Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > color calibration

color calibration
mr. burns
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 04:15 PM

hey there,

i'm a graphic design major and it's pretty important that my older monitor be calibrated for accurate colors. whenever i use the color sync calibration tools, i get good color again, except for the fact that photoshop and certain jpegs become really weird looking and oversaturated. in photoshop, every image i open and all the color swatches are like this so it becomes completely useless. when i open the system prefs, some of the icons are this way as well. but when i go to the displays prefs and set the color profile to generic RGB, all these problems vanish, except for the fact that there's the natural red tint from age.

has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution? i can't stand using this generic profile. would using a colorimeter solve this problem maybe?

arg.

not all who wander are lost.

Lew
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 06:29 AM

Have you considered using SuperCal to calibrate your monitor? Apple's calibrator is a bit pants.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 09:24 AM

I don't know anything about color but you may want to try changing the RGB color profile in Photoshop to your custom one. I was getting annoyed when colors looked different in Photoshop than they did in Safari on webpages when I found out you can change this It's under the Photoshop menu. Color Settings.

intastella
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 10:54 AM

Actually I think you should keep the color settings how they are in the presets unless you know what you are doing. Pick either US Prepress for print work or Web graphics for web stuff. If you want to see it like you do in Safari or any other browser go to Viewroof Setup:Monitor RBG.

Also Supercal is great for getting better contrast out of your monitor, though it's confusing to set up.

If color is super important, get a hardware calibrator. They are about $250 and up.

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by lngtones:
I don't know anything about color but you may want to try changing the RGB color profile in Photoshop to your custom one. I was getting annoyed when colors looked different in Photoshop than they did in Safari on webpages when I found out you can change this It's under the Photoshop menu. Color Settings.
That's not a good thing to do if you are sending files to other people. If you are doing anything professionally with color files you really should read something like "Real World Color Management" by Bruce Fraser, et al. to get an understanding of how the various programs use color management.

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 02:34 PM

i want to keep photoshop in the adobe RGB color space because its gammut is better and the printers are set to it. even when i change photo shop to my calibrated profile it doesn't work.

i'll try out supercal.

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by mr. burns:
i want to keep photoshop in the adobe RGB color space because its gammut is better and the printers are set to it. even when i change photo shop to my calibrated profile it doesn't work.

i'll try out supercal.
For a lot of reasons that are really too complex to go into here, visual calibrators are of only very limited value compared to the sort of calibration and profiling that a colorimeter or spectrophotometer can do. Do you know anyone who has a calibrator you might borrow? Generally, displays that are older than 3 or 4 years old are generally on the verge of not being able to be calibrated anyway, so the age of your display may be the problem.

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Apr 29, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
For a lot of reasons that are really too complex to go into here, visual calibrators are of only very limited value compared to the sort of calibration and profiling that a colorimeter or spectrophotometer can do. Do you know anyone who has a calibrator you might borrow? Generally, displays that are older than 3 or 4 years old are generally on the verge of not being able to be calibrated anyway, so the age of your display may be the problem.
i've had the display as long as i've had this computer, which is almost 4 years. my photo professor has a colorimeter for the lab computers i'm going to try and borrow. from me describing my problem, not even he knows what's up and he's a mac user.

Forum Links
Forum Rules