Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Better to wait for PB G5 or get a good deal on current PB G4?

Better to wait for PB G5 or get a good deal on current PB G4?
sdaccord01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 06:34 PM

Hi, I know a friend who goes to UCLA and can get me a deal on the 1.25 ghz 15.2" PB G4 with superdrive. He can get me that for $1999 + $99 for applecare and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the G5? I'm looking to only spend around the price I'm paying for, but I'm wondering how much I can really benefit from a G5? For those waiting, are you guys using the PB as a desktop replacement? This is going to be my secondary laptop as I have an overclocked P4 (3.4 Ghz) already.

toshigen
Feb 25, 2004, 12:10 AM

Do you need the laptop now? It sounds like you don't since you have the PC laptop. Or is there a reason you specifically need/want the Mac?

If you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket that you're just dying to spend, then go for it... but why spend the money if you don't really need to?

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 02:15 AM

Get it, sell it on ebay and make some money. Or better yet, sell you PC and keep the Mac. You won't regret it. And about the money that's burning your pocket, I'll send you my paypal account. It'll find a good hospitable home over there.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 02:59 AM

$1999 for the 1.25 GHz 15" PowerBook with SuperDrive is a great price. Most education prices I've seen are $2299.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 03:04 AM

thank god somebody asked this question, for it haasn't been asked before 500 times in the past week or anything.

sdaccord01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 03:14 AM

Sorry, I meant that the powerbook would be a secondary computer to my PC. I think what I'm going to do is ebay my IBM T41 and save the money in a savings account until the new macs come. I talked to one of my buddies and he said it's better just to wait out to see what apple has in store for the powerbook next. I don't have a lot of money, I wish I did. If I did have a lot of money I wouldn't be asking about getting a G4 now or wait to get a G5 PB.

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by sdaccord01:
Sorry, I meant that the powerbook would be a secondary computer to my PC. I think what I'm going to do is ebay my IBM T41 and save the money in a savings account until the new macs come. I talked to one of my buddies and he said it's better just to wait out to see what apple has in store for the powerbook next. I don't have a lot of money, I wish I did. If I did have a lot of money I wouldn't be asking about getting a G4 now or wait to get a G5 PB.
Dang it! Why can I not think logically like that and wait out for my next PB myself? I just have to go ahead and order tomorrow for some weird reason. Crap. I get the feeling I'm going to lose money I don't have.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 03:53 AM

Me, too. I need to order soon and most likely will order tomorrow. I'm flying to Europe next Sunday and I'll need a PowerBook by then. Reason tells me to wait, but I've been waiting 2 months since I've sold my iBook, and I can't wait any longer.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
Me, too. I need to order soon and most likely will order tomorrow. I'm flying to Europe next Sunday and I'll need a PowerBook by then. Reason tells me to wait, but I've been waiting 2 months since I've sold my iBook, and I can't wait any longer.
Yeah, macrumors says to wait, too. This is a cool page by the way:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 11:20 AM

Hi, I know a friend who goes to UCLA and can get me a deal on the 1.25 ghz 15.2" PB G4 with superdrive. He can get me that for $1999 + $99 for applecare and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the G5? I'm looking to only spend around the price I'm paying for, but I'm wondering how much I can really benefit from a G5? For those waiting, are you guys using the PB as a desktop replacement? This is going to be my secondary laptop as I have an overclocked P4 (3.4 Ghz) already.

Well, I think the most important thing for you to consider is this. Look at the deal, if you can catch a deal on a 15-inch AlPb, go for it. Now if this deal is going to be around and you do not need the computer right now, then of course wait. Plus, if your finances are unstable at this point waiting is no problem. Purchasing a computer is an investment and all investment should be made from the aspects how it is going to help you. Also, keep this in mind when buying a computer, regardless of fast it goes etc etc... it is not the hardware that counts it is the software. I am saying this because alot of times when a new computer is released the software on the market is not to standards of taking advantage of all the new hardware the lastest computer have in them. Take 64 Bit computing for example...........

sdaccord01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 03:40 PM

thank you for the replies, i think i'm going to save up some money so when time comes for the new powerbooks to arrive, I can get one. I work sears commission so sometimes i make money, other times i don't make so much. Either that or maybe get a used Ti 800mhz or something. How's the reliability on the older Ti powerbooks?

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 04:54 PM

thank you for the replies, i think i'm going to save up some money so when time comes for the new powerbooks to arrive, I can get one. I work sears commission so sometimes i make money, other times i don't make so much. Either that or maybe get a used Ti 800mhz or something. How's the reliability on the older Ti powerbooks?
They're solid. I have a 866 Ti and I'm selling it becaue I'm being stupid and I can't wait. Oh, and because someone else is paying for the Al, but that's a different story.

gomariners
Feb 26, 2004, 02:18 PM

I wouldn't wait for the G5 - not because it's infinitely far away, but because I'd be wary of that rev1. I have an albook and one reason I'm happy to have it is that it will make it impossible for me to rationalize getting a rev1 g5 pb.

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't wait for a G5, either, but I would wait until the next upgrade is out (G4 or G5 I don't care), so that I can get the same Al I want to buy now, but cheaper.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
thank god somebody asked this question, for it haasn't been asked before 500 times in the past week or anything.
I clicked on this post HOPING someone would bring this up.

I wish they would just go bother the iMac forum (the only one I don't visit)

OR

use search

OR scroll down the page to see the other 5 posted within the last 10 days.

Big Booger
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 03:10 PM

The hinges break, they scratch, paint can get worn off, screens can fail, the optical drive isn't encased firmly enough....but you'll still find people defending them.
Mr. Smith 'I don't know you from Adam.'

Mr. Klein 'I dress better.'

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Big Booger:
The hinges break, they scratch, paint can get worn off, screens can fail, the optical drive isn't encased firmly enough....but you'll still find people defending them.
Never had a problem with my hinge in 14 months (guess I'm lucky). Not a scratch on my screen or the outside, but I use a pieace of chamois between the keys and the screen (home made). Paint is indeed terrible on the plastic part around the Ti. It chips like anything, without even touching it. It started to lift because of heat I think. Optical drive is fine. Never a problem with it. Oh, and not a single white spot like the Al's have. This is actually my biggest fear now that I'm switching.

Big Booger
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by CyberGeorge:
Never had a problem with my hinge in 14 months (guess I'm lucky). Not a scratch on my screen or the outside, but I use a pieace of chamois between the keys and the screen (home made). Paint is indeed terrible on the plastic part around the Ti. It chips like anything, without even touching it. It started to lift because of heat I think. Optical drive is fine. Never a problem with it. Oh, and not a single white spot like the Al's have. This is actually my biggest fear now that I'm switching.
There's nothing to fear. It was a temporary problem and not a design fault (builder's fault). I had three Tis (400, 550 and 800) and they all had one or two of those problems. With the 17" Al I've yet to have a single problem in a year. It's really amazing how good the quality is. It isn't scratchproof like Apple claims it is but scratches aren't as visible as on the Ti.

Don't switch yet though. I'm really fed up of 64MBs VRAM. It's not enough for a system with QE and then having to run games and a secondary monitor. And you'll kick yourself if the G5 has really good performance on the Powerbook.

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I know I'm being stupid that I'm switching and I'm trying to convince myself to wait. But here's my situation:

1. I don't play games at all, but of course VRAM is always cool (Photoshop, video, etc.)
2. I have a chance now for work to pay for it, which I'm not sure if I'll have later.
3. Unfortunately, even though the G5 is a cool processor, OS X is not there yet. It does not take full advantage of 64-bit CPU's. I'm not saying the G5 desktop is not much faster than a G4 at the same clock speed or that a G5 PB won't be faster than a G4, but I get the feeling I'm paying for some hardware that I'm not using to its fullest. And by the time OS X will be 64-bit, there's going to be a better PB out.
4. I'm a little afraid that if I get the first computer out of the next batch, I'm going to have problems that are going to be corrected down the line. It's happened before with PB models especially.

Even in the light of all this, though, I still think it's stupid that I'm getting an Al now. I should still wait, BUT I WANT THE DAMN THING SO MUCH!!!!

hayesk
Feb 26, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by CyberGeorge:
Yeah, I know I'm being stupid that I'm switching and I'm trying to convince myself to wait. But here's my situation:

1. I don't play games at all, but of course VRAM is always cool (Photoshop, video, etc.)
It doesn't matter for Photoshop. Now Quartz Extreme will do better if you have lots of windows open, but I don't think it will really matter that much unless they're all very busy and semitransparent.

The G5 wait will be months. Get a current PowerBook and you can use it now.

Big Booger
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
It doesn't matter for Photoshop. Now Quartz Extreme will do better if you have lots of windows open, but I don't think it will really matter that much unless they're all very busy and semitransparent.

The G5 wait will be months. Get a current PowerBook and you can use it now.
NO! Don't listen to hayesk. I remember listening the same advice 'It will be in six months'. So off I went to buy a Ti800. One month later 1Ghz comes out. Another two months later the Alu17 comes out with bigger screen and cheaper price.

Boy was I distoibed.

The PBG5 will happen by summer. Time passes quickly. Until then make use of what your got and optimise your best CPU - the brain, to work harder.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 05:07 AM

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.

It's stupid to buy now when an upgrade is just around the corner. Think of it this way, if the next Powerbook is a G4, it will be the best G4 powerbook yet. If it's a G5, you'll get more out of your machine for longer.

I am using a G4 550 right now. It shudders trying to play five tracks in Garageband. I have a friend who is letting me use his ADC discount when I need to. I'm buying at the last possible moment I can - everything I use my computer for is fine for now, just like it was fine six months ago. Garageband can wait.

I'm not saying wait forever, but usually the best time to buy is right when they release something. That way you know you've got the latest and greatest - and then there's no reason to wait.

g

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 08:51 AM

Actually, this is a good test. How is the Al doing with GarageBand? Does it play all the demo songs without the pointer going red? Can someone chime in on this?

DesignByJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I agree to wait for the newer upgrade of PowerBook. I sold my Dual G4 4, been waiting for 4 months. Of course is good to have the G5 PowerBook for the next release, but really doubt so it will be so soon.. Apple still solving the over heat problem for G5.. hopefully this mid year.. perhaps G4 PowerBook might have one more last round to release? who know..

superfula
Senior User
Feb 29, 2004, 04:55 PM

Wait for what? A minor processor bump? No way. If you have the deal, which is a great deal, get it. IF by chance the revision B powerbook has more than a processor bump, and you want it, Just sell the powerbook you got a great deal on, and probably still come out on the positive with it.

Lose the IBM as fast as you can and get the powerbook. Using a pc for any amount of time longer than you have to, just because you are waiting for that extra 15-20 mghz bump, is insane.

Forum Links
Forum Rules