Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > .avi/AC3 to avi/mp3...help!

.avi/AC3 to avi/mp3...help!
DAlex
Mar 24, 2004, 05:39 PM

Ok, here's the scene - My new shiney eyehome is all happy and working with my tv, getting movies e.t.c from my imac, but....a stack of my dvds that I ripped and converted to .avi play with no sound. I figured out that this is because I did the .avi conversion with AC3 sound instead of mp3 (Eyehome only supports AC3 if you are using the digital optical out...) and I've deleted the ripped dvd files to save some space.

Does anyone know of a way to re-encode the .avi and change the audio? Or will I have to bite the bullet and spend a few more hours re-ripping my dvds that I messed up....

(and before anyone shouts 'pirate!' at me, these are my own dvds so get off the soapbox)

Any ideas?

DAlex

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 05:48 PM

DivX Doctor II should be able to dump the raw AC3 audio to your HD, that you can then re-encode using mAC3dec. You'll need QT Pro to join the two tracks later. If that doesn't work you can try ffmpegX and encode with pass-through video. It's based on ffmpeg which reads most audio/video formats, so that should work.

DAlex  (op)
Mar 24, 2004, 05:50 PM

Wow! Thanks for the fast response. I'll give those ideas a go.

Cheers

DAlex

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 06:09 PM

if those methods don't tickle your fancy, you can also install the divx.com codec and the ac3 codec from www.insaneness.com, then use QTPro to export the audio to AAC.

DAlex  (op)
Mar 24, 2004, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying the ffmpegx app and in the tests so far it is perfect The video passthrough option works fine (it sticks a .mp3 on the end of the file name but by replacing it with .avi, voila! perfect .avi for my Eyehome (so far....). Time to drop some registration cash to the ffmpeg dev.

Only 14 dvds to do.......thankfully I spotted the problem before I'd done to many more.

Thanks again for your help.

DAlex

Forum Links
Forum Rules