Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > PC v. Mac XML Compatibiliy?!?

PC v. Mac XML Compatibiliy?!?
ShaneHale7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 09:49 PM

I'm an avid Macintosh user, and have been for 15+ years, but I ran into a odd snag.

Recently I was working on my portfolio creating a website around it. To simplify things I was going to utilize XML to keep the updating pretty simple. There is a small javascript which allows me to cycle through the xml records with buttons. I have been messing with the code for a while and finally got it to work, while I was on a break during my day job, where i am forced to use a PC. I figured, no problem, till i got home and tried to load it on my G4.

I posted it to the web thinking there may be an issue with viewing it locally, and still no go. Double checked it with my home PC and it loads just fine.

The html file is here: http://acbcpowdercoating.com/test/illustrations.html
The XML file is here http://acbcpowdercoating.com/test/illustrations.xml

Any advise?

Shane

skalie
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 05:07 AM

Can't really help, but I can duplicate the problem.

Works fine on PC, not on MacOSX 10.1, IE5.1 or Mozilla.

.......I'm thinking maybe the browser isn't reading the JavaScript for some reason?

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2004, 06:31 AM

Well, that's an IE/Win only thing, hence why you can't see it on your mac. You won't be able to see it on Moz for Win either, I would imagine.

You're using an XML data island, which can work with Moz, but it's not as easy as with IE/Win (look at the whole recordset part of the code - recordset is something used all over MS things (VB etc), so this won't be a standard, I'd imagine, hence why it isn't being used in any other browser).

You could do what you want with XSLT or even some XML DOM parsing, but it won't be as simple as the way MS has provided in it's data island method.

Oh, btw, if you want to get data islands working in IE6 and Moz, see here
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules