Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > San Diego trip

San Diego trip
t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 11:07 AM

With some friends of mine we are planning on visiting San Diego for a weekend. Since none of have been there yet, I would like to ask you for some help in trying to figure out where to go and what to do and see.

The majority of the people going are still in college, so we are on a tight budget... but we still want to make sure we end up in the right part of town. Which parts of SD are fun? We would definitely like to go somewhere close to the ocean and enjoy the beach...it would actually be nice to find a hotel around there. It does not have to be anything special, but I want to make sure that I can park the car around there. :-)

What are the places where the college crown likes to go? What kind of things are there to do?

Thanks,

t

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 11:15 AM

If any interest at all, I would definitely check out one of the worlds greatest Zoo's while in town...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 11:16 AM

Seaport Village is cool. Check out the Hotel del Coronado too. It's right on the ocean.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by t_hah:
we are on a tight budget...
...it would actually be nice to find a hotel around there.
Tight budgets and hotels don't mix. I think it's more fun to either A)sleep in the car or B)try to hook up with some girls and stay with them. It won't tie you down to one place, so you can go wherever the hell you want. Me and my friend did this over spring break in Miami. If you plan it right, you can stay up all night then sleep on the beach. Most cities have a YMCA with showers and such so you're not a total dirtbag.

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
With some friends of mine we are planning on visiting San Diego for a weekend. Since none of have been there yet, I would like to ask you for some help in trying to figure out where to go and what to do and see.

The majority of the people going are still in college, so we are on a tight budget... but we still want to make sure we end up in the right part of town. Which parts of SD are fun? We would definitely like to go somewhere close to the ocean and enjoy the beach...it would actually be nice to find a hotel around there. It does not have to be anything special, but I want to make sure that I can park the car around there. :-)

What are the places where the college crown likes to go? What kind of things are there to do?

Thanks,

t
As a resident of San Diego, I don't see the tourist appeal of this city, at least in the areas most people seem to equate with San Diego. The beaches everyone seems to tout so highly are green and polluted and Coronado and La Jolla are towns that have always struck me as being high on style and low on substance, with the exception of the area around UCSD.

All that pissing and shitting aside, Balboa Park is a real nice cultural bazaar, and is right next to the zoo. The Point Loma lighthouse is also a good spot - you get a real good view of the smog layer encompassing the city. Tijuana is also trolley ride away from downtown. I would highly recommend a visit while you're here. On your way down there though, I would get off at Barrio Logan and visit the murals at Chicano Park, which I believe is considered the largest outdoor art museum in the world. Chicano Park is sadly overlooked in this city's ignorant tourist itinerary, and mostly attracts Europeans who studied its history beforehand. Either way, it would be a very proper precursor to TJ.

teaforone
Jun 2, 2004, 12:07 AM

Eat at the Chinese restaurant in Horton Plaza (Panda something or other?). It's great.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by teaforone:
Eat at the Chinese restaurant in Horton Plaza (Panda something or other?). It's great.
Panda Inn

teaforone
Jun 2, 2004, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Panda Inn
Yeah, that's the one. They have kick-ass food.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 12:21 AM

Don't freakin jaywalk while you're there. Especially around the gas light area. They take that crap seriously. And be prepared to be carded EVERYWHERE you go if you're a lush. Doesn't matter how much grey hair you have.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Forum Links
Forum Rules