Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Love Firefox, but new theme is fugly

Love Firefox, but new theme is fugly
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 09:02 PM

I really don't like the new firefox theme. Does anyone know what the name of the old 0.8 default theme was so I can reinstall it? I tried the official themes page to no avail...

thanks!

-stuffedm

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 09:21 PM

They picked this theme to standardize the look across all platforms. Someone could take the old theme and port it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

(I actually think it looks a lot better)

All glory to the hypnotoad.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 09:45 PM

As was pointed out in the other Firefox thread (*ahem*), it's not a new theme. It's the same old Pinstripe theme with a mere 4 icons changed. Since it is the old theme, I don't think you'll be able to revert. Maybe you could beg the author or something. Or you could try hacking it yourself.

120db
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 11:09 PM

I for one definitely prefer the old four icons. I liked how small and tight they were. These just seem a bit horsey. Hopefully there will be some way to change em, but if not I'll live with it. I usually only use firefox in spurts anyways and always end up back at safari.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 11:57 PM

The new icons suck . . . big time.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 06:21 AM

Did anyone else go... Omniweb?

That original aqua foolishness.
A bad choice in my opinion, but i understand the
desire for standardization.

I desire excellent standardization.
Nice browser though.

(another safari user)
poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2004, 06:28 AM

Given that the icons still look different between the Mac and Windows/Linux versions, I'm not buying the 'standardization' argument. Yes, it's only five icons, but those icons look extremely inelegant on Macs compared to the 0.8 versions.

Franly, this is something worth raising a ruckus about. Mac users are known for not tolerating second-best solutions; the old icons were more than consistent enough with the new theme -given that they use the same shapes in their symbols- that there was no valid reason to change them, especially since not a single one of the new icons is identical to the Win/Lin version anyway.
( Last edited by Millennium; Jun 16, 2004 at 07:04 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 06:40 AM

Hmm, I like the new theme!

However does anyone know if you can setup a spell checker in Firefox? it is the only thing holding me back so far...

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 07:06 AM

I really HATE the new buttons. Why fix something that isn't broken?

btw: here is the homepage of the creator -> http://www.kmgerich.com

manfreds
Jun 16, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Franly, this is something worth raising a ruckus about. Mac users are known for not tolerating second-best solutions; the old icons were more than consistent enough with the new theme -given that they use the same shapes in their symbols- that there was no valid reason to change them, especially since not a single one of the new icons is identical to the Win/Lin version anyway.
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246771

I filed a bug against those new icons and encountered some aggressive repudiation. I was even threatened to lose my bugzilla account.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 07:34 AM

I rather have the netscape modern look

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 09:37 AM

Those icons are rather weak. After seeing the GUI of Safari, I fully believe that browsers should be as neutral as possible and those new icons are a step backward with Shiny Aqua and colorful palette.

Previous one was tons better, IMHO.

delete
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Previous one was tons better, IMHO.
AgreeAgreeAgree
I've used Mozilla/Firefox for a very long time and the Pinstripe theme was such a step forward in style and OSX integration after using the supplied themes. This seems to be a step backwards. Or at least sideways.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 10:48 AM

I actually quite like the new buttons - especially the flatness, although the colour is a bit vivid.

However, this isn't 1.0 yet - there's still time for them to change again.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by manfreds:

I filed a bug against those new icons and encountered some aggressive repudiation. I was even threatened to lose my bugzilla account.
Well, if it's any consolation, I gave it my vote

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 11:48 AM

Well I for one prefer the new icons to the old "button style" icons. I like the "colorful icon with a shadow" look instead of the "raised glass button with no color" look. But maybe that's just me ...

OAW

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 16, 2004, 12:39 PM

Mozilla's take:

It's really difficult to do this right. People got pissed off when the last default theme was chosen. Also, when you think about it, when has the majority ever been right? The fact is, more people think they have good taste and others would agree with. Everyone thinks that their own taste is fantastic. It's good that we have people for whom the buck stops. Ben Goodger is the ultimate decider of what happens to Firefox, it's not a democracy, it's Ben Goodger, and that's fine. If you want it to be different, you are encouraged to make your own.

No offense to the author of Qute. His feelings are hurt, I'm sure if I was in his position, my feelings would be hurt. He probably feels like we're discarding his work, and that's sad. The fact is, it is good that one person is in charge, and that the whole product reflects the direction of one person. I think people are welcome to complain, and that's fine. I would rather hear the complaint from the guy who is willing to build an entire theme than the people who are whining without supplying a patch.

Personally, I also like 0.8's Qute icons much better. However, I think you simply were insulting in that "bug report".

Anyways, I just replaced the theme on Windows to the 0.8 version. Unfortunately, you can't do this for OS X. So now, my Windows Firefox looks much better than my OS X Firefox.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 16, 2004 at 12:47 PM. )

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 12:54 PM

Can't understand why they would do that

Originally posted by manfreds in bugzilla:
The "powers-that-be" - who are those sissies that they don't dare to reveal their name?
Yes, who are they? Why aren't they listed in the about box?

Oh, wait... they are.

stephenh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 01:09 PM

As a "power-that-be", heh, I would just like to say that the "new" navigation icons in OS X were designed a while ago before we even decided to initially go with the "button" look. They are only indirectly related to the Windows theme because they came first.

Their inclusion in 0.9 was only partly influenced by any desire for cross-platform standardization. We made them, we like them, we changed our minds about "button" look.

Also, they in no way break the HIG. Wherever you got the idea that icons have to be buttons I have no idea. Toolbar icons perform actions related to the program, the resulting icon should reflect what that action will be. It is as simple as that.

If you don't like it download a new theme, that is the best advice I can give.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 03:56 PM

Perhaps they should hire Adam...

In Adam we trust...

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 04:46 PM

With every change there is always resistance. Personally, I dont think the new theme is that great, but at the same time I dont thikn it's bad. After using it for a few days now, I'm already used to it and dont even notice it. It's fine. I generally dont notice the buttons anyways because I typically use keyboard navigation. CMD <- to go back, CMD -> to go forward, CMD . to stop loading, etc etc...

Give it a few months, you'll get over it.

The theme author said in some interview he considers it a "0.1" version and it still needs a lot of work. I agree and look forward to the changes, however I dont mind using it as is right now.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

MaxGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 04:57 PM

Can somebody help me with trying to install a new theme into Firefox? I open Tools>Themes>Get More Themes. A web page then opens with themes. I selected one, clicked download, and then the Download Manager asks me where to install it. In previous versions the installation happened automatically. Is there some OS setting I need to change for .jar files? Thanks.

Never mind----
I found the fix: In Preferences>Advanced>Software Update put a check in "Allow web sites to install software"
( Last edited by MaxGuru; Jun 16, 2004 at 06:10 PM. )

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Perhaps they should hire Adam...

In Adam we trust...
hear hear.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
hear hear.
He has such a solid sense of how icons should look!

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 09:38 PM

The reload button is pure ass...sorry but I had to say it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules