Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any way to test iBook fan to see if working?

Any way to test iBook fan to see if working?
tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 08:24 PM

So, apparently, earlier today there were some electrical power problems in my neighborhood. Whatever happened, I came home to find my iBook (G3 800, 10.3.3) kernel panicked. When I restarted, no fan noise came on, although there was this odd little attenuated fan noise. I have been using it for about a couple of hours or so, and still no fan noise. Not sure if things are quite right here. Does anyone know of a way to test the fan in an iBook, i.e. a program or something that will deliberately turn on the fan to see if it's working or not?

Thanks,

Tyler

ghporter
Administrator
May 3, 2004, 10:03 PM

Don't let an odd occurrence make you hear (or fail to hear) things that aren't there. Symptoms of a too-hot processor include kernel panics, but they just happen at odd times, not consistently. They also include erratic behavior (memory doesn't do too well when it's hot), and odd error messages.

You can usually feel whether the fan is running (I seldom hear mine) by putting your hand near the vent at the center of the base, just at the bottom of the screen.

You can also feel better if you shell out about $20 and buy a good quality surge suppressor. I got a Tripplite mobile model for about that, and it's been taking care of my iBook ever since I got it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 11:48 PM

On my iBook, I've only heard the fan like, twice. I wonder if it still works as it's gotten quite hot recently but I haven't heard it�and for my model, I'd know it when it's running (it's very loud!).
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
May 4, 2004, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by tycheung:
So, apparently, earlier today there were some electrical power problems in my neighborhood. Whatever happened, I came home to find my iBook (G3 800, 10.3.3) kernel panicked. When I restarted, no fan noise came on, although there was this odd little attenuated fan noise. I have been using it for about a couple of hours or so, and still no fan noise. Not sure if things are quite right here. Does anyone know of a way to test the fan in an iBook, i.e. a program or something that will deliberately turn on the fan to see if it's working or not?

Thanks,

Tyler
You could download the distributed.net clientr and put the iBook on your bed or something that does not absorb the heat that well. If your fan works, it should come on after a while. If it doesn't, I'd imagine the computer will crash soon

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
� put the iBook on your bed or something that does not absorb the heat that well. If your fan works, it should come on after a while.�
That's exactly where mine was when I heard it. (And once not, but it was playing a DVD.) Play a DVD too; that'll help crank up the heat.

My iBook stopped responding to keystrokes and mouse clicks; failed to go to sleep; failed to induce the Force Quite dialog (and the screen was dark now, as I couldn't brighten it after the sleep attempt) � I wonder if it was suffering from the effects of heat stroke. (As hot as it is, and I haven't heard the fan?)
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

va3uxb
May 5, 2004, 08:58 AM

The apple hardware diagnostic CD that comes with the iBook includes a fan test. I was having some memory problems with mine so I ran the diagnostic CD and did the thorough test. The fan, when it comes on, is pretty noticable.

If you're worried about the ibook, I'd suggest running the diagnostic CD as a first step. It can take a while depending on how much RAM is in there, I think it took about 30 minutes in total for me with 640MB.

-Stephanie

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 04:06 PM

Good advice. Run the hardware test cd if you have it, and if not, run a distributed client like RC72, Seti@Home, Folding, or play a game like WC III. Recently, I've discovered that using Quicktime Pro to convert a DV file into MP4, is a sure way of getting the fan to come on.

Just for discussion, I think the iBook G4 has two fans. One you can barely hear and one you can't miss.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 07:18 PM

Install Windows under Virttual PC. The fan will definitely come on

finboy
May 7, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Install Windows under Virttual PC. The fan will definitely come on
Amen, brother.

mrweirdo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 06:43 PM

lol windows will for cause that and probably break something else in the proccess

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by va3uxb:
The apple hardware diagnostic CD that comes with the iBook includes a fan test.
Just an FYI for everyone: I just got one of the new G4 iBooks and wondered where my diagnostic CD was. After an extensive call with Apple support turns out the new DVD based install restore discs have the diagnostic tools as a partition on the first restore DVD. You have to start up with the option key held down to access the disk manager - THEN you can select the diagnostic tools partition and run the diagnostics.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by BobVB:
�the new DVD based install restore discs have the diagnostic tools as a partition on the first restore DVD. You have to start up with the option key held down to access the disk manager - THEN you can select the diagnostic tools partition and run the diagnostics.
That's good to know. Thanks for the FYI, BobVB.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 08:59 AM

Wow...multi partition startup DVDs...makes you want to create a multi OS bootable DVD huh? Linux, Mac OS X, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules