Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I dropped my ibook

I dropped my ibook
mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 02:52 PM

I can't believe it. I dropped my clamshell 366SE ibook SPLAT on the concrete driveway. Must not have zipped the backpack completely. Nothing visual and doesn't seem to have anything loose. One crack related to a spill a while ago near the cd/dv drive. No power. Nothing. I am not very happy to say the least. Apple says to send it in as I still have Applecare but I don't think they are going to cover it because of the earlier crack. We will see.
Any way, if I decide to not put any money in to it are the parts useable to anyone for replacements? I will know later this week and may just save up for a few months and take the plunge to get a new ibook. I do so much photo work I have maxed out the memory and also use an external drive. Luckily I have taken advice to make back up cd's of my photos as soon as I transfer them to iphoto. iPhoto buddy has been great also.
I am not happy with myself! I do have a desktop so I am not without a computer. I am just very attached to my ibook. Now I have to actually sit at a desk. How spoiled I am!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2004, 05:37 PM

That title is just so descriptive. Kinda hard to know what's inside the post. Anyway, sorry about the spill. I'm very glad that I haven't had any serious spills with my iBook. Just a few scratches I was a bit devestated about, but realized that they're really nothing.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 10:40 AM

I doubt apple's going to do much because of that initial crack. If I were you i'd look into a powerbook, especially if you do photo work. I was considering an ibook a few months ago, but I do a great deal of photoshop work so I went with the powerbook. The ability to do dual display is a godsend.

Let us know how it pans out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules