Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook (15" AL) hinge stiff after screen replacement?

PowerBook (15" AL) hinge stiff after screen replacement?
chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 06:35 PM

Hey guys... I sent in my 15" AL PowerBook for white spots in Christmas. I got it back perfect. But lately I've been noticing one of the hinges (the one on the right as I type) becoming stiffer. So anytime I leave my screen open for more than a minute, it makes that rubbing stuck sound when I try to move it.

This is a progressive problem, in that it's getting worse, not better. Has anyone else experienced this at all?

hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 06:45 PM

i have that problem as well... it makes a fairly loud creaking sound when i move the screen back and forth... but this happened with my old screen too, before my replacement... what is strange is that when i first got the machine, this didn't happen. Only recently did i notice it. And since I've gotten my screen replaced (like a week ago), its been really creaky.

But I dont' thikn much of it, becuase it doesn't seem to be a real problem for me..

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 06:51 PM

that's exactly it... but mine's getting worse... and I'm afraid one of these days it's just gonna stick, and I'm gonna pull, and something's gonna break...

jwon985
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 01:15 AM

yeah, i have this problem too...
at the moment i'm waiting for parts to come in so that i can replace my screen, but it seems that you guys still have the problem after repair...
the screen cracking sound is pretty scary and annoying at night. feels like i'm going to break it... i know of 2 other people who have the problem....

the guy in repair said it looked like it could be a loose screw inside on the hinge... but there could be other causes...

i just hope the replacement fixes this.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 06:09 AM

i just got mine back from repair for white spots, and the hinge is stiff. however, it doesn't squeak, which it did before i sent it in. i guess its just how the guy puts it back together.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Jaeger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 12:03 PM

I've got it as well.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 12:53 PM

Mine does it, too. It's not horrible, but noticeable.

I'm sending it away on Monday for replacement due to white spots and am just kind of hoping that it magically comes back without the creaky hinge. I'd settle for it not being worse when it comes back, though.

We just got a new 12" PB in at work, and its hinge is perfectly smooth. It'd be nice if my 15" came back like that, but I'm not holding my breath.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

jwon985
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 01:18 AM

i'm still waiting for parts to come in, but...
the guy at the shop said one of the screws in the hinge looked loose when moving the screen around... this may be the cause...
other theories are that the constant heat and cold is causing warping...
i hope this isn't true. but when i look at my lid when its closed...
its considerably higher on the left side than when i first got it...

my creaking is unbearably loud...
need a solution... i found a solution online at macfixit...
but the solution was only available to premium members or something. -_-

...will update when repaired...

Forum Links
Forum Rules