Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Adding a NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive to my digial audio G4

Adding a NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive to my digial audio G4
eScrib
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 01:37 PM

Hello -

It seems the 3rd party DVD burners are being more and more supported under Panther due to a hack.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/....html#storytop

My question is... Can I install a DVD burner in my Dual G4 and keep the internal CD-RW as the Master device and make the DVD burner the slave device??? Can they both be installed internally?

Thanks!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by eScrib:

My question is... Can I install a DVD burner in my Dual G4 and keep the internal CD-RW as the Master device and make the DVD burner the slave device??? Can they both be installed internally?

Thanks!
Nope. Only 1 drive.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 03:11 PM

It's possible if you are comfortable with cutting metal.. have a search at xlr8yourmac.com

That may be of help:
sterpin

good luck
--motti

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 03:23 PM

Should I then look in getting a Pioneer drive that will work right out of the box and probably allow me to boot off CDs, etc???

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2004, 08:11 PM

Yeah, the Pioneer A03 through A07 drives work out of the box in OS 9 and X and are supported by Disc Burner APIs (iTunes, iDVD, etc). I installed an A)6 in my Dual 500 tower and use it every day with zero problems. The A06 burns DVD-R's at 4x max, but the new A07 burns at 8x.

Buy it for $139 with free shipping
(found the link via dealnews.com)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Yeah, the Pioneer A03 through A07 drives work out of the box in OS 9 and X and are supported by Disc Burner APIs (iTunes, iDVD, etc). I installed an A)6 in my Dual 500 tower and use it every day with zero problems. The A06 burns DVD-R's at 4x max, but the new A07 burns at 8x.

Buy it for $139 with free shipping
(found the link via dealnews.com)
Please, could you give me a link where I can read that it is in fact supported under Mac OS 9?, that is what I need, support under Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.

I tried a 8x LG that worked under Panther but Mac OS 9 refused even to start up.

Thanks in advance

Forum Links
Forum Rules