Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Im a Windows user on the edge... help!

Im a Windows user on the edge... help!
Phrixus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 08:12 AM

Hi all,

Having spent many hours browsing, this is my first post in these forums!! I could use some help and info.

Here is the situation:
I have a number of PC's running Linux, Win2K and WinXP. Most of the hardware is relatively up to date and they get used for web design, file storage and recording television when I am at work. I generally spend most of my time on the net working on personal projects, video editing and working in photoshop.

Here is the problem:
Now that I am getting old (23), I am getting really fed-up sitting next to a jet liner... I need my peace and quiet! I think I have fallen in love with the Powerbooks, just how gorgeous are they!?! And I would like to be able to do more writing, digital photography and web design on the road (my current laptop's battery is dead!)!

My idea:
I am going to move all of my PC hardware out of my room and buy a 15" Powerbook (1G RAM/128MB Graphics/ 5400 HD) and also a 23" HP monitor which I plan to mount on the wall. I am also considering one of those iCurve bases to help the styling and cooling!

My question:
Do I have a good idea?
Is there any performance difference between the 15" and 17" Powerbooks?
Will I be able to do everything I could on a PC and will it be vitually silent??
I play UT2004 a lot... will the Powerbook cope and how good can I expect the graphics to be on the 23" monitor?

Any other advice or suggestions will be welcome as I am only starting to learn about Apple computers. This is the final barrier before I take the plunge and switch platforms!!!
( Last edited by Phrixus; May 25, 2004 at 08:33 AM. )

markclausing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 09:16 AM

I just bought the very same laptop configuration. It works rather splendidly. I don't know about UT2004 though, as I play it on my windows desktop. I say, just keep your old PC just somewhere hidden beneath the desk to play a game so now and then. The powerbook is for serious stuff
http://www.prinshendrikkade.com
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 2Gb 100Gb 256Mb

Riddler
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 09:25 AM

First off : GOOD IDEA

You should be able to do everything on a PowerBook that you currently do on your PC hardware, your only consideration should be "speed". There's no difference in performance between the 15" and 17", it's just a matter of size.

As with the majority of laptops from all manufacturers gaming performance is some what below desktops. The Radeon Mobility 9700 in the PowerBooks is pretty much cutting edge in terms of mobile GPU's but your going to struggle pumping out UT2004 at high resolutions on a 23" screen, best have a look at Barefeats.com, there are some good benchmarks there.

As for silence, well the PowerBook 15/17 both have 2 fans that run when the book gets hot so don't expect total silence but yeah it should be alot quieter than the average PC.

My PowerBook has just shipped from China, will be my first PowerBook since selling my Pismo a year ago, it may replace my desktop too, just depends on performance.

Cheers
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

amazing
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 10:40 AM

You should consult barefeats.com because they do a lot of speed tests of the G5 vs the laptops, with all sorts of software including gaming software.

Another source of info on UT2004 is xlr8yourmac.com, you should browse that site also because there's a ton in info there that should influence your decision.

For example, barefeats.com has speed tests on FCP and it'll be up to you to determine whether the incredible speed advantage of the G5 is more important than portability.

If you decide for the G5, I'd recommend waiting until WWDC in June before buying.

I suppose you know that the laptop won't replace all of your computers, and it's not especially suitable for use as a server?

Phrixus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't want to replace them all as such... I just want to move all the servers to a closet somewhere and be able to do the important things on one computer that runs silently... the laptop.

As it stands I do not know a lot about Apple computers but I am eager to learn and would probably switch on looks alone... that is the feature that first attracted me after all!!

If I was to get the Powerbook, I would have everything I needed initially... then if I become a true convert (As most people seem to), then I could look into a G5 tower. If I decide that OS X is not for me... I could return to WinTel and have a really nice laptop on my desk! I think the latter will be unlikely as it seems the members of this forum will always be around to help a newbie!!!

I am going to look at the sites mentioned earlier!!

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 12:11 PM

I made the switch about 8 months ago and I never looked back. I am a professional software developer. I don't play computer games, so I cannot comment on that.

JCT
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 03:50 PM

Another "unplanned" switcher here. Six months ago I configured an iBook at work, fell hard for the OS and bought myself a 12" Powerbook.

One of my best computer purchases ever ...and I'm a die-hard 20-year PC user, build my own machines and maintain several networks.

My current plan is very similar to yours, Phrixus. I gave my 12" PB to my husband, just took delivery of a loaded 17" PB and will try to use it as my do-everything machine (currently starting to take it back and forth from work). Ultimate plan is to buy a dual G5 after the next refresh later this year.

And my PCs? Still to be used for games!

Enjoy,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Phrixus:

My question:
Do I have a good idea?
Is there any performance difference between the 15" and 17" Powerbooks?
Will I be able to do everything I could on a PC and will it be vitually silent??
I play UT2004 a lot... will the Powerbook cope and how good can I expect the graphics to be on the 23" monitor?

Any other advice or suggestions will be welcome as I am only starting to learn about Apple computers. This is the final barrier before I take the plunge and switch platforms!!! [/B]
You might want to check out the new MacWorld article by following this link, comparing G4 PowerBooks

Oh, and I'll spank you if you ever say "I'm getting old", at the age of 23.

Phrixus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the great advice... I can see an expensive month coming up!! I think my first port of call is eBay to try and sell some junk.. sorry... high quality goods to raise some cash... then let my credit card do the rest!!!

And Musti... great link... I did wonder what kind of site it would be after your last comment!!!

Did any of you hardcore PC users ever have any problems finding software that you needed!? One of the (mis)conceptions I 'had' was that it was difficult to find things as there was not as much available... I am finding a whole new world though, and its exciting!!

paully dub
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 07:41 PM

Depends on what your looking for. If you're an Architect there's no AutoCad, but there's other stuff. And I've heard grief from real estate agents. But Office for the Mac is good, and all your graphics/web/video ect apps are top notch.

But there's loads of fine applications out there. And the shareware/freeware apps are really quite good. Check out the software forum - there's a couple must-have lists.

Adopt-A-Yankee

meatyocre
May 25, 2004, 10:34 PM

Apart from the sheer beauty of the PowerBooks, I would suggest making the switch due to the time saved using Apples great operating system OS X. I have countless peers thinking about switching.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 10:40 PM

I switched towards the end of '03, and haven't looked back. I love my 12" powerbook (rev b), it's fantastic.

I bought an iCurve recently for it, and I can highly recommend those too

meatyocre: I think sigs here are meant to be no larger than 140x40 pixels .
12" Rev B PB

Forum Links
Forum Rules