Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which G5 2 GHz (old vs new)

Which G5 2 GHz (old vs new)
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 01:47 PM

I've compared the old vs the new 2.0 GHz and it appears that they are nearly identical except for the video card and the fan placement in the new case.

I like the ATI video card, it should provide better throughput, but I think the minor changes that the case went through will provide a quieter cooler g5 plus I like the looks of it better

Any thoughts or opinions?

btw I was planning on picking this up at my local apple store so doing bto with the ati is not an option.

Mike

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 03:30 PM

I don't know, for the savings you get on a diso unit I think I would rather have the older one. I do have that one myself but if I were at the point you are that is what I would look at. Is several hundred dollars worth it to you just to have a different looking heatsink cover? It boils down to what is important to you.

Cop Rock
Jun 11, 2004, 03:31 PM

The new G5 has an 8x Superdrive compared to the 4x Superdrive in the old G5.

Personally I'd probably get the old 2GHz machine (and I've been considering one of the Special Deals refurbished Dual 2GHz machines for $1999).

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 03:46 PM

The local apple store I called had both the old and the new for the same price so I'm not gaining anyhting on that front. If the price was cheaper I will probably opt for the old. If they won't match the price that apple has on the refurb page, then I think I'm going to go for the new 2.0GHz.

Can't wait, I'll be going there Monday

Mike

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 11, 2004, 03:54 PM

..feb '05

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 05:21 PM

If you get the new 2.0, you should consider paying $49 and upgrading the video card to the Radeon 9600xt.

I went through the same decision process. I ended up ordering the refurbished 2.0 from the Apple website for $1999. It should be delivered tomorrow. I still have some concerns--radeon 9600 pro and the fan noise problems that have been mentioned about the Rev. A's. But $1999 just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up for a dual 2.0.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2004, 06:19 PM

I think I'm going to buy the new one, just 'cuz it's new.
I'm also going to stick with the NVIDIA card because I'm holding out for either an ATI x800 or an NVIDIA 6800.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace:
I think I'm going to buy the new one, just 'cuz it's new.
I'm also going to stick with the NVIDIA card because I'm holding out for either an ATI x800 or an NVIDIA 6800.
If they will let me, I wlil do it, but I thought that was only available at the online apple store.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules