Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W Mac quesiton

B&W Mac quesiton
scriabinop23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 02:09 AM

Quick question or two:

1) any recommendations on a newer video card for a B&W 350 G3 that is cheap? I'm willing to take a PCI vid card for PC's and patch firmware if necessary to save some money. OS X would probably like something better than an ATI Rage 16.

2) Any recommendations for PCI IDE controller for this box? Rev 1 motherboards have IDE controller problems with corruption and no slave drive support. I wouldn't mind correcting this.

3) Can I throw any IDE DVD drive on this box? or does it require Apple firmware support somehow? [i doubt it, just checking. i haven't received my G3 yet. coming in a few days]
( Last edited by scriabinop23; May 31, 2004 at 02:16 AM. )
[email protected]
PS User in the need of OS X...

DrBoar
Senior User
May 31, 2004, 03:34 AM

1. ATI 7000 get a PCI 32 MB DDR version for 30 dollars or so, PC flashing instructions is around. Radeon or not it is stilll a PCI card so some of the functionlity on X has to be hacked.

2.Get the cheapest IDE card they sell at OWC.

3. www.xlr8yourmac.com has plenty of info on CD DVD drives working with the mac.

4. At the same place you can find info on how to overclock your B&W using jumpers from discarded IDE or SCSI drives. You are very likely to reach 400 MHz and might even get to 450 MHz

scriabinop23  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 11:47 AM

thanks for the info. I was already familiar with the overclock via jumpers -- and i look forward to attempting it. 450 out of this machine would be nice.

For video, do any Nvidia PCI cards work fine as well? the radeon 7000 is still a relatively slow card.
[email protected]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 31, 2004, 02:02 PM

No, nVidia never released any PCI cards for the Mac, so there are no drivers for them.

An ATI Radeon 7000 is a nice card. But without Quartz Extreme support, it won't help everyday stuff much. (Yes, there is a hack. But PCI's limitations negate the speed increases.)

tooki

drHo
May 31, 2004, 02:18 PM

well the best OFFICIAL PCI card that ever came out for the MAC was the Original Radeon mac edition. NOT the 7000. but good luck finding one for cheap. I flashed a Xtasy Radeon 9100 64MB PCI and use it on my B&W. works great! expose is smooth, i can run games like RTCW with all settings high. not bad for $53
" pc's feel cheap like a dirty whore..."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2004, 03:13 PM

From first hand experience, I have to say that the Radeon 7000 is not worthy of the Radeon name. It performs somewhere in between a Rage 128 and a 7200.

I also disagree that PCI speed limitations negate the speed increase brought with the PCI Extreme hack. The video PCI slot in the B&W Power Mac G3s offers more than enough bandwidth to carry out Quartz Extreme functions. Most tests I have seen show that the 66MHz video PCI slot in the B&W offers nearly as much throughput as the 2x AGP slots in later Power Macs.

I used a Radeon 7000 in my 900MHz G3 upgraded B&W Power Mac and later replaced it with a Radeon Mac Edition, and both cards brought very obvious speed gains system wide when PCI Extreme was enabled, especially to the Finder.
( Last edited by Lateralus; May 31, 2004 at 03:20 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

scriabinop23  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by drHo:
well the best OFFICIAL PCI card that ever came out for the MAC was the Original Radeon mac edition. NOT the 7000. but good luck finding one for cheap. I flashed a Xtasy Radeon 9100 64MB PCI and use it on my B&W. works great! expose is smooth, i can run games like RTCW with all settings high. not bad for $53
about the radeon 9100 patching - this sounds like a great idea.
where can I get the firmware necessary to patch this? do you use 8500 firmware or 9100? private message me if necessary.

let me also ask, did you enable quartz extreme or not? is there any choppiness of the dock bar when enabled with the 9100?
( Last edited by scriabinop23; May 31, 2004 at 06:04 PM. )
[email protected]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 05:05 AM

Well, I have a B&W 350 G3 with the Radeon 7000 and the QE hack is worth.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 03:46 PM

I would love to get a B&W off ebay to use as a backup machine, server, bittorrent machine, etc. Don't give it up! Keep that B&W running for a few more years, it's the best powermac I think Apple ever made for its time.

asidrane
Jun 2, 2004, 03:20 PM

I have a rev 2 B&w with the mac radeon. I have found the quartz extreme hack to be less than helpful. bogged down my system, may have even resulted in a crash. Could have just been my configuration. Sadly, my B&w gets very little use these days as I now have a G5. The machine basically acts as my PC via virtual pc

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 10:14 AM

I "switched" back to Mac (had an LC back in '90) from PC with the intro of the B&W G3 400 in Jan '99 - ordered it the day it was announced @ MWSF. (About to do the same with a new G5 @ WWDC.)

Anyway, the B&W I no longer have but it has a special place in my heart. As such, I grabbed and framed this great poster. Just thought I'd mention.

blakespot
( Last edited by blakespot; Jun 3, 2004 at 12:59 PM. )
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Dr.Michael
Jun 8, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by scriabinop23:
Quick question or two:

2) Any recommendations for PCI IDE controller for this box? Rev 1 motherboards have IDE controller problems with corruption and no slave drive support. I wouldn't mind correcting this.
I use a acard ide controller (www.acard.com). Works well with a 80GB Maxtor drive.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
I would love to get a B&W off ebay to use as a backup machine, server, bittorrent machine, etc. Don't give it up! Keep that B&W running for a few more years, it's the best powermac I think Apple ever made for its time.
actually I think that the apple III was. But If you mean PowerMac as in Power PC, Or Macintosh then definately

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 10:03 AM

Ummmm....

The Apple III was not a Mac. The PowerMac line was released in 1994, long after the Apple III was killed off due to massive failures caused by design flaws.

But you're probably just a troll, in which case I apologize to the forum for feeding it...

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Ummmm....

The Apple III was not a Mac. The PowerMac line was released in 1994, long after the Apple III was killed off due to massive failures caused by design flaws.

But you're probably just a troll, in which case I apologize to the forum for feeding it...
I know that I just said the apple III was apples best for the day thats why I said If You mean Power Mac as In Macintosh Or power PC If You mean a mac then the Blue and White is the best

and I was considering Power relative to the Pc world

Forum Links
Forum Rules