Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What to do in Madrid?

What to do in Madrid?
memento
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 07:11 PM

I have to go to Madrid for business Having never been there, are there any things that I can do by myself that don't take much time? I'll have a few hours to myself when I get there next tuesday and again right before I leave on saturday.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 07:41 PM

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 07:42 PM

Masturbate while listening to flamenco tunes, naturally.
I, ASIMO.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 09:07 PM

When in Madrid, do as the Madrid...ians..people?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 09:08 PM

You could visit the site where the terrorists achieved victory over Spain. I think that was in Madrid.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Masturbate while listening to flamenco tunes, naturally.
well that kills 30 min, then what?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 09:47 PM

If you have a few hours only you could take the MadridVision sight-seeing busses. And then eat churros at the plaza mayor or whatever.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
You could visit the site where the terrorists achieved victory over Spain. I think that was in Madrid.
It was in Madrid (and your post was very well worded). One of the Engineers that I would have been seeing on my trip was killed by them. Very sad.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 10:10 PM

Memento, I am very sorry to hear that.

Chris

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 10:22 PM

Go salsa dancing at night and try to sleep with Spanish women.

edit: also sorry to hear that. *Changed my mind from above.* How about 'Kill Terrorists?'

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 10:44 PM

Salsa dancing? not quite my thing. Plus I will only have free time when I said. Not every night. We'll have meetings all day and then do the dinner thing with a bunch of people until late.

I didn't get a chance to get to know the engineer well, but everyone that did was very upset, so I know he was a nice person (and that's more important in the grande scheme than being a good engineer)

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2004, 11:15 PM

Go to a Paellera and eat some paella - See a bullfight.

( Last edited by ghost_flash; Jun 4, 2004 at 11:23 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by memento:
Salsa dancing? not quite my thing. Plus I will only have free time when I said. Not every night. We'll have meetings all day and then do the dinner thing with a bunch of people until late.

I didn't get a chance to get to know the engineer well, but everyone that did was very upset, so I know he was a nice person (and that's more important in the grande scheme than being a good engineer)
I'm sorry to hear that one of engineers was killed. What a horrible tragedy.

The civilized world needs to resist it at every corner.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
Funny.. I'm in Spain now and gosh darn golly there ain't no sign of any terrorists.

Wait a minute.. how did you come to that conclusion? Maybe you're confusing Spain with some other European country?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 06:37 AM

(and your post was very well worded
????����

Err no. His post was very open ended and frankly ignorant.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 06:39 AM

I have to go to Madrid for business Having never been there, are there any things that I can do by myself that don't take much time? I'll have a few hours to myself when I get there next tuesday and again right before I leave on saturday.
Why the sour face of going to Madrid? No reason to. This is the corazon de Castillo - the heart of old Spain. There are a million things to do there if you want to entertain yourself.

Also don't be shy with people, talk and mingle. Be open minded as well. This isn't Arkansas or anything.

zen jihad
Jun 5, 2004, 08:05 AM

Walk around, eat out, and have a blast. Just take in the sights and like voodoo said, chat to people.

Have a good one, Madrid is lovely.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2004, 08:07 AM

The women, of course.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2004, 08:19 AM

Yah, there is nothing like soaking up the local events. Ask the people you are staying with what you should go visit, ask the people at the hotel, ask the person at the restaurant where you should visit...

You may sound like a broken record, but I'm always amazed at what answers people give out when visiting DC. Some that I would never think of.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Why the sour face of going to Madrid? No reason to. This is the corazon de Castillo - the heart of old Spain. There are a million things to do there if you want to entertain yourself.

Also don't be shy with people, talk and mingle. Be open minded as well. This isn't Arkansas or anything.
The is because I have to go for business. Which means I can't take my wife or even go with people that I actually like. My days will be 14 hours long and I'll get back to my hotel room with a splitting headache from the stress and trying to pretend that I like these people who are my "customers". I hate this kind of BS. In fact I'm looking hard for a new job because of it.

Point well taken about talking to people. I understand that they are much more open and friendly in cities like Madrid. I plan on taking my camera, too. The city must be beautiful at night.

Forum Links
Forum Rules