Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > question about switching...

question about switching...
dcc777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 01:51 AM

hello!

im thinking of picking up an ibook soon and switching from my pc. i have one question though - i have 2 external usb 2.0 drives that are fat32 formatted. can iuse these with OSX? i really have no other way of getting/using all the data on the drives.

any advice appreciated

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2004, 02:52 AM

OS X should recognize them easily enough. And dragging and dropping your data from the Fat32 drives onto your OS X drive shouldn't be too much of a biggie either. But I would suggest that you format the externals for Mac once you move your data off.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Mar 11, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by dcc777:
hello!

im thinking of picking up an ibook soon and switching from my pc. i have one question though - i have 2 external usb 2.0 drives that are fat32 formatted. can iuse these with OSX? i really have no other way of getting/using all the data on the drives.

any advice appreciated
Yeah actually they'll work, a friend of mine has an external HD which is formatted in fat32 and he's able to read/write files to that drive.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2004, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
But I would suggest that you format the externals for Mac once you move your data off.

I wouldn't, in case he needs to use the drives again on the pc for some reason. At the moment the drives will work on both so it's not worth formatting.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 07:03 AM

Yup, it works on both, so why bother formatting it? That way he would be able to use the drive both on his PC and Mac when needed.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

dcc777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 08:43 AM

hello!

thanks for the info

i won't be able to move the info to my ibook im afraid - theres just too much of it (3 externals: 120, 160 and 250gig)

ill just leave them the way they are, as long as i am sure they will be fine.

now - to figure out how long i should wait to buy (and if i should go with a new g4 or save some cash ad get a refurb g3....decisions, decisions)

dcc

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by dcc777:
hello!

now - to figure out how long i should wait to buy (and if i should go with a new g4 or save some cash ad get a refurb g3....decisions, decisions)
If I'm not mistaken, the G4 iBooks have a USB 2.0 connection but ALL the G3s are USB 1.1 only .... should make the decision easy (unless you want the data from your externals the crawl over a USB 1.1 connection.

On the brighter side, it shouldn't be an extremely long time until newer iBooks come out. Then you can pick up a refurb G4, still save some dough, and have the USB 2.0 that you need.

dcc777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 11:25 PM

ah yes, thanks for the info. must have usb2.0

im planning on waiting till the end of the month i think - hopefully something will happen by then

Forum Links
Forum Rules