ???
Use apple's extansion?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 02:54 AM

Thinking of switching back because you were teased?

Yes, I have an advice: Grow some gonads, and carry a big stick.

Or you can simply learn about disc/drive formats.
I, ASIMO.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 04:07 AM

For just burning a bunch of .jpg's to a CD, you can just use the Finder's burning feature instead of Toast. It always makes ISO 9660 discs that work fine in Windows.

You know, I can't help but be a little skeptical of your story. You're saying that in an art class, you are the only one that has a Mac? And the prof doesn't know how to deal with Mac disks at all, even though it's an art class and Macs are the standard for graphic design? And he's apparently never seen a Mac disk before, to understand that an HFS-formatted disk won't open in a PC, and he would actually dock your grade because of this?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by hunkhuang:
I feel bad and all my classmates laughed at me and scolded me "dumb ass using dumbie Mac"!! and my lecturer was angry, my mark is being deducted....

violence solves alot of issues.......

just smashem

they wont give u sh!t in the future

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 09:11 AM

FREE ADVICE - Coming from someone that once was a professor.

This is going to help you all through your life, so listen up.

1) Whenever you have a big presentation (school, job, social, business etc.) make sure you are prepared. You should have tested the system before you got to class.

2) Always have a backup plan. I don't care if it's print outs, sketches, whatever. It shows that you did the work and that you have every intent on submitting the final.

I would have students give presentations in class and would say at least three times that I was available for assistance with the audio video presentation and that they should test their materials BEFORE the presentation. Nobody every took me up on the offer... and they would get upset when I gave them a low score on "preparedness".

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
FREE ADVICE - Coming from someone that once was a professor.

This is going to help you all through your life, so listen up.

1) Whenever you have a big presentation (school, job, social, business etc.) make sure you are prepared. You should have tested the system before you got to class.
Agreed. Ideally, you should test it on the actual computer which will be used, but if that's not possible, then test on a machine as close to that as you can.
2) Always have a backup plan. I don't care if it's print outs, sketches, whatever. It shows that you did the work and that you have every intent on submitting the final.
An overhead projector and a set of transparencies tend to work well here. Transparencies are easy to print out, and if even the overhead projector fails you can plunk them down on the table with a paper backing (or print out a set of paper handouts) and present like that.

Also, formulating your presentation to work with an overhead projector as well as a computer may cause you to think somewhat differently about the design of your presentation. Most design experts agree that this is a Good Thing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Agreed. Ideally, you should test it on the actual computer which will be used, but if that's not possible, then test on a machine as close to that as you can.

An overhead projector and a set of transparencies tend to work well here. Transparencies are easy to print out, and if even the overhead projector fails you can plunk them down on the table with a paper backing (or print out a set of paper handouts) and present like that.

Also, formulating your presentation to work with an overhead projector as well as a computer may cause you to think somewhat differently about the design of your presentation. Most design experts agree that this is a Good Thing.
(If you are at a design school, you should be able to "check out' a laptop for the presentation... you may have to hunt around... or ask a friend.

I've had professional presenters show up with their own laptop (a normal thing) and their own projector.

In the presenters own words "You never know what's going to happen".

The designing on overheads on plastic sheets is meant to limit your slides and also "progress" with your slides (don't show the whole slide at once). People tend to think that a presentation IS the PowerPoint or Keynote slides... WRONG

I [/b]LOVE[/b] Keynote because I'm able to give the viewer a bread-crumb approach to the slides. For younger crowds, you are killing yourself if you project a complex graphic on a screen and then start to describe it. Taking the first step of showing the X Y axis, talking about the data (showing the colors) bla bla. does wonders, and keeps people from falling asleep.

OK, sorry to get on a presentation tirade...

willed
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 12:27 PM

Using a Mac when everyone else is on PCs always sets you up for a fall; if someone else has a problem because of their PC they just go 'bloody PC' or 'it's got a virus' and everyone sympathetically agrees. If, however, you get a Mac, anything less than perfection gets people saying 'so why the hell did you buy a Mac again?', when they would have expected a PC to **** up.

Comes with the territory I'm afraid. I wouldn't bother switching because of this though!

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2004, 01:51 PM

As someone who got through college with a Mac when everyone else had a PC, I have to agree - check your work BEFORE class.

This is actually good advice for any kind of technical presentation, but you're at a disadvantage with a Mac.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 02:20 PM

Well, I'm a student in an Art School. Last Monday I finished my assignment to create few jpg graphic posters, by using my iMac superdrive.

I burned the jpg files into a CD with Toast Titanium 5.2.
Fine, I brought to school, odd, the PC just couldn't run the CD and pop-up "UNKNOWN FORMAT"!!

My advice: Stop making up stories. Or at least make them believable.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
My advice: Stop making up stories. Or at least make them believable.
Oh and as you can see, mac people can be as big ********s as PC people.
As an advice to all the critics here, the guy is in Kuala-Lumpur (and here I will pause for a few minutes go so that our friends from the great US of A be able to chech where Kuala-Lumpur is (beware of the spelling it is tricky!)). So things might not necessarily work like it does in the great US of A, and maybe it is quite realistic that Art Schools in Malaysia do not use Macs or do not lend laptops or that their professors are not used to Macs. You guys are making asses of yourselves. Pathetic.

villa

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 03:00 PM

hunkhuang, with a lame attitude like that, you deserved to be laughed at.

"Mom! They teased at me for having a mac!! Get me a DuLL immediately so I can be lemmings like them!!!!"

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Steb Mad:
hunkhuang, with a lame attitude like that, you deserved to be laughed at.

"Mom! They teased at me for having a mac!! Get me a DuLL immediately so I can be lemmings like them!!!!"
Have you ever been to Asia? Do you know their culture? If not then shut the hell up if you have no technical advice.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
Have you ever been to Asia? Do you know their culture? If not then shut the hell up if you have no technical advice.
Are you saying that only in Asia, you can have a shameful experience in school by using Mac while everyone else in the classroom are using PCs?

BTW, there's plenty of Asian Mac related forum out there..

Synotic
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
I have to personally agree with this. I think it's pretty ridiculous to make any degrading comments about a cultural that you're not familiar with. FWIW his story seems pretty true to me.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
I have to personally agree with this. I think it's pretty ridiculous to make any degrading comments about a cultural that you're not familiar with. FWIW his story seems pretty true to me.
Tell me, how is his shameful experience any different from American, Japanese, etc?

It have nothing to do with culture

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 06:17 PM

OHHHHHHH....... how stupid i am...
i never know this setting before... i finally learn new things...

OK, I choose Joliet MS+Windows now
so what about the format ??
CD ROM or CDROM XA ???
Use apple's extansion?
Maybe learn English first for good grade.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Maybe learn English first for good grade.
That was uncalled for.

When you can speak, read, and write Malay perfectly, then you can demand that he speak, read and write English perfectly.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2004, 07:50 PM

Ok everyone, stop being assholes. I'd be embarrassed too if I were in a similar situation. He learned from his mistake; that's more than I can say for most people.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 08:15 PM

Firstly:
An art and design block using pcs? haahah what the ****, my art and design block must have well over 100 powermacs in it about about 10 pcs max (for web design students to test on without having to walk over to the school of computing)

Secondly:
Toast default settings should burn a mac/pc disk fine, does for me

Thirdly:
POSTERS IN JPG FORMAT? WHAT THE ****????????
why the hell would you save print work in that SHITTY LOSSY UGLY FORMAT? you need a lossless format or a vector format for half decent posters.

My advice is, quit that school its quite clearly utter ****

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
That was uncalled for.

When you can speak, read, and write Malay perfectly, then you can demand that he speak, read and write English perfectly.
Since when was I trying to speak Malay?

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 01:46 AM

Give the kid some slack. Sure, he made some stupid mistakes that seem quite trivial to us here, but he's in art school for a reason. If he was as pro as all of you here he wouldn't need to go.

And the posts poking fun at his English are completely tasteless.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Ok everyone, stop being assholes. I'd be embarrassed too if I were in a similar situation. He learned from his mistake; that's more than I can say for most people.
You'd be embarrassed for being a mac user?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Since when was I trying to speak Malay?
The original poster is not a native English speaker so shut the **** up.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Steb Mad:
You'd be embarrassed for being a mac user?
No, I'd be embarrassed because I screwed up.

Right now I'm embarrassed because of you guys acting like assholes.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 03:40 AM

No, I'd be embarrassed because I screwed up.
Of course everyone will be embarrassed too if they screwed up but will you switch to PC just for one overlooked problem from a poorly-designed app? "Thinking of switching to PC" was what turned most people off. If I were him, I would just ask people here to see if it's possible to burn a PC-compatible CD instead of putting the blame on Mac for causing him a shameful experience.

With a comment like his, it's pretty obvious that his self-esteem is very low and like to play the blame game.

Right now I'm embarrassed because of you guys acting like assholes.
I've seen you acting like an asshole in other threads before

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2004, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Thirdly:
POSTERS IN JPG FORMAT? WHAT THE ****????????
why the hell would you save print work in that SHITTY LOSSY UGLY FORMAT? you need a lossless format or a vector format for half decent posters.

My advice is, quit that school its quite clearly utter ****
It's called a presentation... jpg is fine. Also, if you have the compression set high enough, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

P.S. Not everyone designs posters in vector format.

We need a karma rating or something for this forum.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2004, 08:07 AM

Sheesh, I hope it wasn't my fault that this flame war got started!

I'm sorry I posted in here. I just was a little skeptical - didn't mean to start all this.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
It's called a presentation... jpg is fine. Also, if you have the compression set high enough, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

P.S. Not everyone designs posters in vector format.

We need a karma rating or something for this forum.
No way its still crappy for presentation, I'm not having my hard work butchered by that shitty overated format.
And I didn't say everyone does use vectors for posters
"you need a lossless format or a vector format"
read posts fully WITH YOUR EYES before you reply

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 08:29 AM

Truly stunning...

The lengths some people will go to, trying to argue against a point they misunderstood in the first place and not back down.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Truly stunning...

The lengths some people will go to, trying to argue against a point they misunderstood in the first place and not back down.
You have never been to the political section of these forums, have you?

villa

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 09:45 AM

nope.

Thanks for the warning.

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 11:06 AM

Yes, thank you for your great advises...
I admit that my english ain't that good.

I am thinking to get a PC.
Why? The main reason is, Mac users are not friendly and kind.
The PC users laughed at me, it doesn't mean they insulted me.

Perhaps they laughed at me because I really didn't do much preparation for the presentation.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 11:49 AM

Yes, thank you for your great advises...
I admit that my english ain't that good.

I am thinking to get a PC.
Why? The main reason is, Mac users are not friendly and kind.
The PC users laughed at me, it doesn't mean they insulted me.

Perhaps they laughed at me because I really didn't do much preparation for the presentation.
What do you want us to do? Talk to your teacher? Anyone want to provide a link to a PC forum like ars or overclockers so he can see just how lovely PC users are?

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 11:55 AM

I'm sorry.. I apologise that I posted the thread.
I'm sorry, i'm a fool Mac user.
I'm sorry for all that... sorry for telling you my story.

Please take out this thread.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 12:39 PM

Follow mitchell_pgh's advice: here .

Applicable to many different situations in real life jobs, not just school work.

And stay away from that professor if at all possible. If anything he should have given you the same advice as mitchell_pgh.

Good luck in your future endeavors. Just don't get a PC. That would be taking a giant leap backwards.

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 12:42 PM

Thanks, you're so kind to me.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 03:02 PM

Okay... I will admit that there are some antagonistic and misguided replies and posts in this thread... but keep a few things in mind. This is the internet. People are people. You will find the SAME kind of antagonizing and flames in WinPC forums.

Overall... I have noticed that Mac forums are MUCH more friendly and helpful than the PC forums I've been to. TRUST me.

You need to learn to just ignore the posts that can "push your buttons" and irritate you.

You also made referrence to mac users making you want to switch.... umm... that's like saying: "Hey... that guy was just a TOTAL jerk to me... Oh, look, he's getting into his Honda... Damn... I own a Honda too... That's it... I'm selling my Honda and getting a Chrysler because the people that were jerks all own Hondas".

The personalities are not indicative of the power and flexibility of the platform and it's hardware. Don't let peer pressure and poor communication skills of online personalities dictate your creative tool(s).

I have used BOTH... Macs & PCs over the past 15-years for design work. They both have their positives & negatives... but I whole heartedly prefer the Mac environment for design.

Choose however you want to... but do it for the right reason(s).

Peace...

hunkhuang  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 09:38 AM

Thanks, i feel much better now.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 04:11 AM

I believe the default format for a "Files and Folders" CD in Toast is the "PC and Mac" formatted disc, which can be read on PC and Mac in their native formats (or some hybrid of the two, I don't know much about it).I know it's the default in Toast6, and i seem to remember it being so in Toast 4. It's generally easier than the windows legacy encumbered ISO format (those "DOS compatible names" options, etc).

While the school uses systems that aren't very compatible with other platforms, you didn't take that into account. Equalizes that out IMHO. Just make sure to not submit any documents in Appleworks format....rtf should be fine, it's readable by Word, but I've had teachers complain about .txt.

Dunno what's happening with the forums, seems like a lot of new converts from platforms where community and politeness mean little.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
...rtf should be fine, it's readable by Word, but I've had teachers complain about .txt.
Argh, yes. I once had a TA who didn't let people send her attachments at *all* because she was worried about getting a virus. I said, well, we could just use RTF instead of a Word doc. She's like, RTF?! What the heck is that?!! I tried to explain that it was like a Word doc but without the ability to contain viruses, but she was paranoid.

It's the sad truth. When you say RTF, teachers hear WTF!

chris_h
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 07:11 PM

hay guys, what's goin on in this thread?

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
No way its still crappy for presentation, I'm not having my hard work butchered by that shitty overated format.
And I didn't say everyone does use vectors for posters
"you need a lossless format or a vector format"
read posts fully WITH YOUR EYES before you reply
JPEG looks great at high quality. The pictures look excellent and on a computer screen look very close to TIFF.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
JPEG looks great at high quality. The pictures look excellent and on a computer screen look very close to TIFF.
At 100%, I would argue that you couldn't even see the difference between TIFF and JPG on a screen.

Print, YES, but on a screen... please...

The poster that said JPEG is crap is probably the same type of person that says that he can tell the difference between 256/kbps MP3s and AIFF files (on his/her $200 stereo)

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
NOOOO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Better get your eyes checked ASAP!

Forum Links
Forum Rules