Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead Power Adapter?

Dead Power Adapter?
ShaneHale7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 04:06 PM

My Firewire Clamshell iBook no longer will take power and power on. The LED in the power adapter plug no-longer lights up amber or green. The battery is dead so I can't even boot it up right now.

I don't know if they problem is in the power cable or the board's power unit.

Any advice on now to test one or the other? suggestions?

Shane Hale

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 07:46 PM

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 02:20 PM

Testing this requires either having a known good laptop or a known good power adapter.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ShaneHale7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Testing this requires either having a known good laptop or a known good power adapter.
I know the laptop is good. I don't know if the logic board's power manager is dead or the yo-yo adapter is dead.

Shane

geekstud
Mar 22, 2004, 12:33 AM

The power adapters for both the clamshell and dual USB iBooks have well-known design flaws that cause separation and/or crushing of the tip components, which breaks the adaptor. After going through several replacements (both covered by warranty and then paid for by myself), I purchased a very nice 3rd party unit ("DEER COMPUTER CO., LTD") on eBay for about $30 that looks much better designed and built and works great.

Cheers,

-Nathan

REZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 11:54 PM

Bring to an Apple store and ask to borrow an adapter to test. I'm on my third iBook adapter since 2001, my experience with these has not been good.
zoomzoomzoomzoomzoomzoom

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by geekstud:
The power adapters for both the clamshell and dual USB iBooks have well-known design flaws that cause separation and/or crushing of the tip components, which breaks the adaptor. After going through several replacements (both covered by warranty and then paid for by myself), I purchased a very nice 3rd party unit ("DEER COMPUTER CO., LTD") on eBay for about $30 that looks much better designed and built and works great.

Cheers,

-Nathan
Could you post the model number of the adaptor please? i tried searching on their site, but it's not very good

Forum Links
Forum Rules