Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > will this work for my PB?

will this work for my PB?
cathylin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 01:24 PM

hi all,
here is the situation. I just bought a PowerBookG4 from my cousin who just moved to China. I have been using this PB using my standard user ID and passwd. everything works except it prompted me to enter a passwd whenever I attempted to perform an administrative task. I called my cousin, she doesn't remember the passwd, nor she has the installer CD.

I was told by a friend of mine, that you can change the passwd by doing the following:

1. boot single user mode
2. mount -uw /
3. SystemStarter start NetInfo
4. passwd root
5. exit

so, my question is, does this really work? I'm new to Mac, and i don't know much about command. could somebody plz help me?

thanks

Cathy

cathylin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 08:51 PM

does anybody know other ways to reset the admin password?

thx
Cathy

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 09:13 PM

Do you have the Panther or Jaguar CD because that's the only way you will be able to reset it.

you can try to guess what it is is, if you know your cousin pretty well.

Good luck

Mike

cathylin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 12:06 AM

you mean the original installer CDs that came with the PowerBook. No, I don't have them. Would a new CD work?

My cousin and I have already tried every passwd she could think of.

Cathy

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by cathylin:
you mean the original installer CDs that came with the PowerBook. No, I don't have them. Would a new CD work?

My cousin and I have already tried every passwd she could think of.

Cathy
Any Jaguar or Panther install CD will work. If you don't have one, take to PB to a MUG meeting, people are usually very helpful. The genius at an Apple Store might possibly do it for you, but you'd have to somehow prove that the laptop belonged to you, since your name may not be what the laptop serial number is registered under.

cathylin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
Any Jaguar or Panther install CD will work. If you don't have one, take to PB to a MUG meeting, people are usually very helpful. The genius at an Apple Store might possibly do it for you, but you'd have to somehow prove that the laptop belonged to you, since your name may not be what the laptop serial number is registered under.
So a new install CD would reset the admin passwd for me? by the way, what's MUG?

thx amazing

Cathy

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 01:05 AM

Hello.

An install CD will allow you to reset the password. You may want to visit a local Apple Store if you have one in your area, but again, you're going to have to be able to prove ownership of the machine in some way.

A MUG is a "Macintosh User Group." They advertise all over the country and are comprised of some pretty awesome Mac folk who are very helpful and willing to lend a hand.

Good luck.

cathylin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 05:01 AM

thx for the advice guys~

I guess I will have to go buy a new install CD then, and send the bill to my cousin... ...

anyone knows where I can get the CD cheap?
( Last edited by cathylin; Feb 22, 2004 at 05:07 AM. )

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2004, 06:42 AM

You might want to upgrade to OSX 10.3 if you do not already have it on your machine, its had some time to get some of its initial bugs ironed out and is excellent all round.

The price of Apple software are the same whether you buy it from Apple or a reseller. You might be better off getting it from an Apple store, then you can get help from them at the store.

Good luck!

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 10:02 AM

Yea... just buy the new Mac OS X Panther 10.3 CD and do either a upgrade or a fresh install. I would go with the fresh install if I were you though.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

cathylin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by KidKit:
You might want to upgrade to OSX 10.3 if you do not already have it on your machine, its had some time to get some of its initial bugs ironed out and is excellent all round.

The price of Apple software are the same whether you buy it from Apple or a reseller. You might be better off getting it from an Apple store, then you can get help from them at the store.

Good luck!
the PB is currently running OS X 10.3.2. is this the newest version?

cathylin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Yea... just buy the new Mac OS X Panther 10.3 CD and do either a upgrade or a fresh install. I would go with the fresh install if I were you though.

Ming
could you tell me what's the difference between fresh install and upgrade?
I have applications (photoshop...etc)on the machine. will a fresh install effect my applications?

thanks

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2004, 03:15 AM

Boot up from the install CD or Panther CD. Then from one of the menus, select Disk Utility. Once disk utility opens up, select reset password. That should do it. Nothing to install or reinstall.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules