Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Getting tiff's from Extras.rsrc

Getting tiff's from Extras.rsrc
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 02:41 PM

Hi guys,

I want to get an icon from Extras.rsrc (Other/Help Viewer Icons, the Home shaped icon) but when I copy it into Photoshop its all ugly :-) and not at all like it is in the HelpViewer.app. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Oliver

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2004, 03:19 PM

:: Did you try copying the composite resource and pasting it?

:: Fluid

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 03:42 PM

Yes, its really ugly, has a black background too.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 04:17 PM

If you give me a second, I can give you a program to do this. Pretty simple to whip something up with ThemeKit. What is the id of the resource? Which image in that pxm do you want?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 04:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot, the ID is 2415, in Theme Park its called 'Help Viewer Icons', its the one that looks like a house.

Again thanks,
Oliver

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 05:14 PM

Hey there,

In about 15 minutes I wrote an app which:

1) Opens any rsrc file
2) Displays all the pxm's in the file
3) Lets you choose one and writes all the images as tiff's to the root level of your hard drive.

Have fun!

http://homepage.mac.com/gomac/ImageWriter.zip

This was one of those quickie apps, so there are probably some bugs. If anyone has any critical issues let me know.

It's using ThemeKit embedded so it shouldn't need a seperate install of ThemeKit.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 05:17 PM

Hmmm, won't launch over here, heres the Console output:

dyld: /Volumes/Home/Users/olivercameron/Documents/Downloads/ImageWriter.app/Contents/MacOS/ImageWriter can't open library: @executable_path/../Frameworks/ThemeKit.framework/Versions/A/ThemeKit (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Feb 15 21:16:45 Oliver-Camerons-Computer crashdump: Unable to determine CPSProcessSerNum pid: 5033 name: ImageWriter
Feb 15 21:16:45 Oliver-Camerons-Computer crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Volumes/Home/Users/olivercameron/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ImageWriter.crash.log
Feb 15 21:16:45 Oliver-Camerons-Computer crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Volumes/Home/Users/olivercameron/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ImageWriter.crash.log
dyld: /Volumes/Home/Users/olivercameron/Documents/Downloads/ImageWriter.app/Contents/MacOS/ImageWriter can't open library: @executable_path/../Frameworks/ThemeKit.framework/Versions/A/ThemeKit (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Feb 15 21:16:49 Oliver-Camerons-Computer crashdump: Unable to determine CPSProcessSerNum pid: 5035 name: ImageWriter
Feb 15 21:16:49 Oliver-Camerons-Computer crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Volumes/Home/Users/olivercameron/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ImageWriter.crash.log
Feb 15 21:16:49 Oliver-Camerons-Computer crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Volumes/Home/Users/olivercameron/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ImageWriter.crash.log

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Hmmm, won't launch over here, heres the Console output:
:clip:
Whoops, forgot to completely compile ThemeKit. Its fixed now. Same download link.

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hi,

So I opened the app, then opened Extras.rsrc, I then found the icon I want (HelpViewer Icons) I clicked Make Images, but then I could not find the images, where are they?

Thanks again for this, ThemeKit certainly sounds powerful,
Oliver

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 06:29 PM

Ah wait,

I see there on the root of my drive, but I don't think this is right. If you open HelpViewer.app you will see a NSSegmentedControl in the toolbar, inside the NSSegmentedControl is the Home icon, what I get when I use your app is:

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 06:34 PM

Hm, ThemePark and Catalyst both give me the same thing.

Perhaps the icon is stored elsewhere?

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 06:45 PM

Im pretty sure its the right icon, I think its just inverted wrong or something.

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 06:55 PM

Actually, you may be right. The Arrow icons do not match the ones in HelpViewer.app. The weird thing is, the icons are not in HelpViewer.app's package. Do you have any idea where they are? Anyone?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Feb 16, 2004, 11:31 AM

I'd like it if there was an app that could extract all PXMs to tiffs categorized in the same manner as in ThemePark, that would help me out a lot when people ask for source images for theme ports.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I'd like it if there was an app that could extract all PXMs to tiffs categorized in the same manner as in ThemePark, that would help me out a lot when people ask for source images for theme ports.
Oh jees. That would require me actually sorting all the PXM's one of these days.

I'll see when I can get some sorting done. Should be a piece of cake from there.

zachs
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Actually, you may be right. The Arrow icons do not match the ones in HelpViewer.app. The weird thing is, the icons are not in HelpViewer.app's package. Do you have any idea where they are? Anyone?
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/HelpUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

Forum Links
Forum Rules