Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Safari icon unchangeable?

Safari icon unchangeable?
eDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 08:20 AM

I'm running the latest version of Panther (all the recent updates installed, etc.) and I just noticed that I don't seem to be able to change the Safari icon anymore! Have they tinkered w/ something or do I have something going funky w/ my setup?

Thanks!

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
May 21, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by eDave:
I'm running the latest version of Panther (all the recent updates installed, etc.) and I just noticed that I don't seem to be able to change the Safari icon anymore! Have they tinkered w/ something or do I have something going funky w/ my setup?

Thanks!
eDave,

Have you tried restarting after doing the *get info/copy/paste* thing? Once in awhile I'll get a stubborn icon that won't change and restarting works for me. (I'm not talking about the ones that need CandyBar to change icons.) I'm also using Panther 10.3.3.

Go ahead and apply the change to the icon you want, then restart. Then go back and check the application and see if the icon is now the way you want it to be.
JudieKaren

eDave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 02:57 PM

Yep, already tried all that. No joy! Any other ideas? I mean, I can always open the Safari package and drop my .icns files in there, but I shouldn't have to, darn it!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 03:01 PM

works fine down here with the get info copy and paste.
what happens if you get info and then choose the icon and press delete, to remove any icon it is using and then paste?

Acrimonium
May 21, 2004, 03:58 PM

Perhaps You should look at the permissions in the Get infos to see if You can write to it...
My 0.02 $

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 04:37 PM

same happens to me with the TermographX app. I can not select the icon to do the copy&paste action.

eDave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 04:48 PM

I'm the designated permission-holder, meaning I am supposed to be able to read & write (according to Get Info, at least).

If I Get Info for Safari & click on the icon, I can copy it but the cut option is ghosted, so there's no icon stuck there masking anything. In fact, the whole process works just like it should, except the icon never changes. Weird, no?

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 05:15 PM

dude make sure the app isnt runninng if u cant change it download it again

eDave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 11:39 PM

Der Komisar's got it! Downloaded & reinstalled the app and now all is right with the world. Thanks a million K, and thanks to everyone else who suggested ideas too.

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 11:09 AM

No problem ive had the same problems before.. if that persist with another application a, make sure it aint runnning and b, just reinstall it

Forum Links
Forum Rules