Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > adding a separate display?

adding a separate display?
locke459
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2004, 01:26 AM

from what i gather, it seems that its possible to hook up a separate display to a powerbook and use both displays at once. is this how it works? if so, does it work like multiple display setups where the mouse will seamlessly move from one display to the next, and windows can be dragged from one display to the other? also, can any display work like this, or only apple displays?

locke459  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2004, 01:27 AM

sorry, this was supposed to go in powerbook forum, but i can't move it or delete it...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 2, 2004, 02:50 AM

Any display will work (in fact, Apple displays are the ones that will only work on some PowerBooks, and even then only with an adapter). You just connect it. On some PowerBooks, it'll detect it automatically, on the others, you just put it to sleep, connect it, and then wake it up. When it wakes, it will see the external display.

By default, it does desktop spanning, as you described, but you can also have it mirror if you like.

tooki

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2004, 08:51 PM

Once you plug in a display, the F7 key (has two boxes on it) changes how the external monitor is used. It will either span and add desktop space, or clone what is on the Powerbook.

With DVI Powerbooks, it should have came with an adaptor to hook any VGA monitor up as well, a DVI specific monitor is not mandatory.

Apple displays, ones with ADC connectors anyhow, need power provided from the computer. This is something the Powerbook can't do, thus you need an adaptor box that gives you a cable to plug into the Powerbook, and one into the wall for power to the monitor.

My Powerbook has spent most of its time attached to a second monitor because I find it really useful for getting work done. The Powerbook serves me as my primary machine.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules