Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best laptop for a writer

Best laptop for a writer
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2004, 08:12 PM

I'm a writer. Novel, screenplay, short stories and such.

I used WORD and FINAL DRAFT which work both on MAC and PC platforms.

I currenlty have an ibook g3 500.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple Desktop G5 for editing, but still having a laptop to do my writing on. So I can go to Barnes and Noble to write.

1) What is the best current Apple laptop to type on?

2) What is the best all time Apple laptop to type on that can run Final Draft 6.0/Word 2001.

3) Can anyone recommended any PC laptop that they think has a nice keyboard. Some of the DELL ones look nice and are much cheaper than apple. Only problem is I can't test them out in person.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 27, 2004, 09:20 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 01:18 AM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2004, 10:02 PM

For writing on the go, I think the 12" is an awesome writers tool. You could take it wherever you want without any problems. I'm currently writing a screenplay on my 12" and trying to do all of this on the 15" would be more hassle then anything else. No actual writers need a backlit keyboard, seeing that if you do indeed write you should be familiar with the keyboard already. Even the iBook is a good laptop for writing seeing how they dont get half as hot as the powerbooks, but the keyboard on the current line of powerbooks is just awesome. The 15" isnt a bad computer, but the size of it is just more of a problem for me to carry around. If you dont mind the added sized go for the 15" but for me the 12" is perfect for writing.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 11:25 PM

12" PB all the way. Maybe the 15", if you're not concerned about the extra weight.

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 11:55 PM

I do a lot of writing -- not screenplays, but all kinds of writing for various clients, plus some newspaper work.

I love my 12-inch. Frankly, most of the time I use my desktop. But it's nice to take the PB in certain situations, and it's very nicely sized for the odd trip to Barnes & Noble you mentioned.

That said, I haven't used a 15-inch. The 12-inch fit the price point I was looking for at the time and truly fits the bill. And I use Word some of the time (mostly still use AppleWorks) and it works just fine. any modern laptop is going to be able to run any of the various programs.

I echo the suggestion to go try them out, too.

Daytonaaaaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 02:07 AM

Although it's not on Apple's website anymore, in the introduction video that featured the 12" and 17" PowerBook, Aaron Sorkin, the executive producer and writer for the "West Wing", has a good praise of the 17" PowerBook. That's what he said in the video:
"Writing, when you are writing a movie or TV series, is a tremendous amount of rewriting. You really want to be able to see as much of a page as you can. A big screen like this is, is a lot of help. You are cutting and pasting...you are moving this speech to that scene...you are cutting this scene and moving to that episode...you doesn't feel the world is coming down around you anymore, you can kinda see the world in front of you."

For myself, I have a 15" AlBook. I am no writier myself, but in some ocassions I am able to squeeze two MS word windows on the same screen. I am sure a 17" can hold both windows with ease.

This maybe something you could find useful.

Daytona

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 28, 2004, 02:00 PM

I�m not a writer-but a few weeks ago I did an article for a professional journal and was glad to have the biggest screen available-especially when it came to selecting pictures for it.

I used three windows simultaneously-one showed an outline of the article, the other one helped me find my references-and the third window was used to actually write the thing.

So if size is not an issue the 17 is a good choice too. The palm rests are bigger than on the other models-very comfy!

And with Expose you are always in control over your windows anyway.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Dr.Michael
Mar 28, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:

1) What is the best current Apple laptop to type on?

2) What is the best all time Apple laptop to type on that can run Final Draft 6.0/Word 2001.

3) Can anyone recommended any PC laptop that they think has a nice keyboard. Some of the DELL ones look nice and are much cheaper than apple. Only problem is I can't test them out in person.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
From the iBook Blueberry, Powerbook Pismo, Powerbook G4 Titanium and Powerbook G4, 12 inch (the ones I know) the 12 inch has by far the best Keyboard - no question and no doubt.

The best overall keyboard on a notebook that I know has my Thinkpad T40. Its a real high quality notebook, everything perfect except the limited choice of operating systems.

I once had a Dell Latitude C 810. From this experience I must say never spend a cent for Dell. It was ridiculously bad considering ergonomics. The latest high tech thoughtlessly thrown into a box.

So, if you want the best notebook ever, I have to recommend Thinkpads. If you want the second best hardware with a premium operating system the 12 inch Powerbook is a good choice, especially if you know from your iBook experience that you can live with the small screen.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
From the iBook Blueberry, Powerbook Pismo, Powerbook G4 Titanium and Powerbook G4, 12 inch (the ones I know) the 12 inch has by far the best Keyboard - no question and no doubt.

The best overall keyboard on a notebook that I know has my Thinkpad T40. Its a real high quality notebook, everything perfect except the limited choice of operating systems.

I once had a Dell Latitude C 810. From this experience I must say never spend a cent for Dell. It was ridiculously bad considering ergonomics. The latest high tech thoughtlessly thrown into a box.

So, if you want the best notebook ever, I have to recommend Thinkpads. If you want the second best hardware with a premium operating system the 12 inch Powerbook is a good choice, especially if you know from your iBook experience that you can live with the small screen.
Good stuff from everybody, but I'md glad someone finally weighed in on the PC side of things.

I can't believe that believe buy a notebook without typing on it first. To me that is just crazy. how can you know if you will like it or not. Not to mention, sitting at a desk is different than standing up at the store and playing with it. I learned that when I borrowed a TI Powerbook from a friend and realized I didn't like the way the little nubs on the side hit my forearm.

It sounds stupid a little, but buying a laptop to me is like buying a car. YOu can't just see a picture and say, "Okay." They all feel different to everyone.

Some notebooks hurt my hand typing on them because the keys are way too small or not very well thought out for long term use.

I'm sure I'll stick with apple which does make the best overall laptops.

But I might try out that IBM.

Thanks again.

Cwriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 02:48 AM

I use a PB 15 aluminum. It sits as a desktop at work, but I unplug it and write at home on it and surf the net wirelessly.

I used to swear by the smaller screen of the ibook and was apprehensive about going to the larger size, but I'm quite at home on the 15"

Forum Links
Forum Rules