Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is 32 Megs Video ram enough for iMovie-based editing?

Is 32 Megs Video ram enough for iMovie-based editing?
Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 11:23 PM

Hi all. I am helping a friend (prior boss) and his wife decide on which portable to purchase (new switchers). She will be doing some video (interviews, something along the lines of the Shoa project). After a visit to our local Apple store, they are more inclined to get a tricked-out iBook with SD. My question is about the video ram...is the 32 Megs enough for what she'll be doing? Does anyone have experience using iMovie extensively on a new (1.2 Gig) iBook? She really doesn't need cutting edge speed in iMovie, but will the halved video ram (compared to the Powerbook) make any really difference?

Thanks in advance...

Thorts in Seattle

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 01:37 AM

Video editing is not really VRAM dependent. More important are probably hard disk capacities and speeds, and CPU, bus, and memory speeds. I'd look more at those than at the video card or VRAM.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2004, 01:38 AM

I've used iMovie on an iBook with 8MB of video memory without Quartz Extreme acceleration. Speed was okay, but I believe having more processor speed and memory would be more influencial here (as well as a faster drive (with more space!) up to a point, but that's a limit in portables).

I felt that the speed was acceptable (although transitions did take a bit of time).
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Thorts  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the help! I think that helps them decide in favor of the 14" iBook. They will be getting the extra RAM and an external fast hard drive, so they should be set.

Thorts

Forum Links
Forum Rules