Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Linksys Wireless-G Setup Instructions Please

Linksys Wireless-G Setup Instructions Please
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 1, 2004, 03:47 PM

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to setup a Linksuck Wireless-G Boradband Router? For some reason the router address http://192.168.1.1/ just doesn't work anymore...it worked once, and I thought everything was setup correctly...but it wasn't apparently so I tried going back into the web setup screen, but nothing's happening now.

I unplugged everything and went through the Linkshit configuration guide again and again but http://192.168.1.1/ just isn't coming up.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
Jun 1, 2004, 09:48 PM

Forget it you no good bums. I've figured it out by myself.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 10:24 PM

Your welcome for nothing. I would've tried to help but I didn't see your post until your second post for some reason, sorry.

By the way my old linksy router did the same. I would login change a few things and log off then I would try to log back in and it wouldn't work. Just had to wait a while before loging back in, at least that's what I did. My Netgear doesn't have this problem.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Alfonso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 11:11 PM

I have a Linksys 2.4 Ghz Wireless Access Point Router, 802.11b with 4 port switch.
Model: BEFW11S4.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to configure it wirelessly to my powerbook G4 ?

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Alfonso:
I have a Linksys 2.4 Ghz Wireless Access Point Router, 802.11b with 4 port switch.
Model: BEFW11S4.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to configure it wirelessly to my powerbook G4 ?
1. Hook up your Powerbook with a ethernet cable.
2. Login to the router in any web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
3. Leave the usernam empty and put admin in as password.
4. Under Wireless choose Enable
5. You should change the SSID from the default Linksys name for security reasons. You may also want to change the username/password to login to the router. If you do make sure you write it down so you'll remember it.

If you want security while using the wireless function of your router do these steps:

1. From the setup tab select Mandatory under the WEP section.
2. Press the WEP setting button to set the WEP preferences. You can choose with 64 or 128 bit encryption. The higher the more secure your wireless network will be.
3. Cilck OK
4. Make a passphrase by clickin the the passphrase field and typing the password you want to use.
5. Click Generate. Write down the generated key or copy so you can paste it later.

Now on your PowerBook open Internet Connect in your Applications folder. Choose Airport. Click on the drop down menu next to Network and choose your wireless network's name. You should then be asked for the password. Leave it on WEP password and put a dollar sign ($) in as the first character in the password. Now you should be online wirelessly.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 2, 2004, 04:10 AM

ALL networking topics belong in the Networking forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules