Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > it was an accident!

it was an accident!
mikeini
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2004, 07:55 PM

well im in the shower and i had just go tback from surfin and since no one else washome i figured i woudl play itunes through my stereo liek i usually do and just cracnk it up alittle so i can hear in teh shower.

its fine .. and hten suddenly i hear something and the music stops. im like thats wierd (no one was home)..

i getout.

one of teh parts for surround sound (its an old aiwa .. the "small" surround sound speakers) that go along with the sub .. they usually rest on top of the normal speakers but this one decided to fall right onto the laptop nice and open and wreak havoc.

it dented the bootom left corner (and left a black mark on the al), a scratch diagnol to the q key and then there are 2 big scartches on teh screen!!!

AND ITS ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD!! argh! the one time i wish i could get a hardware prob so i can get a new one. man im still fuming .. and depressed at teh same time.

any way to get a scratch off the lcd or make it less noticable ...

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2004, 08:05 PM

Weak man
Who reads this???

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 08:18 PM

Applecare. Do you have it? If so, they will most likely replace it.

A buddy of mine just sent his in and they're replacing the whole case on his powerbook because it fell off of an iCurve.

vinster
Senior User
Jun 17, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by mikeini:
it dented the bootom left corner (and left a black mark on the al), a scratch diagnol to the q key and then there are 2 big scartches on teh screen!!!

Man, I feel your pain.

I did a quick Google search for 'lcd scratch remover' which turned up a couple of results (advertised for cell phones and iPods though so not to sure how it would work on a laptop LCD). If it's any consolation, over time the scratches will become less noticeable to you.

Also, do you have home-owner's insurance? They may cover you. You might also want to call Apple just to find out what it would cost to repair, ante up and then be extra careful from now on (expensive lesson but at least things will be nice and new again).

BTW: What model PowerBook is it?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Blue Flame:
Applecare. Do you have it? If so, they will most likely replace it.

A buddy of mine just sent his in and they're replacing the whole case on his powerbook because it fell off of an iCurve.
AppleCare most decidedly will not cover accidental damage like that.

Your friend either got really lucky with an Apple person, or there was no evidence of accidental damage.

tooki

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 05:05 AM

what about home insurance? they must cover it, though

Rangers4me
Jun 19, 2004, 10:16 AM

Did you buy it on American Express? They have a 3 month warranty on any product you buy, that will cover anything (accident or whatever).

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2004, 11:01 AM

Also safeware.com fixes accidental damage.

Sincerely,
Mel

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 12:55 PM

its all good at this point.

i can live with it - but its just frustrating to ruin such a b-e-a-utiful machine or have it harmed in any shape way or form.

just means i will have to save up and just get another one when the g5's come out

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by mikeini:
well im in the shower and i had just go tback from surfin and since no one else washome i figured i woudl play itunes through my stereo liek i usually do and just cracnk it up alittle so i can hear in teh shower.

its fine .. and hten suddenly i hear something and the music stops. im like thats wierd (no one was home)..

i getout.

one of teh parts for surround sound (its an old aiwa .. the "small" surround sound speakers) that go along with the sub .. they usually rest on top of the normal speakers but this one decided to fall right onto the laptop nice and open and wreak havoc.

AND ITS ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD!! argh! the one time i wish i could get a hardware prob so i can get a new one. man im still fuming .. and depressed at teh same time.

incredible spelling.
we don't have time to stop for gas

mikeini  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 06:52 PM

haha. ya well this is what happens when perfection is dented and then you are too lazy to fix your mistakes .. but i know you guys are smart enough to read through teh gibberish.

Forum Links
Forum Rules