Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Earthlink DSL

Earthlink DSL
Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 01:03 AM

Hi all,

I wanna upgrade to earthlink DSL and I was wondering what everyone thought of it? Is there any hardware I need to get? How does it work? I've tried dslreports.com and the other websites, but they don't really tell the basics of how it works and all...no simple answers for simple questions...

any help?

matt

neon_duke
Jun 9, 2004, 10:45 AM

I'll let you know in a couple weeks. They're currently conditioning my phone line to upgrade from dialup to DSL, then they have to send my modem. I'd rather have gone cable, but it's still too expensive here.

From my discussion with the Earthlink sales droid, and from a customer service droid I called later to confirm, you shouldn't need additional equipment if you have a single computer or an already-functioning network.

I have a combined ethernet/airport network that is up and running now, sharing the dialup modem in the AEBS. According to the Earhtlink droids, the DSL modem just plugs in between the AEBS and the wall jack, and that's it.

Of course, telling them I already had a functioning network didn't stop them from trying to rent me one for $10 a month.

When I get it going I'll post back here.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 10:50 AM

They give you the modem for it. It basically runs internet access through your phone lines. They gave me a jack with a DSL and phone line outlet on it, other than that, it was pretty much just turn it on and go..

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 05:43 PM

DSL is better than cable.

i haven't tried Earthlink, but have been using Verizon 1.5 Mbps for 2 years and it's been great.

upstream on Cable is awful.

now that Earthlink is going 3 Mbps, i plan to switch to them when we move.

neon_duke
Jun 10, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:

i haven't tried Earthlink, but have been using Verizon 1.5 Mbps for 2 years and it's been great.

now that Earthlink is going 3 Mbps, i plan to switch to them when we move.
I was under the impression that upstream on cable was better...?

I got my hardware in the mail last night, but they still haven't gotten my line conditioned yet for some reason. I hope there's no problem with it. We have a modem line provided by my wife's company, and this is the one on which they said we could get DSL. It's apparently not available on our older voice line.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 11:03 AM

I had Earthlink DSL in college and have SBC now. Earthlink was okay, but it cost more and definitely wasn't as fast for me as SBC is, though I have been pretty close to a central office at both locations.

Max8319  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 02:38 PM

thanks for the replies!

so basically, i have a phone line. earthlink will send me a splitter to plug into the phone jack that will give me a plug for an ethernet cable and a phone line. is this splitter/modem free or do i have to rent or pay for it? and that's it???!

thanks

matt

neon_duke
Jun 10, 2004, 03:15 PM

Yeah, I just got my equipment package last night. It had:

1) Netopia aDSL modem with power supply

2) Cat 5 ethernet cable (yellow)

3) heavy guage phone cord (purple)

4) Phone jack splitter with two outlets, phone and DSL

5) A couple of pigtail connectors of no immediate relevance, but that look to fit either ethernet or phone cord.

This is provided free with the service (one time $19.95 s/h charge, and it's yours to keep), no monthly equipment rental unless you rent networking hardware from them for $10/month (which is not necessary if you have your own network).
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

-Q-
Jun 11, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:

Wow, that's so incorrect for Atlanta. Cable is far and away the better service here.

3 MB/s-256kb up. Haven't had a service problem once. And b/c I have a cable broadband connection, I signed up for vonage and eliminated my phone completely. Can't do that with DSL.

That being said, I had Earthlink DSL when I first moved here and it was rock solid for 3 years. One major service outage due to squirrels chewing on my phone line, but otherwise great. I have heard some nightmare's about BellSouth, but no personal experience.

-Q-
Jun 11, 2004, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Max8319:
thanks for the replies!

so basically, i have a phone line. earthlink will send me a splitter to plug into the phone jack that will give me a plug for an ethernet cable and a phone line. is this splitter/modem free or do i have to rent or pay for it? and that's it???!

They should be free. What the splitter does is serve as a filter for your phone line. If you didn't use it, you'd hear a lot of static (which is actually the DSL data being transmitted on your phone line) when you tried to use your phone.

Heck, if they try and charge you for it, PM me. I have a ton of those things I won't be using any longer. I'll send them to you.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2004, 10:55 AM

The speed you get with any particular connection is dependent on your own particular location, wiring condition, etc.

Some cable distribution systems aren't optimized at the "twig and leaf" end of the distribution tree, so your neighbors usage can impact your speed-both up- and downstream.

DSL speed isn't affected by one's neighbors, but the condition of the copper wires that go to your home can have a huge impact on your speed-I have all new wiring from the brand new Remote Terminal to my brand new house, and I get just about exactly my promised "up to X" speed, but other folks I know are on older wires and get lower speeds.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

neon_duke
Jun 19, 2004, 12:59 AM

Well, Verizon finally got my line conditioned today, so I uncrated the modem and plugged it in. Disconnect the phone line from the AEBS modem, run short ethernet cable from AEBS WAN port to the aDSL box, and wire from aDSL to the phone jack. That's it. Quit and relaunch Safari, and it's broadband city.

2611 kbps down / 276 up. With 4 machines sharing this connection the family should be a lot happier!

I have a question, though: I did not restart the Mac or the AEBS, and now the Airport Admin tells me it can't read the configuration when I try to change the settings. I want to turn on Mac address filtering. Is the configuration issue related to the fact that I switched the ISP connection, and will powering off/on the base station help?

Thanks in advance.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules