Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > trailer I just saw...WOW

trailer I just saw...WOW
powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2004, 10:28 PM

I don't post new topics too often, but this trailer look pretty amazing...

Thoughts?

http://immortel-lefilm.com/immortel_ba_hq.html
Joe

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by powerbook867:

Thoughts?

"The Fifth Element" meets "Stargate".

quandarry
Mar 13, 2004, 11:16 PM

pretty wild...

i'm not a gamer and don't know what the latest games are.

is this based on a game?

there actually seems to be real people in it but a good part of it is computer generated

stuff.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2004, 11:23 PM

V
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 11:59 PM

Seems like Bilal's adaptation of his "La trilogie Nikopol". One of the best graphic novel if not THE best I have ever read (and I have read a lot!). Really amazing, the first tome is brillant in his content and visually delirious, magnifique. The form of two others is completely burst, strange, very compelling. Haven't read it? Run to the library! Now!

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 12:02 AM

looks cool

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by powerbook867:

Thoughts?

Bilal makes real good comics. Talented guy. Interested in seeing if he can get the same quality on a movie.

villa

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 12:21 AM

My first thought is why are trailer so small still? I thought after the MatriX movies had such HUGE triailers the standard would change to something approaching good picture quality. They were actually bigger and clearer than DVDs. But we're still watching the same old mpg sized clips in 2003. Or am I just missing where to download the HUGE ones?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

boardsurfer
Mar 14, 2004, 12:25 AM

too bad it was so small. couldnt see anything

V
Senior User
Mar 14, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Bilal makes real good comics. Talented guy. Interested in seeing if he can get the same quality on a movie.

villa
His movies are usually ... rough.

I think it could be the same for this one.The story seems to focus on the second tome "La femme pi�ge" and he has change the story a lot. Anyway I just find a "review" from someone who has seen it last week, here it goes:

I saw the film yesterday (dubbed French version - I'm American but speak French fine - the original is in ENGLISH and watching the POORLY DUBBED lips not match was AWFUL, like watching an old Japanese Godzilla movie) in Lausanne, Switzerland at a speak-preview premiere with the lead actress, Linda Hardy, and director present. If it ever gets released in English the viewing experience will be much better. The trailers are much better than the film.

If you have not read the THREE comic books on which the movie was based do not even consider following what was going on. The sold out audience reaction was muted, at best. It was supposed to premiere at the Cannes 2003 Film festival but was not completed in time. Having said that, the visuals are interesting - the first time I have seen such things. Sort of a modernized Fritz Lang METROPOLIS.

Acting by Thomas Kretschmann was good, by Charlotte Rampling fair and by Linda Hardy poor. Linda Hardy did not look the "young" character that she was suppoed to portray. Even if Linda Hardy was Miss France way back in 1992 she is looking a bit old for the part of Jill Bioskop.

Due to the extremely limited audience that would go to this film (ESPECIALLY stateside) I would guess that it will not see the light of theaters in the USA other than in some film festivals. My best guess is that American audiences will have to get an European version DVD once they are released in a year or so.

NOT the film that it could / should have been!
Worth seeing for the mix of technologies.

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 12:44 AM

.....umm interesting concept of a select few and their ability to mate with gods, but really....too much was going on in the trailer for them to just drop that line in the end.

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 14, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by V:
Seems like Bilal's adaptation of his "La trilogie Nikopol". One of the best graphic novel if not THE best I have ever read (and I have read a lot!). Really amazing, the first tome is brillant in his content and visually delirious, magnifique. The form of two others is completely burst, strange, very compelling. Haven't read it? Run to the library! Now!
I hope it's in English because my French is real weak. If it is tell me the title and author and I'll read it.

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 14, 2004, 02:51 AM

Now that I see the trailer, it does look like The 5th Element. Big difference though, there's titties in the trailer...

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2004, 03:07 AM

So is this film in English or French?

"If it's broke, you choke."

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
So is this film in English or French?

Doesn't your computer have sound? I hear English. It is confusing though. I guess the guy's a displaced Yugoslavian living in France.

Enki Bilal was born in the former Yugoslavia but he moved early in his life to Paris, France. He has drawn a lot of sci-fi cartoons but the social critical tendencies are typical to all of his works. He has been in a very fruitful collaboration with the scenarist P.Christin. The album Froid �quateur is the third part of the Nikopol trilogy, and was chosen as "The book of the year" in France, the first cartoon book ever to achieve this honour. Bilal's style is very elaborate and visual, and the grave atmosphere is characteristic to all his works, especially the ones that directly criticize political systems.

and....

Enki Bilal, the son of a Czech mother and a Bosnian father, spent the first nine years of his life in Belgrade, where the ghost of World War II still haunted everyday life. The Bilal family moved to Paris in 1961, where Enki Bilal was drawn to comics and cinema. He started at Pilote in 1972, making illustrations, covers and short stories. Three years later, Bilal met writer Pierre Christin, with whom he created several comics by combining comic strips with photos, including 'L�gendes d'Aujourd'hui', 'La Croisi�re des Oubli�s' and 'Partie de Chasse'. In 1980 he began his award-winning 'Nikopol-trilogy'. Besides these comics activities, Enki Bilal started working in film, theater and opera. He created sets, costumes and posters for a theater play and worked on two feature films. Apart from these and other occupations, like photo retouching and glass painting, Bilal published 'Froid Equateur', 'Bleu Sang' and 'Le Sommeil du Monstre' in the 1990s.
Bilal's stories are set in a magically orientated but realistic future after the Yugoslavian civil wars, giving Bilal the perfect setting against which to illustrate his fears. He further reinforces his views by his dark and shadowy style of drawing, in which color features largely for evoking emotions. The result of Enki Bilal's efforts is a growing catalog of intense and atmospheric graphic novels.

powerbook867  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2004, 10:15 AM

I think it could be the same for this one.The story seems to focus on the second tome "La femme pi�ge" and he has change the story a lot. Anyway I just find a "review" from someone who has seen it last week, here it goes:

I saw the film yesterday (dubbed French version - I'm American but speak French fine - the original is in ENGLISH and watching the POORLY DUBBED lips not match was AWFUL, like watching an old Japanese Godzilla movie) in Lausanne, Switzerland at a speak-preview premiere with the lead actress, Linda Hardy, and director present. If it ever gets released in English the viewing experience will be much better. The trailers are much better than the film.

If you have not read the THREE comic books on which the movie was based do not even consider following what was going on. The sold out audience reaction was muted, at best. It was supposed to premiere at the Cannes 2003 Film festival but was not completed in time. Having said that, the visuals are interesting - the first time I have seen such things. Sort of a modernized Fritz Lang METROPOLIS.

Acting by Thomas Kretschmann was good, by Charlotte Rampling fair and by Linda Hardy poor. Linda Hardy did not look the "young" character that she was suppoed to portray. Even if Linda Hardy was Miss France way back in 1992 she is looking a bit old for the part of Jill Bioskop.

Due to the extremely limited audience that would go to this film (ESPECIALLY stateside) I would guess that it will not see the light of theaters in the USA other than in some film festivals. My best guess is that American audiences will have to get an European version DVD once they are released in a year or so.

NOT the film that it could / should have been!
Worth seeing for the mix of technologies.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review. Too bad if they don't release this in the US, but maybe netflix will have it or I can buy it as an import...I'm not sure how US audiences would respond to it, but I thinnk it said it's coming out in March.....
Joe

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 10:30 AM

I ****ing hate movie trailers that give huge plot points away like that. THe movie is visually hot enough that I'd go see it based on that. I don't want to know the whole f�cking story arc before I sit in the theater. ARGH!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 11:49 AM

Looks nifty! Will hafta scare up a dvd version when one comes available. Plot seems weak (well, really weak), but it looks like a cool movie to watch for the visuals. Not too familiar with Bilal, which strikes me as odd as I've been a comic bookly inclined for 30 years now. Never got into heavy metal/ metal hurlant ('cept a bit of moebius) very much tho, which is prolly where I missed the boat with Bilal...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Doesn't your computer have sound? I hear English. It is confusing though. I guess the guy's a displaced Yugoslavian living in France.
Well duh. The reason I am asking is because it is a french movie, with french titles on a french website and french subtitles so I was wondering if it was just DUBBED in English for the previews.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2004, 01:49 PM

Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Well duh. The reason I am asking is because it is a french movie, with french titles on a french website and french subtitles so I was wondering if it was just DUBBED in English for the previews.
Yes, they'd DUB it in ENGLISH for the FRENCH preview.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
Check out casshern:

http://www.apple.co.jp/quicktime/tra...ern_large.html
Cool!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2004, 03:35 PM

The CG imaging is almost as bad as Star Wars I and II...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2004, 03:38 PM

P.S. Most people will be more interested in this link...

http://immortel-lefilm.com/videos/

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 04:27 PM

Check out casshern:

That's totally cool! I wanna see more cool previews... everyone's seen the previews for that Space Captain movie haven't they? It looks kinda like these movies ...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...rldoftomorrow/

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
That's totally cool! I wanna see more cool previews... everyone's seen the previews for that Space Captain movie haven't they? It looks kinda like these movies ...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...rldoftomorrow/
If I were one of the people that animated "The Iron Giant" I would be pissed! Those robots look almost identical... but I'm sure the argument could also be make that the Iron Giant robot looks just like older robots...

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
It's not nearly as good as this trailer...
was i the only one that found Shrek to be really boring and not very funny?

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
That is what I thought of the first movie. also.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 09:55 PM

Check out casshern:

Is that working for everyone else? I can't connect. It just times out. Can't get to www.apple.co.jp either.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Is that working for everyone else? I can't connect. It just times out. Can't get to www.apple.co.jp either.
Works fine for me.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

James Christ
Banned
Mar 15, 2004, 02:15 AM

After 9-11 I dont think we'll ever see flying cars.

I was really looking forward to a flying BMW 3 series i.S.

hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2004, 03:11 AM

how about this?? The director takes 9 years to produce this movie... and i waited for 3 years......

http://www.steamboy.net/downloads/tr...arge04qt.shtml

17" widescreen LCD, 1GHz PowerPC G4,
1GB DDR266 SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA HD,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 64MB DDR video memory

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
I thought it was funny... once. It only had one dimention... Unlike Toy Story and Monsters Inc. where I could watch it a few times and get something out of it each time.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by hunkhuang:
how about this?? The director takes 9 years to produce this movie... and i waited for 3 years......

NINE YEARS!!!

Was that from the point where he said "I think I'm going to make a movie", or the time when he actually started working on it?

hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2004, 11:55 AM

NO... he started making movie since your parents were still dating each other though...

Seen "Memories" ?? his great job and famous around the world.

17" widescreen LCD, 1GHz PowerPC G4,
1GB DDR266 SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA HD,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 64MB DDR video memory

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2004, 12:32 PM

Check out casshern:

Cool, Kumiko Aso was in "Stereo Future" and "Red Shadow."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by hunkhuang:

Ohh yeah. Can't wait!

Here is another I can't wait for! The next Ghost in the Shell Movie....

http://www.innocence-movie.jp/index1.html

http://www.innocence-movie.jp/trailer/index.html

-Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; Mar 15, 2004 at 01:09 PM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2004, 12:52 PM

Check out casshern:

Holy crap. That looks awesome. Makes me finally want to get off my arse and attempt to learn Japanese.

Steamboy looks amazing, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules