Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Urgent: Need Advice

Urgent: Need Advice
g4baker
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 10:14 PM

Someone has offered me a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz tower for my 800 MHz G4 iBook. Is the speed difference between the two going to be noticeable enough to do the trade--even though I will lose the portability?

ALL advice, suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Aaron
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 10:46 PM

I'll let others more knowledgeable comment on performance, but make sure its not one of the windtunnel g4 towers.

Some of the 1.25 dual towers are VERY noisy when the fans are running.

As to the trade, it depends on what you do with it. I have a 1.42 dual tower which I love which I use for most of my graphic design work.... but I use my ibook (typing this now on my ibook) for web surfing/email/chat and travel.

Its just a g3 500 mhz ibook but I'd hate to be without it....especially for travel...but also just because its so nice to sit back and watch t.v. and still be able to surf the web etc.

What moniter are you getting with the 1.25 tower? Keep in mind that old CRT moniters get fuzzy with age.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 11:57 PM

Dude, you dont get that kind of bizzare trade everyday, do it!

I have both machines (the tower is my dad's) right now, and its a worlds of a difference.

But...

Check and make sure the machine's in good running order. It may be over a year old and could be out of warranty. Make sure this person genuinely wants to give up power for portability, and isn't just leaving you wth a big lemon.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 01:06 AM

Thank you guys for the advice.

There's just something....I really love this iBook, i'm finding it so hard to let go to accept this deal. This is only the second new computer I've ever owned, all of the other 9 have been refurbs or used. And it just runs so well....and it's portable. I can probably get used to the lack of portability, I mean I only use it for surfing around the house. It's tricky because I love the desktop because it feels like it's a real computer, but it lacks portability. I love laptops too, but they don't have that "firm" computer feel. Feels like a secondary computer or something.

So, please help me. Any last minute advice before we make this official tomorrow night?

Thanks.
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by g4baker:
Thank you guys for the advice.

There's just something....I really love this iBook, i'm finding it so hard to let go to accept this deal. This is only the second new computer I've ever owned, all of the other 9 have been refurbs or used. And it just runs so well....and it's portable. I can probably get used to the lack of portability, I mean I only use it for surfing around the house. It's tricky because I love the desktop because it feels like it's a real computer, but it lacks portability. I love laptops too, but they don't have that "firm" computer feel. Feels like a secondary computer or something.

So, please help me. Any last minute advice before we make this official tomorrow night?

Thanks.
Again, what kind of monitor is he giving you with it?

kdixey
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 01:22 PM

I would ask myself...

Do you NEED a desktop Mac or the additional power that it will provide? Sometimes we all get caught up in having the latest and greatest box and we forget that it isn't the computer that matters but what we do with it.

What kind of setup best suits your needs? In my case I wouldn't trade a laptop for a desktop no matter how much more powerful it was because I don't have the room for it and I NEED something portable to get my work done.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 02:20 PM

The desktop he's offering would definitely be faster. But ask yourself if you're willing to deal with the peripheral problems of having a desktop--he might be offering you a CRT monitor instead of an LCD. It might be a model that is fairly noisy. You will lose your portability. On the other hand, it will be faster, and you will have many more upgrade/expansion options.

I, personally, would stick with the iBook because I need the portability. If you don't, then it might be a good trade. Look up specs and user reports about the desktop before you dive in, though.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 04:46 PM

Here's the other thing. I have a 12 inch Powerbook. and an older G4 desktop. The Powerbook is like an extension of my arm/body while the desktop doesn't have the same feel. I could live without my Desktop but not without my powerbook. It goes literally everywhere with me. If it was me I wouldn't do it. I would save my money up for a G5. Keep the iBook. Plus if you are having a hard time with the decision I would listen to what your heart is saying. If the iBook does everything you need it to then IMO I wouldn't make the trade though it is a VERY tempting trade to say the least. It also depends if the Desktop has a DVD burner. I know for me if I didn't have a Superdrive it would definitely make the decision harder for me. the things you can burn with a Superdrive.

The choice is ultimately yours. The Speed will probably be noticeable. You have to ask yourself do you want to give up the portability you have right now? Tough choice for sure. Like I said I could live without my Desktop but when I didn't have my Laptop I was going through withdrawal when I didn't have it with me when I was traveling or at work on on a Job that I was doing.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2004, 01:01 AM

In response to your 3/30/04 post, did you ever consider buying an external keyboard and monitor for those times you feel like using a "desk-top"? I unfortunately had to due to a severely blackened screen (due to my own stupidity, mind you, not an lcd issue) and I love it. When I can afford to get the screen replaced I can take my iBook wherever and easily hook it up to my monitor and keyboard. In all actuality I have a desk-top set-up. I was lucky, someone I knew had an extra monitor (hp pavilion mx70), and I had to buy the external keyboard and mouse (Logitech, about $35 for both). It sounds to me like you really love your iBook and may regret trading it in for what will be a permanent desk-top solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules