Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Start Up item that won't quit

Start Up item that won't quit
jxflyer
Apr 3, 2004, 07:55 PM

I've installed the "HP Director" software for my HP Scanner. After installing, it was listed in the Startup Items.

Despite clicking the " - " (minus) symbol to take it out of my StartUp items and it actually clearing from the list, it is once again in there if I restart or log out and login again.

I do not want it to startup until I need it. What can I do?
Chad Hinkson

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't...

iMac 2.0 GHZ Intel / 1.5 Gb
MacBook 2.0 Intel / 1.0 mb
OS 10.4

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 01:38 AM

I remember an issue like this one - go into the parent application's Preferences. If they were at all nice about it, there's an option in there to enable/disable the startup item.

BTW, is it so bad to have it start up? I mean, if it took an extra ten seconds to log in or presented an annoying window, I'd disable it myself. There are some programs, like Virex, that have start-on-login programs that are completely transparent. i believe the Virex headless program keeps an eye on programs in memory, and the scanner's one keeps a lookout for whether or not the scanner is connected or on. For instance, if your scanner has a one-touch scan feature, and you would care to use it, then this backghround program is a boon.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

xtian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 11:20 PM

I am experiencing the same problem with iChat Agent, and HP Communicator. The IChat agent has a preference to add the iChat menu item. I did uncheck this, but the app still is running. HP Director AIO has a preference to start and add it self to your dock at startup. I unchecked this but again the process viewer shows these two app running at startup.

Now with the terminal, there must be some way to remove these inits, but I have not yet found it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules