Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > spinning wheel at login screen

spinning wheel at login screen
asidrane
Feb 26, 2004, 04:19 PM

I have a powermac g4. it is set to boot to the login screen. The only problem is, that whenever I click on an icon to log the user in, the spinning wheel comes up and never goes away.

Is there a way I can boot into single user mode or something and change the setting so that it will automatically login a specific user. Or has anyone encountered the specific problem? If so, how did they fix it? THank you

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2004, 11:51 AM

Try booting into single user mode and check to see if you have any corrupt preference files.

Sorry, you have to have a clue about Unix to do that without just blindly moving all preference files. Could also be a NetInfo issue.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Kate
Senior User
Feb 28, 2004, 01:55 PM

Insert your install CD, boot from it while pressing the "C" key, choose diskutility from the main menu and let it repair the permissions on your hatd drive where your system resides.

The spinning wheel at the login window is almost always a permissions problem with either the netinfo database or the associated data files, that is where your users and corresponding passwords are beeing stored, and the application loginwindow fails to read those data files needed to verify an attempted login.

Hope this helps!

asidrane  (op)
Mar 2, 2004, 06:49 AM

I've done a repair permission while booted off the cd and i've also booted into single user mode. I wasn't able to solve the problem either.

If you have any suggestiosn for what I should do I single user mode,let me know. I have a working knowledge of unix. I am curently working towards a masters in cs

Kate
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 08:09 AM

ok, in that case there might be another problem.
In order to circumvent all user related issues, you should again boot from cd, reset all passwords (including your own!) and further create a new additional user. Choose whichever name and password you like.

Try to boot from the disk and try logging in as the new user. If this works you got defective prefs somewhere in your private account. If that is the case post again and I lead you through the works....

If the new user experiences the same problems your system has most likely severe damages and it might be better to think about a new system installation and saving your user data. Anyway, post back in either case.

asidrane  (op)
Mar 3, 2004, 03:23 PM

I booted off of the cd and reset all of the passwords fo rthe user accounts. I didn't know how to create a new account while booted off the cd however.

Is this system salvegable, or should I just reinstall?

rphtechnology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 04:08 PM

Seems like you would be better off with a fresh OS install. I had the same issue on my iBook and was unable to remedy it without reinstalling X.
QuickSilver 733 / T1

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 05:28 PM

If you have a copy of DiskWarrior, run it from the CD. If you do have access to the net from another Mac, you can first make an updated CD

Forum Links
Forum Rules