Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pixel pushing with Photoshop

Pixel pushing with Photoshop
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 03:11 PM

I did this in Photoshop over the last couple of days. No real reason I can give for the illustration, other than I opened Photoshop in a moment of boredom and this happened. It seems to depict a lone planetary object wandering too close to a star and beginning to disintegrate/vaporize. To be honest, the planet was lifted from an earlier illustration I made and posted last year, with vapor trails added to it.

The original size for this one is about 1800 pixels wide, and looks better than it does at the reduced size (800 width when you click on it). Any feedback or simple ridicule is welcomed.

close-up of the planet:

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2004, 03:14 PM

I think that looks cool, but shouldn't the vapor trail go the other way? Or is this like the comet effect where the tail is actually away from the sun? I like it anyway. You should post the full 1800px link.

That planet looks very much like earth.... eek.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2004, 03:16 PM

You did it completely from scratch? Flaming sun, space, meteor, and all? Or did you have some photos to work from? I'm curious.

Either way, awesome work. Very impressive. Would make an awesome desktop.

Open up Photoshop more often.

MacAgent
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 03:18 PM

...awesome...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 8, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
blah blah blah
dude, what the hell would you know about Photoshop? i thought ambush told you already? i mean, jeez...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 8, 2004, 03:26 PM

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 03:37 PM

You did it completely from scratch? Flaming sun, space, meteor, and all? Or did you have some photos to work from? I'm curious.

Either way, awesome work. Very impressive. Would make an awesome desktop.

Open up Photoshop more often.
It's all pretty much from scratch except for the planet I lifted from an earlier illustration of mine. Lots of layers, blending modes, filters... all the fun stuff they pack in Photoshop. I can make this in different sizes if anyone wants a desktop. You are also welcome to the original file if you like - let me know and I'll upload it and post a link.

ghost_flash: On retrospect you are probably right. I thought the vapor looked kind of cool going towards the star, giving the impression that the atmosphere is getting sucked right off.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

ghost_flash: On retrospect you are probably right. I thought the vapor looked kind of cool going towards the star, giving the impression that the atmosphere is getting sucked right off.
Good stuff. I'd like to see the PSD on that one.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 03:52 PM

Very cool.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
dude, what the hell would you know about Photoshop? i thought ambush told you already? i mean, jeez...
Oh yeah. I forgot. He made me cry. He's probably hung himself by now after I posted his little iChat fit, so I guess that makes us even.

It's all pretty much from scratch except for the planet I lifted from an earlier illustration of mine. Lots of layers, blending modes, filters... all the fun stuff they pack in Photoshop. I can make this in different sizes if anyone wants a desktop. You are also welcome to the original file if you like - let me know and I'll upload it and post a link.

Awesome. I wouldn't mind checking out the original file if you wouldn't mind, and a desktop would be sweet. I'm so demanding.

Life-sucking vaporization: good decision.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2004, 03:56 PM

<--- Would like a desktop sized copy.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 04:12 PM

Very nice, I wish I could do that... some tips would be nice If you're making desktop sizes, 1280x854 would be good.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 8, 2004, 04:12 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot. He made me cry. He's probably hung himself by now after I posted his little iChat fit, so I guess that makes us even.
he probably cried to mommy about the nasty man on the intarweb who made fun of him.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 04:25 PM

Here's the original .psd file (8.8 MB .zip file) for anyone who is interested. Thanks for the compliments - I'll post some desktops very shortly.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 04:26 PM

HEY!! Where's the cream filling? I mean, where's the 1600x1200 version?!

[edit] LOLARBLADES! I post it and lo, there above my post just scant seconds before mine is the answer. Gotta love teh entarnet.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 04:45 PM

hot stuff!

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
HEY!! Where's the cream filling? I mean, where's the 1600x1200 version?!

[edit] LOLARBLADES! I post it and lo, there above my post just scant seconds before mine is the answer. Gotta love teh entarnet.

Actually the original file is 1800 width, but the height is only about 880. Sorry. I'll make some desktops that are taller than 880, but they may not be quite as sharp.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2004, 04:50 PM

Here's the original .psd file (8.8 MB .zip file) for anyone who is interested. Thanks for the compliments - I'll post some desktops very shortly.
Awesome stuff! Most impressive. Thanks for sharing.

ambush
Banned
Mar 8, 2004, 04:55 PM

Awesome stuff! Most impressive. Thanks for sharing.
this guy has artistic/graphic talents! eh?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2004, 05:32 PM

eh

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 06:02 PM

I did this in Photoshop over the last couple of days. No real reason I can give for the illustration, other than I opened Photoshop in a moment of boredom and this happened. It seems to depict a lone planetary object wandering too close to a star and beginning to disintegrate/vaporize. To be honest, the planet was lifted from an earlier illustration I made and posted last year, with vapor trails added to it.

The original size for this one is about 1800 pixels wide, and looks better than it does at the reduced size (800 width when you click on it). Any feedback or simple ridicule is welcomed.

close-up of the planet:

That's what would happen to a plaent if it got to close to its parent sun. There's a thing called the Roche limit, which is a line at which a planet starts breaking up and passing up it's own material when it gets just too close . </pendantic sh1t>
weird wabbit

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 07:43 PM

Desktop images (.mac automatically compressed them, so each is a .hqx file):

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 854
1440 x 900
1600 x 1200

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
That's what would happen to a plaent if it got to close to its parent sun. There's a thing called the Roche limit, which is a line at which a planet starts breaking up and passing up it's own material when it gets just too close . </pendantic sh1t>
cool thanks theolein

great photoshop xi

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 04:29 AM

This would be very impressive to put in your portfolio if say you wanted to apply for a position as a NASA-illustrator.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 07:37 AM

Truly Awesome, xi_hyperon. Any help from Kai Kruse? Convincing imagery either way.
e-gads

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 10:36 AM

*blush*

Thanks for the compliments. I'm going to have to find a way to do less work and play more in Photoshop.

gadster,
I used to have some kai filters many years ago but haven't used his stuff in a long time. I haven't seen much about him in awhile. Does he still make PS filters or does he make standalone software now? I've just been using stock Photoshop, although looking at some of the work of illustrators out there, I suspect that there is something additional being used, perhaps for 3D modeling.

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 11:01 AM

*blush*

Thanks for the compliments. I'm going to have to find a way to do less work and play more in Photoshop.

gadster,
I used to have some kai filters many years ago but haven't used his stuff in a long time. I haven't seen much about him in awhile. Does he still make PS filters or does he make standalone software now? I've just been using stock Photoshop, although looking at some of the work of illustrators out there, I suspect that there is something additional being used, perhaps for 3D modeling.
Buggered if I know what K. Kruse is up to. But that doomed planet looked vaguely like a KPT preset. To create that from scratch: kudos, bigtime. The 3D thing: that's fer the young 'uns.
e-gads

Scifience
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Impressive, most impressive

Forum Links
Forum Rules