Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How big of difference between G3 and G4 iBooks?

How big of difference between G3 and G4 iBooks?
teknik
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 07:20 PM

So I sold my trusty G3 600mhz iBook w/ 640mb RAM (8mb video model) It was starting to get a little pokey, so I decided to sell it on eBay ($830!)

On eBay I purchased a G4 800mhz iBook w/ 256mb RAM on the same day.

My question is as follows: How big of difference will I notice? I know quartz extreme will actually be supported (YES!) I'm planning on upgrading the ram to 640 as soon as I have some extra money.

Was the trade-off worth it? How so? Will there be noticeable differences out of the box?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:25 PM

I don't want to know since I have a G3 iBook!

No, seriously: You will most probably get a noticable speed boost in everyday tasks that need some power. Checking emails is on an iBook G3 as fast as on an iBook G4, iPhoto and iMovie and stuff will get the biggest speed boost.

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 07:37 PM

The difference will be HUGE.
My 500mhz iBook is 2 times slower than the 700mhz Ibook according to the benchmarks I've done... (probably because of larger cache and faster bus). The G4 iBook is going to be even faster....it's going to fly compared to your old iBook. Trust me.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:43 PM

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/

Just select two systems/configs that you want to compare.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Feb 17, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by teknik:
So I sold my trusty G3 600mhz iBook w/ 640mb RAM (8mb video model) It was starting to get a little pokey, so I decided to sell it on eBay ($830!)

On eBay I purchased a G4 800mhz iBook w/ 256mb RAM on the same day.

My question is as follows: How big of difference will I notice? I know quartz extreme will actually be supported (YES!) I'm planning on upgrading the ram to 640 as soon as I have some extra money.

Was the trade-off worth it? How so? Will there be noticeable differences out of the box?
CNet just completed their full review of the iBookG4 and here's some comparisons between the G4 and the G3 model.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_G4_iBo...tml?tag=review

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by CeRtiFiedSkitZo:
CNet just completed their full review of the iBookG4 and here's some comparisons between the G4 and the G3 model.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_G4_iBo...tml?tag=review
If they would have maxed out the RAM in the iBooks and put the same (or close to the same) memory in the PB the test would be a little more level. 128MB in the G3? Both the PB and G3 are running Jag instead of Panter. Granted is came that way stock but it's a little unrealistic. At least put an extra 128MB in the G3.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 03:44 AM

I think you'll appreciate the speed bump. It won't be significantly, earth-shattering fast, but apps like iLife, Finder, and Safari will be definitely snappier.

One thing, though, make sure to get as much RAM as you can sooner or later. If you've lived on 640MB of RAM or higher long enough, you'll feel the squeeze with just 256MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules