Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Another machine bites the dust

Another machine bites the dust
Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 08:49 PM

Well my G4 450 just died completely so there goes another machine from F@H. It wasn't much but it helped. It seems that it needs a new processor. I have noticed that it has been heating up to really high temps lately and running slow. I now know why.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 09:52 PM

What model? Yikes!? Sawtooth? 800mhz Powerlogix upgrades are running around $250 if I'm not mistaken. 'Turn that slowpoke into a screamer.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Kevin Moon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 10:57 PM

It was a sawtooth. I'm waiting for my college loans to come through so I can at least get an upgrade. Glad I got my 1Ghz Tibook at least I have another machine to get my school work done on. Anyway what kind of upgrade do you recommend for the naughty sawtooth. This semester seems like

reader50
Administrator
Feb 25, 2004, 12:46 AM

If it was running hot but the heatsink was still cool, the thermal paste most likely had dried out. My guess is that the CPU would have been ok with a dose of fresh paste.

If you check here, you will note that they are clearing out a PowerLogix 800 for $140.

Kevin Moon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 01:04 AM

The heat sink was super hot. I was surprised when I found out that it was running that hot. I went out and bought a pci slot blower fan but I guess it was a little late. It did keep it cooler to the touch and I noticed about a 50 degree difference on the menu meter temp. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will be up and running. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Kevin

At least it was running through the race!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2004, 01:12 AM

Fan fail?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
If it was running hot but the heatsink was still cool, the thermal paste most likely had dried out. My guess is that the CPU would have been ok with a dose of fresh paste.

If you check here, you will note that they are clearing out a PowerLogix 800 for $140.
I'm just wondering how much difference a 1.47 G4 on that page would *really* make to a Gigabit Ethernet machine?

I only ask as I have a dual 450, and would jump at one of the upgrades from the US with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment!

The upgrade would cost me �800 in the UK, but It would be about �240 from your link!

Kevin Moon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 05:34 PM

Well all the fans were running I think it was a case of to much extra stuff in the case. Anyway after taking everything out and putting it all back in again I now get to the grey apple logo. Thats as far as it goes. It will not start up off a cd or the drives. It goes through the check of the keyboard and thats as far as it goes. If it stays running for about 15 minutes all the hard drives and most of the fans shut off. The only fans running are on the graphics card and the pci fan I put in. All three hard drives are going to an siig ata 133 card. It seems that the processor is kicking somewhat but something else is dead.

Side question as to processor upgrades: What is the point at which I would no longer notice any speed difference?

Thank you all for helping.
Kevin

Welnic
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I'm just wondering how much difference a 1.47 G4 on that page would *really* make to a Gigabit Ethernet machine?

I only ask as I have a dual 450, and would jump at one of the upgrades from the US with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment!

The upgrade would cost me �800 in the UK, but It would be about �240 from your link!
I upgraded a 400MHz G4 (it has an AGP slot) to dual 800MHz G4s. I have a machine at home that came with 2 800MHz G4s. As far as doing distributed computing I have never noticed a difference in output between the two.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Welnic:
I upgraded a 400MHz G4 (it has an AGP slot) to dual 800MHz G4s. I have a machine at home that came with 2 800MHz G4s. As far as doing distributed computing I have never noticed a difference in output between the two.
Thanks for the info... I'm now seriously tempted indeed!

I bet it would really speed up my work too...

I'm also sure that if I put in a Quartz Extreme Graphics card, a better IDE card and either a dual CPU upgrade or a high mhz single, the machine will have years of life left in it...

I feel a rush of upgrading coming on...

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Welnic:
OOoh that's awesome. I just installed a G4 450 ZIF module on a Blue and White for a customer a few days ago, and last summer I put a 900 mhz G3 in my 400 mhz Pismo. I love those processor upgrades, they're so sweet.

I just troubleshot this dual 2 ghz G5 we have here in the shop back to a working state, so now I'll be churning out an extra 2-3 workunits per day. Sweet.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

mikkyo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Moon:
Well all the fans were running I think it was a case of to much extra stuff in the case. Anyway after taking everything out and putting it all back in again I now get to the grey apple logo. Thats as far as it goes. It will not start up off a cd or the drives. It goes through the check of the keyboard and thats as far as it goes. If it stays running for about 15 minutes all the hard drives and most of the fans shut off. The only fans running are on the graphics card and the pci fan I put in. All three hard drives are going to an siig ata 133 card. It seems that the processor is kicking somewhat but something else is dead.

Side question as to processor upgrades: What is the point at which I would no longer notice any speed difference?

Thank you all for helping.
Kevin
What happens when you boot off and run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the machine?
It should be able to pinpoint the fault for you.

Welnic
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 10:01 PM

I just poked around in some FAHlogs. Running on the p520_BBA5-pf protein my home computer (stock dual 800MHz G4s) did 20% in 5:28. On the same protein my work rig (dual 800MHz G4 upgraded from 400MHz G4) did 20% in 5:07.

emark
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2004, 11:25 AM

when you look at the upgrades, choose carefully.

I love having a dual machine...most of the time.

It would be hard to choose between a dual 800 and a single 1400 MHz...

As the clients only run on one processor at a time, and due to my lack of command line comfort I've kept running the screensaver, my dual 800 is effectively a single 800 where FAH is concerned...

Also, w/ respect to gaming, apart from Quake, most games aren't recognizing/utilizing the second chip apart from passing off audio as a seperate thread...so again, my dual 800 Quicksilver would loose to a single 1400 mhz chip...

If you can follow instructions better than me, and distributed computing is your bag, then the dual is the way to go....I guess. If you've got big cash, then dual 1400 Mhz would be the best of both worlds...but for the cost, by the time you add up the processors, when is it better to take advantage of the sale on refurb single 1.8 G5??? @ $1699 the refurb is hard to ignore...faster busses, new graphics engine, SATA, PCI-express.....then recoup $$ by selling your machine on ebay....

This is where I'm stuck now....to get anything worthwhile for an upgrade to an MP 800 Quicksilver I'm spending too much vs. new?

Kevin Moon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 03:23 AM

It won't boot off any cd thats in the cd drive. It doesn't really get anywhere you see the apple logo and thats about all it does. The cd spins up then it to powers down after a bit of sitting there. It goes through the start-up check of the keyboard and stuff then after that it stops. I have tried starting up off of a couple of cds, apple and diskwarrior and such, with no luck. I'm guessing that a controller on the logic board went.

Welnic
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 12:20 PM

Update on upgrades, my replacement for the upgraded to dual 800MHz G4, a dual 2GHz G5, does 20% of p520_BBA5-pf in 1:53.

Kevin Moon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 05:49 PM

Well the G4 is officially dead as it costs to much to fix it. I was going to be getting a new G5 with the help of school loans. Now I'm working on the laptop which is great but it seems a lot slower than a desktop when I run a ton of programs. Well today I found out the transmission in my car needs to be replaced so no new G5 now. The sad thing is the car has 63000 miles on it. After having many problems with both the taurus and sables I'm never getting another one. With luck though I will get a G5 in the fall. Wish me luck with trying to pull that one off. I want to thank all of you who tried to help me fix my G4, I greatly appreciate it.

Kevin

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Moon:
Well the G4 is officially dead as it costs to much to fix it. I was going to be getting a new G5 with the help of school loans. Now I'm working on the laptop which is great but it seems a lot slower than a desktop when I run a ton of programs. Well today I found out the transmission in my car needs to be replaced so no new G5 now. The sad thing is the car has 63000 miles on it. After having many problems with both the taurus and sables I'm never getting another one. With luck though I will get a G5 in the fall. Wish me luck with trying to pull that one off. I want to thank all of you who tried to help me fix my G4, I greatly appreciate it.

Kevin
I am VERY interested in buying the carcass of the dead G4. EMail me at [email protected] if you are interested in selling it for parts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules