Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Aluminium PowerBook 15" and the Japanese Ethernet Mystery

Aluminium PowerBook 15" and the Japanese Ethernet Mystery
iNeusch
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 08:52 AM

OK, this a hard one for the MacNN forums readers...

My brother in law is in Japan at the moment.
He bought a brand new 15 inch PowerBook out there and has the ability to connect from the Faculty of Kyoto where he lives (he stays there for a year)

In the Network preference, the ethernet line which is suppose to show the stauts is invisible. Therefore is is unable to setup the connection proxies, even though the only active interface is ethernet.

I first thought it was a Software problem, so I made him reinstall the whole thing from scratch (with two different dvd installs) and the problem stays even with a Zap PRAM and open firmware reset-defaults reset-all.

Apple got the powerbook back, changed the logic board, but nothing changed. Now Apple won't take care fo the powerbook saying that it has been fixed.

The japanese of this guy is not good enough to explain what exactly is going on... and that's what's missing, because Apple really thinks they fixed it !

1) Has anyone heard of that problem / has a solution
2) Would anyone in Kyoto take the time to meet my brother in law or call Apple with him
3) Any other suggestion...

Thanks to the Mac community for the help

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2004, 09:11 AM

apple japan has english-speaking staff. according to this page, he should call 0070-800-27753-1 and press 5.

-r.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004, 09:54 AM

This may not help but I can tell you how I would connect to Ethernet Cables in Hotels in Japan with my 17" PB. It usually worked for me this way.

I'd click on the Apple on the top Menu of the Desktop and select Location then choose Network Preferences to create a new Location(I often returned to the same Hotel)

Under Network Preferences I would select Location and Choose New. Name it for my current Location.

Next I would configure it. The key step being choose Show Network Port Configurations and drag Built-in Ethernet to the top of the list then uncheck everything else or(and this is critical) my PB would not see the etherent connection unless I did this.

Next most Hotels let me configure the TCP/IP as DHCP and then I got connected.

I know this won't help you with your brothers problem but I wanted to show you how it should work when everything is normal.

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 01:08 PM

He has a hard time to explain to Apple Support the problem, that's the big issue

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 02:25 PM

He won't call again, just because he is unable of explaining what the problem is (lenglish level is a problem)
Apple argues that the mac has been fixed and that they won't look at it again...

I really need to get in touch with someone in Kyoto that could call the tech support with him and make this compured repaired.

I'm getting pretty desperate on this one...

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 03:15 AM

Do you think th etech supports have an email adress ?
If I can email them with the whole story, maybe that could solve the problem...

FlatLyna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 06:32 AM

I wasn't sure from your description if the networking worked at all, or if it had an IP address ?

I've had a think about the problem and can think of a few of things to try...

From a terminal window "ifconfig" should show a listing of network interfaces and current settings.

Try creating a "New Location..." in the network prefs as this is likely to re-detect all possible network capable devices (ethernet/firewire/modem/bluetooth). I have locations setup for home and my office in wired and wireless configs. I disable the interfaces not required in a particular config

If that does not work, try using the "Network Utility" in the utilities folder in Applications. The Info page allows you to select either the firewire or ethernet interface and get ip address details, link speed etc. That might at least indicate that the devices are recognised by the OS.

HTH
Nick

G5 DP2.0Ghz 970FX 2Gb R9800XT Sony Superdrive
15" Al PBG4 1GHz 768Mb

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by FlatLyna:
I wasn't sure from your description if the networking worked at all, or if it had an IP address ?

I've had a think about the problem and can think of a few of things to try...

From a terminal window "ifconfig" should show a listing of network interfaces and current settings.

Try creating a "New Location..." in the network prefs as this is likely to re-detect all possible network capable devices (ethernet/firewire/modem/bluetooth). I have locations setup for home and my office in wired and wireless configs. I disable the interfaces not required in a particular config

If that does not work, try using the "Network Utility" in the utilities folder in Applications. The Info page allows you to select either the firewire or ethernet interface and get ip address details, link speed etc. That might at least indicate that the devices are recognised by the OS.

HTH
The "New Location" thing doesn't work, that's for sure, but I'll try the other stuff

Thanks !

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:49 AM

Here are the infos he gets in the Network Utility

Mac Adress 00:0a:95:98:x:x
IP Adress 144.3.8.0
Speed 0Mo
Link Status inactive

and other crap

So the card is working ?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2004, 01:26 PM

I would just start from the beginning. Go to a hotel or some place where you can access the internet. If it works there using ethernet, then some configuration is wrong.

The net administrator at Kyoto should take care of that.

If that doesn't help.. try:

http://tokyopia.com/megabbs/category-view.asp

This is a forum of people that live in many cities in Japan which are into videogames. I would like to think that they are also into computers. Ask for help there. Most speak english. Also, there are some US regulars that post in those forums and live in Japan.

FlatLyna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:

IP Adress 144.3.8.0
Speed 0Mo
Link Status inactive

and other crap

So the card is working ?
The details you've given look like those for the FW0 (IP over Firewire). There is a drop down list just above that so you can choose the ethernet port instead - what does that say?
Nick

G5 DP2.0Ghz 970FX 2Gb R9800XT Sony Superdrive
15" Al PBG4 1GHz 768Mb

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by polendo:
I would just start from the beginning. Go to a hotel or some place where you can access the internet. If it works there using ethernet, then some configuration is wrong.

The net administrator at Kyoto should take care of that.

If that doesn't help.. try:

http://tokyopia.com/megabbs/category-view.asp

This is a forum of people that live in many cities in Japan which are into videogames. I would like to think that they are also into computers. Ask for help there. Most speak english. Also, there are some US regulars that post in those forums and live in Japan.
You don't get it.
There is no way he can even access the Ethernet settings... DHCP isn't even on !

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by FlatLyna:
The details you've given look like those for the FW0 (IP over Firewire). There is a drop down list just above that so you can choose the ethernet port instead - what does that say?
These are the infos he gets for ethernet.
They are the same he gets for Firewire.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 08:50 PM

In the "Show Network Configuration Ports" setting, what does it list? All Macs should have at least "Built-in Ethernet" and "Built-in Modem". Firewire and Bluetooth are usually not shown until selected, and Airport is only available if the card is installed.

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
In the "Show Network Configuration Ports" setting, what does it list? All Macs should have at least "Built-in Ethernet" and "Built-in Modem". Firewire and Bluetooth are usually not shown until selected, and Airport is only available if the card is installed.
Ethernet
Bluetooth
Modem

Only Ethernet is selected

Thanks guys I appreciate the help

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 05:04 AM

well... if he's ever in Tokyo, he can go to the Apple Store. OR... i'm sure there are TONS of mac user groups over there... and etc... but if he can just find a mac friendly IT guy at the place he's trying to connect at.. maybe that will do it.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 05:52 AM

IP Adress 144.3.8.0
Speed 0Mo
Link Status inactive

and other crap

So the card is working ?
I obtain Speed 0Mo and Link status inactive when I have no physical ethernet connection. But in this case, the IP address is 0.0.0.0. So your situation is a bit strange. If you have an IP address, the ethernet card must be working, I am not sure. Can you try to connect to a different location with ethernet and internet access known to be working?

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
I obtain Speed 0Mo and Link status inactive when I have no physical ethernet connection. But in this case, the IP address is 0.0.0.0. So your situation is a bit strange. If you have an IP address, the ethernet card must be working, I am not sure. Can you try to connect to a different location with ethernet and internet access known to be working?
In fact what he did was unplug the cable from a PC connected to the internet with DHCP and plug it into the mac... but nothing worked
Still no ethernet in the Network pref pane

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 06:17 AM

In fact what he did was unplug the cable from a PC connected to the internet with DHCP and plug it into the mac... but nothing worked
Still no ethernet in the Network pref pane
You mean the internet connection is OK on the PC, and the cable is an normal ethernet one, right? If so, and if a restart does not resolve the issue, this is an indication of a faulty ethernet card. But it wouldn't hurt to try a different and working location, if possible.

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
You mean the internet connection is OK on the PC, and the cable is an normal ethernet one, right? If so, and if a restart does not resolve the issue, this is an indication of a faulty ethernet card. But it would hurt to try a different and working location, if possible.
I really think the ethernet card is faulty, but Apple already changed the logic board on that comp and my brother in law has a low english level and has a lot of trouble explaining what the problem is.

That's why I need someone in Kyoto or Japan to contact Apple to get the powerbook repaired for him...

If you are in Japan, or best, in Kyoto, please drop me a line

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 06:24 AM

If you are in Japan, or best, in Kyoto, please drop me a line
No, Europe here, sorry.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 11:45 AM

That's why I was pointing you to the people of Tokyopia! There are a bunch of people who live in Kyoto who might help your brother with communicating to Apple Japan.

Just drop a line in the forum and see if they can help your brother in law.

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by polendo:
That's why I was pointing you to the people of Tokyopia! There are a bunch of people who live in Kyoto who might help your brother with communicating to Apple Japan.

Just drop a line in the forum and see if they can help your brother in law.
I went to the forum to look at it
I'd prefer a Mac Fan
A guy I can trust

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 08:03 PM

Ok..Good luck then.

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 03:12 AM

He decided he wouln't use the powerbook with the internet until august (when he comes back)... too bad no one could help

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 07:02 PM

OK, this a hard one for the MacNN forums readers...

My brother in law is in Japan at the moment.
He bought a brand new 15 inch PowerBook out there and has the ability to connect from the Faculty of Kyoto where he lives (he stays there for a year)

In the Network preference, the ethernet line which is suppose to show the stauts is invisible. Therefore is is unable to setup the connection proxies, even though the only active interface is ethernet.

I first thought it was a Software problem, so I made him reinstall the whole thing from scratch (with two different dvd installs) and the problem stays even with a Zap PRAM and open firmware reset-defaults reset-all.

Apple got the powerbook back, changed the logic board, but nothing changed. Now Apple won't take care fo the powerbook saying that it has been fixed.

The japanese of this guy is not good enough to explain what exactly is going on... and that's what's missing, because Apple really thinks they fixed it !

1) Has anyone heard of that problem / has a solution
2) Would anyone in Kyoto take the time to meet my brother in law or call Apple with him
3) Any other suggestion...

Thanks to the Mac community for the help
I have this same problem with airport after Apple changed my logic board to fix my graphics card. I'm trying to send mine back to Apple again to get this fixed.

iNeusch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 04:39 AM

Please keep me informed

Forum Links
Forum Rules