Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Is this kosher?

Is this kosher?
spatterson
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 09:04 PM

I will be starting up a small web design shop after leaving the military and wanted to know if it was kosher if I place both my business site and my personal site at the same address. You would choose which area at the intro page.

Any ideas???

Thanks

malson
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 09:10 PM

Look at it this way...I go to Google to do a search, not to find out what (who?) Google did last night.

Always keep business stuff and personal stuff separate.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 10:03 PM

Yes I would most certainly keep personal and business sites separate. It gives you a far more professional appearance, and helps potential customers to find the info they are after, quicker.

cowerd
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 11:25 PM

Not necessarily.

1976 design keeps blog and work at the same address. So does Bryan Bell. Todd Dominey's blog is at a different address, but makes it known that he has a business called Dominey Design in the blog. And its hard to separate any of Zeldman's work into neat compartments.

That said all those guys above can design. And they write about interesting things as well.

If you're going to link the two, you better make sure that neither work nor personal life embarrass you in any way whatsoever.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 12:29 AM

Thats good advice.. Thank you everyone! I am going to have to do some thinking. I like the idea of keeping everything at the same address. But cowerd has a point. Definatly keep all stuff that could embarass you out of the way.

And if I decide to blog again... well seperate sites for sure!

bens1901
Mar 31, 2004, 11:27 AM

If your Design Firm grows, then you want the site to represent a "company" and not an "individual." Therfore, I'd recommend that you keep personal stuff on a personal site, and your professional stuff stays on your company's site. Only my 2 cents :-)

-Q-
Apr 1, 2004, 03:00 PM

Just set up a subdomain with your personal stuff and keep the business stuff separate.

mafitzpatrick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2004, 06:35 PM

As -Q- says, subdomain or just under a /directory or if your host will allow it (nice people) multiple domains pointing at the same spot. You can do automatic redirects/different index pages depending on the host that the site is requested through.

All of these wont look any different than two seperate websites to a visitor, so if its web-hosting costs you're worried about it might be a good way to go. You can always link from one to the other at later date this way.

If you need more help with how to set this up, just ask
www.artifiction.com
media & arts space : galleries : discussion

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by mafitzpatrick:
As -Q- says, subdomain or just under a /directory or if your host will allow it (nice people) multiple domains pointing at the same spot. You can do automatic redirects/different index pages depending on the host that the site is requested through.

All of these wont look any different than two seperate websites to a visitor, so if its web-hosting costs you're worried about it might be a good way to go. You can always link from one to the other at later date this way.

If you need more help with how to set this up, just ask
I believe that a subdomain would be a very good soulution. I could buy another web domian and point it to the business side. Thanks for your imput, all of you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules