Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Superdrive suddenly louder upon wakeup

Superdrive suddenly louder upon wakeup
mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 10:09 AM

Hi all,

First, I want to start off this post by stating that I am aware that it is absolutely normal for the Superdrive to make some noises during startup. I own a 1.33 17" Powerbook, and since I have taken it out of the box 6 months ago, it has made a consistent set of noises each time I would wake up the computer from sleep. Recently however, it has become MUCH louder. The original noises that I would hear are still there, then closely followed by a much louder noise (almost sounding like the superdrive is attempting to eject a CD - not really a grinding noise but more mechanical). I have tried to power down my computer and restart, and it even makes the loud noise during restart. I have verified that there is not a CD stuck in the drive, and I am still able to insert/eject CDs and burn them onto iTunes.

Last week I did finally purchase an iPod, and have since downloaded approximately 30 CDs within a weeks time. Could this have something to do with it? Does your Superdrive get much louder upon startup after some (somewhat) heavy usage?

Thanks for any information!!

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules