Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Writers appreciation thread, today: Tom Holt!

Writers appreciation thread, today: Tom Holt!
gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2004, 02:34 PM

A few months ago, on a whim - just because i liked the title -, i purchased The Portable Door by Tom Holt. It lay around the floor in my bedroom for a while until i had time to give it a try. That time came just a week ago. Damn, what a fun read he is! I'm not even halfway through the book, but i'm already certain that i need more books by this guy on my shelves. Yesterday i bought 'valhalla'.

More info i found here and my question for the forum is: Voice your opinion about him (but please only if you've read books by him) and tell me what you think are the must read books?
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 07:58 AM

Wow. I've never met another Tom Holt fan before.

I discovered Mr. Holt's book about 10 years ago, when I checked out a copy of Ye Gods! from my local library. It was very funny and I read all of his other books that were available. My favorities are Flying Dutch, Expecting Someone Taller, Who's Afraid of Beowulf?. Ye Gods! isn't as good as the others, but it is worth reading if you have some spare time.

Personally I didn't liked the Walled Orchard series. They weren't as funny as the other books. They were pretty realistic though.

I haven't read any of the newer books, I hope to get to them in the near future as Amazon has started carrying Mr. Holt's book once again.

--ranga

gerbnl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2004, 05:02 PM

Lol! And i already wondered... I knew there's not much culture in MacNN, but i expected at least some useful reactions...

Luckily in the end i was right, though i had to wait a bit...

I'm almost finished with the portable door. What an incredibly funny stuff this is. I'm definatly buying more of his books. Flying Dutch, Expecting Someone Taller and The Walled Orchard are on my shopping list, but i suspect i'll be buying anything i can get my hands on.

You'll be glad to have found out by now, that both amazon .com and .co.uk have a healthy stock of Tom Holt....
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2004, 12:15 PM

I'm glad that Amazon started carrying Tom Holt's book. Most of the books stores in the US don't carry any of his work, which is very disappointing.

I'm actually going to be in the UK next week so I'm looking forward to buying a few of his books while I'm in London. The ones I'm looking forward to getting are Grailblazers, Gjinn Rummy, Paint Your Dragon and Only Human.

If you liked Tom Holt, you might also like the Hitchhikers' Guide series by Douglas Adams and some of the books by Richard Armour.

--ranga

agentz
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 05:33 PM

Tom Holt rocks. I've read about a dozen of his books after my partner gave me a couple to read.

Very funny. Not usually the sort of thing I'd think of reading but I'm very happy I did. Finished Portable Door a few weeks ago - managed to whizz through it in a few hours.

Tom Holt =
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2004, 06:37 AM

I bought Portable Door last night and I'm already over a hundred pages into it. It is extremely funny (I liked the part about office intros, I've had the same experience). I have to be careful or I'll finish the book before my flight to london tonight and then I won't have anything to read on the airplane .

--ranga

Forum Links
Forum Rules